Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers I can send but cannot receive mail with unix? Post 302303261 by bjorn on Thursday 2nd of April 2009 08:50:10 AM
Old 04-02-2009
I can send but cannot receive mail with unix?

Hi all,

First post!
I have just discovered that I can use unix to send mail to a mail address. I normally use entourage for my mail.
This unix mail is very intriguing to me, but something is not working... I tried the search, but could not find the answer...

This works:
(in terminal)
mail myname@mycompany.be
subject: test
test
ctrl-d

That arrive fine in entourage, but the sender is myname@somethingstrange-computer.local

This does not work:
(in entourage)
send mail to myname@somethingstrange-computer.local

This works:
(in terminal)
mail myname@somethingstrange-computer.local
subject: test
test
ctrl-d

That arrives fine in terminal.

Is there any possibility to send mail from any mail address to the unix mail? How can I determine the correct mail address for the unix mail? All myname@mycompany.be go to entourage and myname@somethingstrange-computer.local doesn't seem to work...

Or am I missing something?

All help is appreciated.

bjorn

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

can not send mail from unix server to company/yahoo mail

hi, Gurus, I need some help with sending mail out from my UNIX server: It is running Solaris 2.6 and the sendmail version is 8.8. Output of :/usr/lib/sendmail -d0.1 -bt < /dev/null Version 8.8.8+Sun Compiled with: LOG MATCHGECOS MIME7TO8 MIME8TO7 NAMED_BIND NDBM NETINET ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: b5fnpct
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to send mail in unix

Dear friends, I want to send mail automatically like (crontab). I have tried with mail command but it it not working. mail -s "hello" xyz@yahoo.com. please help. (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajan_ka1
12 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I am not able to send mail form unix to other mail accounts.

Using Mailx command i.e mailx -s "subject" chinni@hotmail.com < \tmp\chin this command executed sucessfully but not able to receive the mail in chinni@hotmail.com please help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chinnigd
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Receive e-mail on unix box

Hi, I am not sure if it is a good question or not. Is there a unix utility which can be configured with exchange server and then receive e-mails? Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DejaVu
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to send mail in Unix

Hi, I am able to generate the log file from my shell file. How can i send the content of the log file through mail to some one. Raja (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: konankir
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

I could not receive the mail sent from the unix server using 'mailx'

Hi All, I have sent a mail to my gmail id using the below command. echo " " | mailx -s "sub" myid@gmail.com I didn't get any error notification. But still I didn't receive that mail still.. please help me to learn how to send mail to other provider (Yahoo/gmail) from unix server.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: little_wonder
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX Script to query Active Directory: give cn (NT login name) and receive mail (Email address)

Hi folks I need to write UNIX script (with ldapsearch) to query Active Directory. Input is NT login name and output is Email address. Attached a screenshot of Sysinternals "AD Explorer". I need to do the same in CLI. http://i.imgur.com/4s6FB.png I am absolute LDAP/ldapsearch noob. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: slashdotweenie
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

send mail through Unix

Hi Can any one please help me how to send mail through unix. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: parthmittal2007
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

send mail through unix

Hi i am automating my task and i got an issue. what i want to do is when certain condition is met the email should be sent to the user. and the user should presume that the email has comes from like support@xyz.com The scenario is like send email as different user (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: parthmittal2007
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How can I send a mail from my outlook or other mail accounts to UNIX server?

Hi all, I want to send a mail for my business needs from outlook account to an unix server (HP-UX) but I don't send any mail. While I can send from the unix server to my outlook account, I can't send from outlook to unix. How can I achieve this ? How can I send a mail from my outlook or other... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: igelegin
2 Replies
pygm2n(1)						    Python Gateway mail to news 						 pygm2n(1)

NAME
pygm2n - Python Gateway mail to news SYNOPSIS
pygm2n -n newsgroups [ -s newsserver ] [ -h ] DESCRIPTION
IMPORTANT: this man page is to be continued. The Whole pyg gateway is in devel. state. try -h option for more detailed option. pygm2n reads from stdin an email, sending it to newsgroups, a comma separated list without spaces of newsgroup names (at least one), rfc799 compliant. If pygm2n reads from stdin a sigle line starting with /, it is considered an absolute path to a single-email mailbox, so pygm2n will open and read it. Note that now pyg can't read a real mailbox, with many emails. If you give it in input, pyg will post the whole mailbox as a single email. EXAMPLES
There is some documetation in /urs/share/doc/pyg I created mailgate user (moderator of local.moderated ng). Subscribe to a list with this user (or simply email one message to). Every email posted to this user will send to newsgroups, in its .procmailrc I've put something like: :0 bh * ^From *mailinglist-request@lists.debian.org | $HOME/pygm2n -n local.debian.mailinglist AUTHORS
Cosimo Alfarano <alfarano@students.cs.unibo.it> BUGS
Boh. send any bug, advice or opinion to the author, please. Sun Sep 12 18:10:00 CEST 2000 pygm2n(1)