Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting remove range part of a file with sed Post 302303782 by Franklin52 on Friday 3rd of April 2009 12:20:36 PM
Old 04-03-2009
With awk:

Code:
awk 'p && /\[/{p=0} /[b]/{p=1} !p' file

Use nawk or /usr/xpg4/bin/awk on Solaris if you get errors.

Regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

How do I take out(remove) the date part in the file name?

Hi Guys here I am again, I have two files in a specified location. Location ex: /opt/xdm/input/ input file names: 1. abc_app.yyyymmdd.dtd 2. abd_app.yyyymmdd.dtd I need to build a code that reads the files from the location based on the oldest date and cuts the date part... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ruthless
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove certain part of file name

Hi, Is it possible to remove the first part of the file name using find. i.e i have something like 2006abc.txt , 1007bed.txt etc, I wanna rename them to abc.txt , bed.txt I tried some stupid way.. find . -name '*.txt' -exec mv {} `cut -f2-5 -d"_" {}` \; somehow iam not getting it. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: braindrain
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove part of the file

I have an xml file, from where I need to take out Application2 entries and keep the others. I need to remove from <product> to </product> and the key element to look for while removing should be <application> as other pairs can be same for others. <product> ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: chiru_h
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove strings within range using sed

Hey folks I have a big file that contains junk data between the tags <point> and </point> and I need to delete it (including `<point>' and `</point>'). i.e. a = 1 <point> 123123 2342352 234231 234256 </point> print a needs to become a = 1 print a I'm certain that this is a... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksk
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Sed to remove part of line with regex

Greetings everyone. Right now I am working on a script to be used during automated deployment of servers. What I have to do is remove localhost.localdomain and localhost6.localdomain6 from the /etc/hosts file. Simple, right? Except most of the examples I've found using sed want to delete the entire... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: msarro
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove part of file name with sed & mv

Ok, so I have bunch of files that are named "orange__file_name.asm" and I want to batch rename them to "file_name.asm" I know that using "ls | sed s/orange__//" will get rid of the part of the file name I do not want. But how do I combine that with the mv command to actually do it? Thanks JG (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: john galt
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove a range of lines from a file using sed

Hi I am having some issue editing a file in sed. What I want to do is, in a loop pass a variable to a sed command. Sed should then search a file for a line that matches that variable, then remove all lines below until it reaches a line starting with a constant. I have managed to write a... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Andy82
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove the date part of the file?

Hi Gurus, I have file name like: abcd.20131005.dat I need to remove mid part of data final name should be abcd.dat thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken6503
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove part of the file using a condition

Gents, Is there the chance to remove part of the file, Taking in consideration this condition. For each record the first row start with the string % VE should be 56 rows for each records.. first row = % VE last row = % sw total 56 rows for each record. Then in the case that the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jiam912
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk to remove specific column to one range

I need to remove specific column to one range source file 3 1 000123456 2 2 000123569 3 3 000123564 12 000123156 15 000125648 128 000125648 Output required 3 000123456 2 000123569 3 000123564 12 000123156 15 000125648 128 000125648 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranjancom2000
6 Replies
ucblinks(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands					      ucblinks(1B)

NAME
ucblinks - adds /dev entries to give SunOS 4.x compatible names to SunOS 5.x devices SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/ucblinks [-e rulebase] [-r rootdir] DESCRIPTION
ucblinks creates symbolic links under the /dev directory for devices whose SunOS 5.x names differ from their SunOS 4.x names. Where possi- ble, these symbolic links point to the device's SunOS 5.x name rather than to the actual /devices entry. ucblinks does not remove unneeded compatibility links; these must be removed by hand. ucblinks should be called each time the system is reconfiguration-booted, after any new SunOS 5.x links that are needed have been created, since the reconfiguration may have resulted in more compatibility names being needed. In releases prior to SunOS 5.4, ucblinks used a nawk rule-base to construct the SunOS 4.x compatible names. ucblinks no longer uses nawk for the default operation, although nawk rule-bases can still be specifed with the -e option. The nawk rule-base equivalent to the SunOS 5.4 default operation can be found in /usr/ucblib/ucblinks.awk. OPTIONS
-e rulebase Specify rulebase as the file containing nawk(1) pattern-action statements. -r rootdir Specify rootdir as the directory under which dev and devices will be found, rather than the standard root directory /. FILES
/usr/ucblib/ucblinks.awk sample rule-base for compatibility links ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
devlinks(1M), disks(1M), ports(1M), tapes(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 13 Apr 1994 ucblinks(1B)