Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How to avaoid the respawn
Operating Systems Solaris How to avaoid the respawn Post 302303605 by kumarmani on Friday 3rd of April 2009 04:48:45 AM
Old 04-03-2009
Which service you are talking about? There are many services which are dependent service which get start based on dependencies.

Also what do you mean by “But i need the services should be in online and the processes should not get started if it is stopped manually”

Services is actually a running process and once you stop some process with svcadm disable it shouldn't get start automatically not even after reboot.

Last edited by kumarmani; 04-03-2009 at 05:56 AM..

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

java process does not respawn

Hi, I am working on Solaris 8 on sunblade 150 machine.I have a java code jar file which I have configured in inittab to respawn.When I kill the process as per the respawn property the new process id gets generated.If I keep killing the process after 4-5 tries the process does not respawn.Sometimes... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: girish_shukla
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Respawn httpd using init

How to auto restart httpd(apache) with inittab respawn? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
4 Replies
starting(7)                                              Miscellaneous Information Manual                                              starting(7)

NAME
starting - event signalling that a job is starting SYNOPSIS
starting JOB=JOB INSTANCE=INSTANCE [ENV]... DESCRIPTION
The starting event is generated by the Upstart init(8) daemon when a new instance of a job begins starting. The JOB environment variable contains the job name, and the INSTANCE environment variable contains the instance name which will be empty for single-instance jobs. init(8) will wait for all services started by this event to be running, all tasks started by this event to have finished and all jobs stopped by this event to be stopped before allowing the job to continue starting. This allows jobs to effectively insert themselves as dependencies of other jobs. The event is typically combined with the stopped(7) event by services. Job configuration files may use the export stanza to export environment variables from their own environment into the starting event. See init(5) for more details. EXAMPLE
A service that wishes to be running whenever another service would be running, started before and stopped after it, might use: start on starting apache stop on stopped apache A task that must be run before another task or service is started might use: start on starting postgresql SEE ALSO
started(7) stopping(7) stopped(7) init(5) Upstart 2009-07-09 starting(7)