Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Fedora default session in screen command Post 302303346 by nsharath on Thursday 2nd of April 2009 11:53:28 AM
Old 04-02-2009
Bug doubt in screen

Hello sir,
I do know that 'screen -ls' will give the info abt the screens created by us.
BUt I wanted to know what is the name of the screen that is started(by default) when we click on terminal ????

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

My screen saver for a plain session

Good day. :) I don't know exactly where or how to post this kind of stuff, but I though I'd like to have a look at my "Screen Saver" in progress. Comments welcome. This uses bash. Just copy and pase into any file. Make o+x and run. Feel free to edit and change all u like. Thanks. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Blooper
0 Replies

2. Programming

how to clear screen in GDB session

hi , Could any one tell me the command for clearing the screen in GDB session (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: useless79
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

the command to save session

I remember there is a command you can type and it records everything you type on after it...anybody can help a bit? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fedora
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print from screen session

Hello everyone, Following command sends word 'test' followed by an enter into a screen session (in our case screen_1). How do I print the result, if that would result ? How do I print the result, even if the program running in the session is locked ? Thank you :) screen -S screen_1 -X... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: akula_1986
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script that prints 2 messages to a screen session

Im trying to make a script that prints 2 messages to a screen session, one after the other. screen -x session44 -X stuff "`printf "Test 1\r"`" This works fine, but adding a second lien with a different message yields no results. Changed Subject: Please Follow Forum Rules Regarding... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kylecn
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

command line tool to disable screen lock and/or screen saver

Hi, I have a simple question : how to disable screen lock and/or sreen saver with command line with RHEL5.4 ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: albator1932
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix scripting and screen session

hi, i am on AIX 5.3. I would like to write scripts that initiate or reattach to a screen session to run some commands either from unix or Universe. Can anyone assist me with a with a wuick primer on this. I can attach or initiate a screen manually and then run the commands but I would like to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dustytina
6 Replies

8. HP-UX

Get blank screen when killing a UNIX session on HP-UX

Hi, I have this Unix script that kills a user session. When I run it, my screen goes blank. How do I prevent the blank screen? Ex: I open 2 Unix sessions. The main PID for my 1st session is 1234. In the second session I issue a "kill -HUP 1234". The first session gets killed but the second... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rm-r
5 Replies

9. Linux

Is it possible to set timeout on Linux screen session

Hello friends, I work on Linux servers via SSH (putty) and run "screen" to preserve my sessions so I can attach/detach them at anytime I wish without losing the connectivity/process disruption which is working perfectly fine. As my team members also have root access to those servers, it is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
7 Replies
dtach(1)						      General Commands Manual							  dtach(1)

NAME
dtach - simple program that emulates the detach feature of screen. SYNOPSIS
dtach -a <socket> <options> dtach -A <socket> <options> <command...> dtach -c <socket> <options> <command...> dtach -n <socket> <options> <command...> DESCRIPTION
dtach is a program that emulates the detach feature of screen. It is designed to be transparent and un-intrusive; it avoids interpreting the input and output between attached terminals and the program under its control. Consequently, it works best with full-screen applica- tions such as emacs. dtach is intended for users who want the detach feature of screen without the other overhead of screen. It is tiny, does not use many libraries, and stays out of the way as much as possible. SESSIONS A session in dtach is a single instance in which a program is running under the control of dtach. The program is disassociated from the original terminal, and is thus protected from your original terminal being disconnected for some reason. Other instances of dtach can attach themselves to a particular session. Input and output is copied between the program running in the dtach session, and the attached terminals. dtach avoids interpreting the communication stream between the program and the attached terminals; it instead relies on the ability of the attached terminals to manage the screen. Sessions are represented by Unix-domain sockets in the filesystem. No other permission checking other than the filesystem access checks is performed. dtach creates a master process that monitors the session socket, the program, and any attached terminals. MODES dtach has several modes of operation. It can create a new session in which a program is executed, or it can attach to an existing session. The first argument specifies which mode dtach should operate in. -a Attach to an existing session. dtach attaches itself to the session specified by <socket>. After the attach is completed, the win- dow size of the current terminal is sent to the master process, and a redraw is also requested. -A Attach to an existing session, or create a new one. dtach first tries to attach to the session specified by <socket> if possible. If the attempt to open the socket fails, dtach tries to create a new session before attaching to it. -c Creates a new session. A new session is created in which the specified program is executed. dtach then tries to attach itself to the newly created session. -n Creates a new session, without attaching to it. A new session is created in which the specified program is executed. dtach does not try to attach to the newly created session, however, and exits instead. OPTIONS dtach has a few options that allow you to modify its behavior. Each attaching process can have separate settings for these options, which allows for some flexibility. -e <char> Sets the detach character to <char>. When the detach character is pressed, dtach detaches itself from the current session and exits. The process running in the session is unaffected by the detach. By default, the detach character is set to ^ (Ctrl-). -E Disables the detach character. dtach does not try to scan input from the terminal for a detach character. The only way to detach from the session is then by sending the attaching process an appropriate signal. -r <method> Sets the redraw method to <method>. The valid methods are none, ctrl_l, or winch. none disables redrawing completely, ctrl_l sends a Ctrl L character to the program if the terminal is in character-at-a-time and no- echo mode, and winch forces a WINCH signal to be sent to the program. When creating a new session, the specified method is used as the default redraw method for the session. If not specified, the ctrl_l method is used. -z Disables processing of the suspend key. Normally, dtach will suspend itself when the suspend key is pressed. With this option, the suspend character is sent to the session instead of being handled by dtach. EXAMPLES
The following example creates a new session that has the detach character and suspend processing disabled. A socket is created in the /tmp directory for the session. $ dtach -c /tmp/foozle -Ez bash The following example attaches to the /tmp/foozle session if it exists, and if not, creates a new session using /tmp/foozle as the socket for the session. Processing of the suspend character is also disabled for the attach instance. $ dtach -A /tmp/foozle -z bash The following example attaches to the /tmp/foozle session, using the winch redraw method to redraw the screen. $ dtach -a /tmp/foozle -r winch The following example creates a new session and sets the default redraw method for the session to the winch redraw method. $ dtach -c /tmp/foozle -r winch bash AUTHOR
Ned T. Crigler <crigler@users.sourceforge.net>. SEE ALSO
screen(1) dtach 0.8 Jan 2008 dtach(1)