Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to use ftp commands inside shell script? Help please Post 302303901 by Dendany83 on Friday 3rd of April 2009 09:38:42 PM
Old 04-03-2009
Question How to use ftp commands inside shell script? Help please

Dears,

I'm new in shell scripting and i need your help, i would like to know how can i create a script to ftp to a certain unix/linux machine/server IP address and get a file for example without user intervention? How can i force the script to use a certain username and password to access this machine then execute the "change directory" to go to a certain path and get the requested file?

I appreaciate your help

Many thanks in advance

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

using FTP related commands in nawk utility in shell programming

I am facing problem while accesing FTP related commands in nawk code in bourne shell programming.I can able to connect to remote machine, but i can't able to get files from that machine. Please help me in this.If you send code along with the solution, then it will be usefull for me. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nrsekhar
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run unix commands in a new shell inside a shell script?

Hi , I am having one situation in which I need to run some simple unix commands after doing "chroot" command in a shell script. Which in turn creates a new shell. So scenario is that - I need to have one shell script which is ran as a part of crontab - in this shell script I need to do a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hkapil
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ftp files inside a shell script

I have a shell script where I am trying to ftp some files but I get the error message "EOF unclosed" every time the script reaches the ftp section. Here is how my script is written. #more code up here rm -f $object >> $LOG_FILE 2>&1 fi #end of if done #end of for loop ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: matrix1067
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix commands failing inside the shell script

When my script deals with large input files like 22Gb or 18 GB the basic commands like sort or join fails when run from inside the shell scripts. Can there be any specific reason for this? For e.g. sort -u -t "," -k1,1 a.csv > a.csv.uniq" sort -u -t "," -k1,1 b.csv > b.csv.uniq" The... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: esha
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Commands not executing after FTP in shell script

Hello In the shell script we have a FTP command like below ftp -n -v -q winftp.principal.com >/infa/datafiles/GRP/Scripts/ftp_from_infa_dvcn.log<<END_SCRIPT   quote USER $FTP_USER quote PASS $FTP_PASS ascii lcd $FTP_LOCALDIR cd $FTP_FLDR put $FTP_FILE   bye exit If i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Pratik4891
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing multiple ssh commands inside a shell simultaneously

I would like to execute a commands in four different servers through ssh at a single instance(simultaneously). Below are the details with examples, ssh user1@server1 "grep xxxx logs" ssh user1@server2 "grep xxxx logs" ssh user1@server3 "grep xxxx logs" Each statement will take some... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amutha
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

RMAN commands inside crontab shell script

Hello I'm trying to write simple script to delete archive logs for RMAN, unfortunately it's not working, I tried two way to do that: #!/bin/ksh echo "Start ....." rman target=/ << EOF RUN { delete force noprompt archivelog until time 'sysdate-10'; } EXIT; EOF echo "END ..." echo... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: samer.odeh
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Usage of shell commands inside a C program

Hi I have a program int main(int srgc, char *argv) { for(int i=1; i<50; i++) { system("dd if=/dev/zero of=file$i bs=1024 count=$i"); } return 0; } My doubt is how to use the "$i" value inside C code Please help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why commands inside bash script lost effectiveness?

Hi, I have a bash script to run many system commands on CentOS machine, but I am puzzled by some commands had no effect on parent environment. For example, I want to refresh the desktop xdg menu when some processes added or deleted items from desktop xdg menu. If I run "killall gnome-panel"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hce
4 Replies

10. Open Source

Shell script file movement to a Mail Box server using ftp commands

Hi All, I have a current Process that runs "windows script " for the file movement that needs to changed to a "DataStage Process (Using shell script )" Source :Text file is getting generated as part of Datastage Jobs processes and resides in a shared drive (Unix server) Target :ftp... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: developer.dwh9
2 Replies
netrc(4)							   File Formats 							  netrc(4)

NAME
netrc - file for ftp remote login data DESCRIPTION
The .netrc file contains data for logging in to a remote host over the network for file transfers by ftp(1). This file resides in the user's home directory on the machine initiating the file transfer. Its permissions should be set to disallow read access by group and oth- ers. See chmod(1). Tokens can be separated by SPACE, TAB, or NEWLINE characters. The following tokens are supported: account string Supply an additional account password. If this token is present, the auto-login process supplies the specified string if the remote server requires an additional account password. If the remote server does not require an additional account password, the auto-login process initiates an ACCT command. default Same as machine name, except that default matches any name. There can be only one default token, and it must be after all machine tokens. The default token is normally used as follows: default login anonymous password user@site Such an entry gives the user automatic anonymous ftp login to machines not specified in .netrc. login name Identify a user on the remote machine. If this token is present, the auto-login process initiates a login using the specified name. machine name Identify a remote machine name. The auto-login process searches the .netrc file for a machine token that matches the remote machine specified on the ftp command line or as an open command argument. Once a match is made, the subsequent .netrc tokens are processed, stopping when the EOF is reached or another machine token is encountered. macdef name Define a macro. This token functions the same as ftp macdef. A macro is defined with the specified name; its contents begin with the next .netrc line and continue until a null line (consecutive NEWLINE characters) is encountered. If a macro named init is defined, it is automatically executed as the last step in the auto-login process. password string Supply a password. If this token is present, the auto-login process supplies the specified string if the remote server requires a password as part of the login process. If this token is present in the .netrc file, ftp aborts the auto-login process if the .netrc is readable by anyone besides the user. skipsyst Skip the SYST command that is sent by default to all remote servers upon connection. The system command is what enables the automatic use of binary mode rather than the protocol default ascii mode. As some older servers cannot handle the ftp command, this directive is provided to allow inter-operability with these servers. EXAMPLES
Example 1 A Sample .netrc File A .netrc file containing the following line: machine ray login demo password mypassword allows an autologin to the machine ray using the login name demo with password mypassword. FILES
~/.netrc SEE ALSO
chmod(1), ftp(1), in.ftpd(1M) SunOS 5.11 25 Aug 2006 netrc(4)