Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers find common lines using just one column to compare and result with all columns Post 302303297 by jim mcnamara on Thursday 2nd of April 2009 10:14:52 AM
Old 04-02-2009
What does 'just the column 1' mean? If column 1 is a small number your intersection will be large.

This is a start, using only column 1 to compare, giving a union:
Code:
awk ' FILENAME=="file1" { one[$1]=one[$1] $0}
        FILENAME=="file2" { two[$1]=two[$1] $0}
        END { for (i in one) { if (i in two) {print one[i], two[i]} }  }

If this is really what you want we can go on to creating "unique" output - an intersection.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

To find all common lines from 'n' no. of files

Hi, I have one situation. I have some 6-7 no. of files in one directory & I have to extract all the lines which exist in all these files. means I need to extract all common lines from all these files & put them in a separate file. Please help. I know it could be done with the help of... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: The Observer
11 Replies

2. Ubuntu

How to compare two columns and fetch the common data with additional column

Dear All, I am new to this forum and please ignore my little knowledge :p I have two types of data (a subset is given below) data version 1: 439798 2 1 451209 1 2 508696 2 1 555760 2 1 582757 1 2 582889 1 2 691827... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: evoll
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare a common field in two files and append a column from File 1 in File2

Hi Friends, I am new to Shell Scripting and need your help in the below situation. - I have two files (File 1 and File 2) and the contents of the files are mentioned below. - "Application handle" is the common field in both the files. (NOTE :- PLEASE REFER TO THE ATTACHMENT "Compare files... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Santoshbn
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two sample files and find common

Hi I have two sample files attached here one file contain entries in one column and second file contains entries in many columns I have to match entries of first file with entries in secon d file form secon column onwards and if matches write "match" in front of it. I tried several... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: manigrover
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Seperated by columns, merge in a file, sort them on common column

Hi All, I have 4 files in below format. I took them as an example. File 1: Cut from position 1-4 then 6-7 then 8-14 then rest left and make them as columns in one new file. Inserting character H to the initial of all line like HCTOT. CTOT 456787897 Low fever CTOR 556712345 High fever... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mannu2525
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two columns and replacing it with value from third column!!

Hi, I am new to Unix and I am finding it hard to fix a particular logic. The context is as below. File 1 : This contains of 5 fields : Type | Bank Code | Account | Name | Date/Time 60|ABC123|TX123456|XXXX|YYYYMMDDHH:MM:SS 72|ABC123|MYD34561|XXXX|YYYYMMDDHH:MM:SS... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DJose
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 columns from the same file and print a value depending on the result

Hello Unix gurus, I have a file with this format (example values): label1 1 0 label2 1 0 label3 0.4 0.6 label4 0.5 0.5 label5 0.1 0.9 label6 0.9 0.1 in which: column 1 is a row label column 2 and 3 are values I would like to do a simple operation on this table and get the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksennin
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Paste columns based on common column: multiple files

Hi all, I've multiple files. In this case 5. Space separated columns. Each file has 12 columns. Each file has 300-400K lines. I want to get the output such that if a value in column 2 is present in all the files then get all the columns of that value and print it side by side. Desired output... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: genome
15 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Sort by record column, Compare with conditons and export the result

Hello, I am new to Unix and would like to seek a help, please. I have 2 files (file_1 and file_2), I need to perform the following actions. 1 ) Sort the both file by the column 26-36 (which is Invoice number) what is sort command with the column sort? 2) Compare the file_1.sorted and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Usagi
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Join columns across multiple lines in a Text based on common column using BASH

Hello, I have a file with 2 columns ( tableName , ColumnName) delimited by a Pipe like below . File is sorted by ColumnName. Table1|Column1 Table2|Column1 Table5|Column1 Table3|Column2 Table2|Column2 Table4|Column3 Table2|Column3 Table2|Column4 Table5|Column4 Table2|Column5 From... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nv186000
6 Replies
PDOSTATEMENT.FETCHCOLUMN(3)						 1					       PDOSTATEMENT.FETCHCOLUMN(3)

PDOStatement::fetchColumn - Returns a single column from the next row of a result set

SYNOPSIS
public mixed PDOStatement::fetchColumn ([int $column_number]) DESCRIPTION
Returns a single column from the next row of a result set or FALSE if there are no more rows. Note PDOStatement.fetchColumn(3) should not be used to retrieve boolean columns, as it is impossible to distinguish a value of FALSE from there being no more rows to retrieve. Use PDOStatement.fetch(3) instead. PARAMETERS
o $column_number - 0-indexed number of the column you wish to retrieve from the row. If no value is supplied, PDOStatement.fetchColumn(3) fetches the first column. RETURN VALUES
PDOStatement.fetchColumn(3) returns a single column in the next row of a result set. Warning There is no way to return another column from the same row if you use PDOStatement.fetchColumn(3) to retrieve data. EXAMPLES
Example #1 Return first column of the next row <?php $sth = $dbh->prepare("SELECT name, colour FROM fruit"); $sth->execute(); print("Fetch the first column from the first row in the result set: "); $result = $sth->fetchColumn(); print("name = $result "); print("Fetch the second column from the second row in the result set: "); $result = $sth->fetchColumn(1); print("colour = $result "); ?> The above example will output: Fetch the first column from the first row in the result set: name = lemon Fetch the second column from the second row in the result set: colour = red SEE ALSO
PDO.query(3), PDOStatement.fetch(3), PDOStatement.fetchAll(3), PDO.prepare(3), PDOStatement.setFetchMode(3). PHP Documentation Group PDOSTATEMENT.FETCHCOLUMN(3)