Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Spaces behaviour in shell
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Spaces behaviour in shell Post 302303542 by SDelroen on Friday 3rd of April 2009 12:53:06 AM
Old 04-03-2009
Spaces behaviour in shell

Hello,

I am a bit puzzled by the way my shell treats spaces in filenames.

An example will be way clearer than any explanation I can make:
Code:
$ ls test\ file\ with\ spaces
test file with spaces
$ var="test\ file\ with\ spaces"
$ echo $var
test\ file\ with\ spaces
$ ls $var
ls: cannot access test\: No such file or directory
ls: cannot access file\: No such file or directory
ls: cannot access with\: No such file or directory
ls: cannot access spaces: No such file or directory

The problem is the same if I am using double quotes around the filename or when I nest a command displaying the filename.

I've been crawling on the internet for a long time, but I haven't been able to find any documentation on this particular issue.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

any explanation for thsi shell script behaviour

hello whats the difference between excuting a shell script as a)sh myscript.sh b). ./myscript.sh i noticed that my shell script works fine when i run it as . ./myscript .sh but fails when i run it as sh myscript.sh could anybody explain why. the shell script is very simple ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: xiamin
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strip leading and trailing spaces only in a shell variable with embedded spaces

I am trying to strip all leading and trailing spaces of a shell variable using either awk or sed or any other utility, however unscuccessful and need your help. echo $SH_VAR | command_line Syntax. The SH_VAR contains embedded spaces which needs to be preserved. I need only for the leading and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

TRIM spaces in shell

am get a value like ' 15' in a variable what is the easiest method i can follow to strip 15 out (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anumkoshy
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass a string with spaces to a shell script

I'm a beginner and wasn't able to google my problem... I would like to pass a string with spaces to a shell script. my test_shell: #!/bin/sh -vx ####################################################### # generate_documentation (c) Ch.Affolter Nov. 2009 Version 1.0 #... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivelafete
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shell: reconcile language and sort behaviour

Hi Don't know if this is a dummy question, but let's give it a try. I yesterday had a problem with undefined behaviour in the sort shell command (I'm using bash), leading to different sort orders without apparent reasons. I resolved this by typing export LC_ALL="C" export LC_COLLATE="C"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jossojjos
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to pass string with spaces in shell

I have to pass a sentence in a file, the specs are as: cat run | sed 's/SRT/'$8'/g' | sed 's/plength/68/g' | sed 's/stcol/'$5'/g' | sed 's/encol/'$6'/g' | sed 's/brdtype/'$1'/g' | sed 's/brdtxt/'$3'/g' | sed 's/demotxt/Total '$2'/g' | sed 's/bantxt/ban_'$7'/g' | sed 's/validcodes/'$4'/g' >... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: patilrakesh1984
15 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with blank spaces in shell script

Hi, I did the following script: DIR=`pwd`;for i in `find . -name GESTION -type d`;do cd $i/..;setfacl -R -m g:directores:rwx, GESTION;echo $DIR'/'$i;cd $DIR;done This code do the following actions: 1. Starting inside a folder, it's searching for any folder called "GESTION" 2. Every time... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: argie01
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Spaces in filenames located in variables in shell.

Greetings. I am trying to do a script that will do some file copying for me. Unfortunately I have spaces in the directory names (which I cannot change) and the result is someone hard to achieve in shell scripts. I have searched everywhere on the web but does not manage to find the answer to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr.Glaurung
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert spaces between characters with pure shell

A file contains: abcdef I need : a b c d e f It's easy with sed sed 's/./& /g'but this is embedded linux that doesn't have sed/awk. The shell is unknown but it's bashlike. Parameter expansion works and seems promising and. A question mark seems to work as a wildcard, but there doesn't seem... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fubaya
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Korn shell behaviour in AIX

Hi, Consider the code snippet below: fun() { while read x do echo $x done < somefile_that_does_not_exists } fun echo I am here Korn shell on HPUX prints the message "I am here", while the behaviour is different on AIX korn shell. We do not get the message on AIX. Any... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: 116@434
5 Replies
ATF-TEST-PROGRAM(1)					    BSD General Commands Manual 				       ATF-TEST-PROGRAM(1)

NAME
atf-test-program -- common interface to ATF test programs SYNOPSIS
atf-test-program [-r resfile] [-s srcdir] [-v var1=value1 [.. -v varN=valueN]] test_case atf-test-program -l DESCRIPTION
Test programs written using the ATF libraries all share a common user interface, which is what this manual page describes. NOTE: There is no binary known as atf-test-program; what is described in this manual page is the command-line interface exposed by the atf-c, atf-c++ and atf-sh bindings. In the first synopsis form, the test program will execute the provided test case and print its results to the standard output, unless other- wise stated by the -r flag. Optionally, the test case name can be suffixed by ':cleanup', in which case the cleanup routine of the test case will be executed instead of the test case body; see atf-test-case(4). Note that the test case is executed without isolation, so it can and probably will create and modify files in the current directory. To execute test cases in a controller manner, refer to atf-run(1), which is the preferred way to run test cases. You should only execute test cases by hand for debugging purposes. In the second synopsis form, the test program will list all available test cases alongside their meta-data properties in a format that is machine parseable. This list is processed by atf-run(1) to know how to execute the test cases of a given test program. The following options are available: -l Lists available test cases alongside a brief description for each of them. -r resfile Specifies the file that will receive the test case result. If not specified, the test case prints its results to stdout. If the result of a test case needs to be parsed by another program, you must use this option to redirect the result to a file and then read the resulting file from the other program. Note: do not try to process the stdout of the test case because your program may break in the future. -s srcdir The path to the directory where the test program is located. This is needed in all cases, except when the test program is being executed from the current directory. The test program will use this path to locate any helper data files or utilities. -v var=value Sets the configuration variable var to the value value. SEE ALSO
atf-run(1), atf(7) BSD
February 6, 2011 BSD