Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: unary operator expected
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting unary operator expected Post 302303703 by timgolding on Friday 3rd of April 2009 10:08:25 AM
Old 04-03-2009
Sorry i was being a noob i thought

Code:
ls -l asl.log| awk '{printf "%s",$5}'

Was putting the output into $5 and it wasn't so i just used

Code:
cd /var/log
VAR=`ls -l asl.log| awk '{printf "%s",$5}'`

max=300

if [ $VAR -gt $max ]; then echo "wohoo";
else echo "grr";
fi

Which piped the output to VAR and i get "wohoo". Wohooo Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unary operator expected error

Hi I am doing a script like if then echo "table name dosent exist" exit fi the problem is if $table_name is null then i am getting the error Please help me Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssuresh1999
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

unary operator expected

hi i am trying to compare a value with value 50. but i am getting " I am using if then echo "------------" fi please help thanks in advance Satya (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Satyak
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[: =: unary operator expected

HI, while running a script, I got the below mentioned error. /bin/sh: line10 : supportedMozillaVersion() { case "$*" in *rv:1.*) return 0;; *rv:.*) return 0;; *rv:*) return 1;; Mozilla\ 1.*) return 0;; Mozilla\ .*) return 0;; *) return 1;; esac } supportedFirefoxVersion() { case... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhag281
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

line 5: [: -gt: unary operator expected

Hello all, :confused: I am not getting this error. Pls help me. ./construct_operon.sh: line 5: #!/bin/bash # Construct Operons using gene pairs. rm -rf operons_result lines=`awk 'END {print NR}' ecoli_operons` while ; do head -1 ecoli_operons | awk '{print $1"\n"$2}' > pattern ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: admax
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Error : -ne: unary operator expected

find . -name "*.*"|xargs grep WT:DBF_WL>> $F Wfexist=`cat $F|grep $i` echo $Wfexist if ; then echo $Wfexist echo "Workflow Exist" else touch $O chmod 777 $O echo $Wfexist echo $WfExist >> $O fi I am getting the error that -ne: unary operator expected in the line with red... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ritu.s
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem unary operator expected

I get the following error ./get_NE05: line 42: while do echo ${STRING_NAME} J=1 if ; then EXT=0$I else EXT=$I fi while do echo $I-$J #calculating last occurrence OCCURRENCE=`grep -io "${STRING_NAME}"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

unary operator expected

i=0 while Shell script reports an error "unary operator expected" pointing the above line. $i by default is 0 and holds integer value and $buf is also holding integer value. Please can some one let me know what is missing. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sunrexstar
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

: unary operator expected

Hiya all, Why do I get a :unary operator expected when I try to put a condition statement in my shell script (sh) like so and how to fix? if ; then echo "say hello" else echo "don't say hello" fi ? It seems if the script receives an argument it works but if I don't put an... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyberfrog
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[: -gt: unary operator expected

Hi I have problem with my script. I dont now why but i don't change anything and script stop working. this is my code: #!/bin/sh for i in `ps -A | grep pocron.sh | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}'` do COUNT=$((COUNT+1)) done ostatnie_wykonanie=`cat porader.log`... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fotex
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unary operator expected

In all my Googling, this usually happens when someone is comparing a variable, and that variable is unset. That doesn't appear to be the case for me... #!/bin/bash -x while read line do f=$(echo $line | tr -s ' ' | cut -d' ' -f 3) echo $f if then echo "This... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jnojr
2 Replies
UPSLOG(8)							    NUT Manual								 UPSLOG(8)

NAME
upslog - UPS status logger SYNOPSIS
upslog -h upslog [OPTIONS] DESCRIPTION
upslog is a daemon that will poll a UPS at periodic intervals, fetch the variables that interest you, format them, and write them to a file. The default format string includes variables that are supported by many common UPS models. See the description below to make your own. OPTIONS
-h Display the help message. -f format Monitor the UPS using this format string. Be sure to enclose format in quotes so your shell doesn't split it up. Valid escapes within this string are: %% Insert a single "%" %TIME format% Insert the time with strftime formatting %ETIME% Insert the number of seconds, ala time_t. This is now a 10 digit number. %HOST% insert the local hostname %UPSHOST% insert the host of the UPS being monitored %PID% insert the pid of upslog %VAR varname% insert the value of variable varname The default format string is: %TIME @Y@m@d @H@M@S% %VAR battery.charge% %VAR input.voltage% %VAR ups.load% [%VAR ups.status%] %VAR ups.temperature% %VAR input.frequency% -i interval Wait this many seconds between polls. This defaults to 30 seconds. If you require tighter timing, you should write your own logger using the upsclient(3) library. -l logfile Store the results in this file. You can use "-" for stdout, but upslog will remain in the foreground. -s ups Monitor this UPS. The format for this option is upsname[@hostname[:port]]. The default hostname is "localhost". -u username If started as root, upsmon will setuid(2) to the user id associated with username for security. If username is not defined, it will use the value that was compiled into the program. This defaults to "nobody", which is less than ideal. SERVICE DELAYS
The interval value is merely the number given to sleep(3) after running through the format string. Therefore, a query will actually take slightly longer than the interval, depending on the speed of your system. LOG ROTATION
upslog writes its PID to upslog.pid, and will reopen the log file if you send it a SIGHUP. This allows it to keep running when the log is rotated by an external program. SEE ALSO
Server: upsd(8) Clients: upsc(8), upscmd(8), upsrw(8), upsmon(8) Internet resources: The NUT (Network UPS Tools) home page: http://www.networkupstools.org/ Network UPS Tools 05/21/2012 UPSLOG(8)