Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: String format in KSH script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting String format in KSH script Post 302303112 by siquadri on Thursday 2nd of April 2009 12:10:45 AM
Old 04-02-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvella
Hello,

I am attempting to format the output of my unix ksh script. Currently looks like ...
FTP TO HR : Down
FTP FROM HR 4011a : Up
FTP FROM HR 4019a : Down
FTP FROM HR : Down

Would like the status to be aligned as follows:
FTP TO HR : Down
FTP FROM HR 4011a : Up
FTP FROM HR 4019a : Down
FTP FROM HR : Down

Current code is below, am stripping out the non-english part of the result:

print "\t${item} : \t\t${result}" | sed 's/ew//1' | sed 's/_SMFtoRAW//1' | sed 's/_RAWtoSMF//1' | sed 's/_/ /g'

Any sugestions would be greatly appreciated!!
Thank-you.

Try this

printf "\%-15${item} : \%20s${result}" | sed 's/ew//1' | sed 's/_SMFtoRAW//1' | sed 's/_RAWtoSMF//1' | sed 's/_/ /g'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to format number/string in ksh

Hi, How to format a number in ksh. For example x=RANDOM $$ I want x to be of 20 digits long, so if x = 12345 I want it to be left paded with 15 zeros. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GNMIKE
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in ksh script ( String comparison )

hi , i am trying to compre two strings if ] or if ] when the length of var1 is small (around 300-400 char ) it works fine but when it is large (around 900-1000 chars) it fails is there any limitations for this type of comparison ??? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amarnath
3 Replies

3. AIX

Problem in ksh script ( String comparison )

hi , i am trying to compre two strings if ] or if ] when the length of var1 is small (around 300-400 char ) it works fine but when it is large (around 900-1000 chars) it fails is there any limitations for this type of comparison ??? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amarnath
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

format decimal in ksh

hi all, in ksh, how do i format a decimal number (e.g 3381.19) to integer (e.g 3381). This number is average time response for server in millisec and i wanted to display it in a more readable format i.e in seconds without any decimals. thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cesarNZ
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read format problem in ksh script

I have ksh script reading file like while read -r line do echo $line sleep 1 #process_file $line done<$file_nm I want to write this line to another file after some manuplation.Put $line giving me line after changing line format(space removed).Please help me how can i read line by... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mandeep
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH - need to write a script to abbreviate a string

Dear Members, I have to write a UNIX script (KSH) to create a 6 letter abbreviation from a given string. The string will have alphabets and underscores only. e.g. abc_pst_xyz is our string and I have to create an abbreviation which will look like 'abpsxy' or 'abcpyz' etc. Now comes the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yoodit
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to format String in ksh

Hi, I have 3 columns to display to target file and the display of the columns with specified position in target file. I have tried with printf command The Columns position like: Column1= 0 to 30 Column2=30 to 60 Column3=60 to 90 The source data: EMPNO,ENAME,SAL 1,11,100 2,22,200... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: koti_rama
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

String manipulation using ksh script

Hi, I need to convert string "(joe.smith" into "joe_smith" i.e. I need to remove the leading opening brace '(' and replace the dot '.' with an under score '_' can anyone suggest a one liner ksh script or unix command for this please (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdj
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script (ksh) - SQLPlus query filter using a string variable

Using ksh, I am using SQLPlus to execute a query with a filter using a string variable. REPO_DB=DEV1 FOLDER_NM='U_nmalencia' FOLDER_CHECK=$(sqlplus -s /nolog <<EOF CONNECT user/pswd_select@${REPO_DB} set echo off heading off feedback off select subj_name from subject where... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nkm0brm
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to filter string between specific string in ksh

My argument has data as below. 10.9.9.85 -rwxr-xr-x user1 2019-10-15 17:40 /app/scripts/testingscr5.scr 127869538 -rwxr-xr-x user1 2019-10-15 17:40 /app/scripts/testingscr56scr 127869538 ....... (note all these between lines will start with hyphen '-' ) -rwxr-xr-x user1 2019-10-15 17:40... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
3 Replies
Authen::Simple::FTP(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				  Authen::Simple::FTP(3pm)

NAME
Authen::Simple::FTP - Simple FTP authentication SYNOPSIS
use Authen::Simple::FTP; my $ftp = Authen::Simple::FTP->new( host => 'ftp.company.com' ); if ( $ftp->authenticate( $username, $password ) ) { # successfull authentication } # or as a mod_perl Authen handler PerlModule Authen::Simple::Apache PerlModule Authen::Simple::FTP PerlSetVar AuthenSimpleFTP_host "ftp.company.com" <Location /protected> PerlAuthenHandler Authen::Simple::FTP AuthType Basic AuthName "Protected Area" Require valid-user </Location> DESCRIPTION
Authenticate against a FTP service. METHODS
* new This method takes a hash of parameters. The following options are valid: * host Connection host, can be a hostname or IP number. Defaults to "localhost". host => 'ftp.company.com' host => '10.0.0.1' * port Connection port, default to 21. port => 21 * timeout Connection timeout, defaults to 60. timeout => 60 * log Any object that supports "debug", "info", "error" and "warn". log => Log::Log4perl->get_logger('Authen::Simple::FTP') * authenticate( $username, $password ) Returns true on success and false on failure. SEE ALSO
Authen::Simple. Net::FTP. AUTHOR
Christian Hansen "ch@ngmedia.com" COPYRIGHT
This program is free software, you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.8.8 2008-03-01 Authen::Simple::FTP(3pm)