Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers command to clean up file systems Post 302304019 by ahjchr on Saturday 4th of April 2009 12:08:14 PM
Old 04-04-2009
command to clean up file systems

As you will verify, I am a really naive user of AIX 5.1. As such I wonder if you could possibly let me know of a command or procedure I could use to automatically, globally and safely, remove all useless files from my machine. I'm not referring to my own files because I perfectly know which of them are useful. Instead I'm taking of directories and files in /tmp, /var/tmp and var/adm. Case in point: my /tmp contains a large number of empty subdirectories, the names of which are patterned as "aaa??????", "baa??????", etc.

If there is no global and safe removal command, would I damage the system if I remove all the contents of /tmp, /var/tmp directories by hand? And which could I safely remove from /var/adm?
By the way, where do all those "aaa.." and "baa.." directories come from?

Many thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Clean file in single action

What one finds challenging another finds simple... (HPUX B.11.11) I have a text file named something like 12345.dst that could look like this: DOG CAT NONE TEST CAT What I want to end up with is 12345.dst looking like this: CAT DOG TEST removing "NONE" should it be there and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: djp
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Clean Text File

HI, I have a file which comes from crystal reports in the below format. I need to clean the file so that i will only have the columns(deptid,empid,ename,sal) and the data below the column names. There is a bug in the repoting tool( we only see page1-1 for every department).The rundate change... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kris01752
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Clean File

BeginDate 07/01/06 End: 07/31/06 Cust: A02991 - Burnham 0002000 5,829,773 145.3 0009701 4,043,850 267.3 2005000 286,785.13 100.0 BeginDate 07/01/06 End: 07/31/06 Cust: A01239 - East Track PSE Index A 0009902 317,356.82 890.2 0020021 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kris01752
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Clean directories by reading from file

I have a file in following format directory1=/out/log purgedays1=4 extn1=log,out,txt directory2=/clean/log purgedays2=4 extn2=log,out now i need need to create a script that reads this file and cleans all the files with the given extn from the given directory. The catch here is that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: max_payne1234
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed command to clean xml tag

Hi, Can someone help me come up with a generic sed command to clean a tag off its attributes? For eg. Input String - <tag attrib=new>This String</tag> should undergo a sed transformation to get Output String - <tag >This String</tag> This works - echo "<tag attrib=new>This</tag>" |... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamwha1am
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unable to clean up file system

Hi, Has anyone ever encountered the following scenario: I am working on a SUN server with solaris 10 installed and veritas managing the filesystem. One of the file systems has become full: df -kh /ossrc/dbdumps Filesystem size used avail capacity Mounted on... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: eeidel
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

clean passwd file based on db table (master)

The purpose of this script is to scan the /etc/passwd file one line at a time comparing the usernames to the usernames found in a database table. I will later locked every account which is not in the database table. I have export the userlist from the database in a file (/tmp/userlist). It... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Banks187
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Clean console output routed to a file

A friend routed some console output to a file for me. The problem is he used backspace and escape sequences all over the place. Using vi to view the file makes it difficult to read. Is there a program that will process the backspaces and remove the escape sequences? e.g., bash-3.00$ pwd^ (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: eddyq
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[SOLVED] help clean up file movement script

Hello Group, Once again another script hacked together from a few sources to try and suit my needs. This is to go through a /temp directory and for each ls entry ask which Dir of three I want it sorted. The script works but there are a few behaviors that are odd so I figured I'd ask for help... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dpreviti
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to clean memory after command run?

Hello, i have an loop (while) in bash and i seen after a while sctipt returned like: wget: error while loading shared libraries: libselinux.so.1: failed to map segment from shared object: Cannot allocate memory wget: error while loading shared libraries: libcrypto.so.6: failed to map segment... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: postcd
5 Replies
proc(n) 						       Tcl Built-In Commands							   proc(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
proc - Create a Tcl procedure SYNOPSIS
proc name args body _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The proc command creates a new Tcl procedure named name, replacing any existing command or procedure there may have been by that name. Whenever the new command is invoked, the contents of body will be executed by the Tcl interpreter. Normally, name is unqualified (does not include the names of any containing namespaces), and the new procedure is created in the current namespace. If name includes any namespace qualifiers, the procedure is created in the specified namespace. Args specifies the formal arguments to the procedure. It consists of a list, possibly empty, each of whose elements specifies one argument. Each argument specifier is also a list with either one or two fields. If there is only a single field in the specifier then it is the name of the argument; if there are two fields, then the first is the argu- ment name and the second is its default value. When name is invoked a local variable will be created for each of the formal arguments to the procedure; its value will be the value of corresponding argument in the invoking command or the argument's default value. Arguments with default values need not be specified in a procedure invocation. However, there must be enough actual arguments for all the formal arguments that don't have defaults, and there must not be any extra actual arguments. There is one special case to permit procedures with variable numbers of arguments. If the last formal argument has the name args, then a call to the procedure may contain more actual arguments than the procedure has formals. In this case, all of the actual arguments starting at the one that would be assigned to args are combined into a list (as if the list command had been used); this combined value is assigned to the local variable args. When body is being executed, variable names normally refer to local variables, which are created automatically when referenced and deleted when the procedure returns. One local variable is automatically created for each of the procedure's arguments. Global variables can only be accessed by invoking the global command or the upvar command. Namespace variables can only be accessed by invoking the variable command or the upvar command. The proc command returns an empty string. When a procedure is invoked, the procedure's return value is the value specified in a return command. If the procedure doesn't execute an explicit return, then its return value is the value of the last command executed in the pro- cedure's body. If an error occurs while executing the procedure body, then the procedure-as-a-whole will return that same error. SEE ALSO
info(n), unknown(n) KEYWORDS
argument, procedure Tcl proc(n)