Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting NAWK - seach pattern for special characters - } dbl qt - sng qt Post 302303738 by d.f. on Friday 3rd of April 2009 10:59:40 AM
Old 04-03-2009
I'm sure its not this easy, but is it a direct cut and paste of your code?

Code:

nawk -v pat="\}\"\'\."'

It looks like the last single quote is out of place...

Code:
nawk -v pat="\}\"\'\."

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

nawk-how count the number of occurances of a pattern, when don't know the pattern

I've written a script to count the total size of SAN storage LUNs, and also display the LUN sizes. From server to server, the LUNs sizes differ. What I want to do is count the occurances as they occur and change. These are the LUN sizes: 49.95 49.95 49.95 49.95 49.95 49.95 49.95 49.95... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyber111
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to seach junk or special char in vi edit

Hi, I have text file which is genrated by some external system(not sure of what is the edirot used) I copied to my Solaris machine and did vi found some strange text like below in one line. Ren\351 Erich I wanted to find all places that contain \351, in vi I am unable search unsing... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: McLan
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed delete pattern with special characters

Hi all, I have the following lines <b>A gtwrhwrthwr text hghthwrhtwrtw </b><font color='#06C'>; text text (text) <b>B gtwrhwrthwr text hghthwrhtwrtw </b><font color='#06C'>; text text (text) <b>J gtwrhwrthwr text hghthwrhtwrtw </b><font color='#06C'>; text text (text) and I would like to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: stinkefisch
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk search pattern with special characters passed from CL

I'm very new to awk and sed and I've been struggling with this for a while. I'm trying to search a file for a string with special characters and this string is a command line argument to a simple script. ./myscript "searchpattern" file #!/bin/sh awk "/$1/" $2 > dupelistfilter.txt sed... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cue
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED equivalent for grep -w -f with pattern having special characters

I'm looking for SED equivalent for grep -w -f. All I want is to search a list of patterns from a file. Also If the pattern doesn't match I do not want "null returned", rather I would prefer some text as place holder say "BLANK LINE" as I intend to process the output file based on line number. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: novice_man
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed or awk : pattern selection based on special characters

Hello All, I am here again scratching my head on pattern selection with special characters. I have a large file having around 200 entries and i have to select a single line based on a pattern. I am able to do that: Code: cat mytest.txt | awk -F: '/myregex/ { print $2}' ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: usha rao
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace special characters with Escape characters?

i need to replace the any special characters with escape characters like below. test!=123-> test\!\=123 !@#$%^&*()-= to be replaced by \!\@\#\$\%\^\&\*\(\)\-\= (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk seach and printing a particular pattern

Hi i need a help for this. the output of a command is like below 1 /tmp/x 2.2K /tmp/y 3.2k /tmp/z 1G /tmp/a/b 2.2G /tmp/c 3.4k /tmp/d Now i need to grep for the paths which are in GB..like below 1G /tmp/a/b 2.2G /tmp/c pls suggest me, how can i... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumar85shiv
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nawk special numbers

Just stumbled over a terrible feature in nawk derivates. I did not find it documented in man pages. HP-UX 11.31: echo info | awk '{print $1+0}' inf echo nano | awk '{print $1+0}' nan echo info | awk '{print $1-$1}' -nanSolaris 10: echo info | nawk '{print $1+0}' Inf echo nano | nawk... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: MadeInGermany
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Replace Pattern with another that has Special Characters

Hello Team, Any help would be much appreciated for the below scenario: I have a sed command below where I am trying to replace the contents of 'old_pkey' variable with 'new_pkey' variable in a Soap request file (delete_request.txt). This works fine for regular string values, but this new_pkey... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ChicagoBlues
8 Replies
gmatch(3GEN)					     String Pattern-Matching Library Functions					      gmatch(3GEN)

NAME
gmatch - shell global pattern matching SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag ... ] file ... -lgen [ library ... ] #include <libgen.h> int gmatch(const char *str, const char *pattern); DESCRIPTION
gmatch() checks whether the null-terminated string str matches the null-terminated pattern string pattern. See the sh(1), section File Name Generation, for a discussion of pattern matching. A backslash () is used as an escape character in pattern strings. RETURN VALUES
gmatch() returns non-zero if the pattern matches the string, zero if the pattern does not. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Examples of gmatch() function. In the following example, gmatch() returns non-zero (true) for all strings with "a" or "-" as their last character. char *s; gmatch (s, "*[a-]" ) ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |MT-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
sh(1), attributes(5) NOTES
When compiling multithreaded applications, the _REENTRANT flag must be defined on the compile line. This flag should only be used in mul- tithreaded applications. SunOS 5.10 29 Dec 1996 gmatch(3GEN)