Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Information about Unix System Administration Post 302303039 by pludi on Wednesday 1st of April 2009 05:03:07 PM
Old 04-01-2009
How many night shifts you're going to have depends IMO on your own ability and your company. Example: at our company we don't do any real night shifts, but only on-call (always three people), since we don't have a single point of failure. If an application has to be updated, only one of three servers for that job is (planned) down at the same time, so upgrades can be done during business hours.

As for the ability part: if you're really really good you can set up your systems in a way that they can handle anything but the most severe cases by themselves, even if it just means limping until normal office hours.

But in the end the decision is pretty simple: the deviation of your work hours from the usual is directly proportional to the deviation of complexity of your problems from the usual (read: the more complex the problems the higher the probability that they happen when you're not in the office)

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System Administration

I have been working with UNIX (HP-UX) now for a couple of years. Have become quite capable in shell scripting and general UNIX use. The local university offers a certification course in UNIX administration which I am considering taking. However, the certification is geared toward UNIX in general... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: google
13 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need information about System V & Berkley Syntax for Unix

Hi, Can somebody give me some information on System V & Berkley's Unix formats. Any link will be helpful. thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
6 Replies

3. Solaris

System Administration Certification

I'm planning to take System Administration certification in SUN Solaris. Can some one suggest me if there are any links are URLs to find sample question papers. Pharos (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pharos467
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alternative Scripting Language for UNIX/Linux System Administration

I do not know UNIX shell scripting so as an alternative which language would you think is better for daily System Administration tasks. Perl or PHP? I know a little about both. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: blackopus
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How does unix system administration, unix programming, unix network programming differ?

How does unix system administration, unix programming, unix network programming differ? Please help. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thulasidharan2k
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What are the career options in unix apart from unix system administration?

What are the career options in unix apart from unix system administration? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thulasidharan2k
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Various System Administration Questions

Sorry I'm kind of desperate here :wall:, there's a security audit coming next week :( and I can't seem to find solutions for the questions below :confused:. 1) I need to limit usage on account during non-working hours. There's no /etc/security/time.conf file in my system should I create it? ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ShouTenraku
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Learning project ideas - shell, python, UNIX tools, system administration

Hi guys, I am currently working as a system administration engineer, administering telecom applications on linux/unix platforms. I want to learn new things and improve the ones that i have and for this i though to really work on some project or something but i lack of ideas. I want to be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: capitanui
2 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

How to start in System Administration?

Hi all, I wonder if you guys could give me some advice on this. I have messed around with Linux for the last few years, and I'm at the point where I would like to become a system administrator - as a career. I already have a bachelor's degree, but it is in the humanities (art history) so... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ScottLew
2 Replies
Date::Manip::Lang(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				      Date::Manip::Lang(3)

NAME
Date::Manip::Lang - date manipulation routines (language initialization) DESCRIPTION
This module is a series of routines, one per language, used to initialize the support for different languages in Date::Manip ADDING A LANGUAGE
Adding a language is easily done. If you want to add a language, refer to the list of words and phrases given below. Translate them into the desired language and email them to me. Note that Date::Manip does support international character sets, so if there are non-ASCII characters in the words, it's not a problem. Be sure to include an ASCII representation as well that can be used in cases where non-ASCII characters might cause problems. In many cases, alternate spellings are allowed, and there may be multiple words or phrases which fit, so please include all of them (with ASCII representations for any that include non-ASCII characters). Please translate ALL of the following. In some cases, a phrase is given in parentheses. It is not necessary to translate the phrase. They're there to show the word in the correct context. month names (January February ...) abbreviations (Jan Feb ...) day name (Monday Tuesday ... Sunday) abbreviation (Mon Tue ... Sun) short abbrev. (M T ... S) number suffix (1st 2nd ... 31st) spelled out (first second ... thirty-first now today tomorrow yesterday last (last day of the month) each (each Tuesday of the month) of (first day of the week) at (at 3:00) on (on Tuesday) next (next Tuesday) last (last Tuesday) exactly (in exactly 3 hours) approximately (in approximately 3 hours) business (in 4 business days) Some times of the day are named. At the very least, there is probably noon and midnight. Provide all named times, and the time of day. noon 12:00:00 midnight 00:00:00 The delta field names can be written or abbreviated in many differet ways. Provide all names and abbreviations for the seven fields. For example: years/year/yrs/yr/y months/month/mon weeks/week/wk/wks/w days/day/d hours/hour/hr/hrs minutes/minute/min/mn seconds/second/sec/s What words/phrases can be used to say that a time is in the future? E.g. IN 3 hours 3 hours LATER 3 hours IN THE FUTURE In the past? 3 hours AGO 3 hours PAST Does the language have an equivalent of the English AM/PM? If so, what are all possible values of each? Other than a comma or period, are there any common integer/decimal separators? For example: 1.25 can be expressed as 1.25 or 1,25 commonly. Are there any other ways? When expressing time the hours/minutes and minutes/seconds are typically separated by colons. Are there any other separators? If so, what combinations of the separators are used in real life? For example: 05h30:00. NOTE: there must be the same number of sephm and sepms values and the first sephm corresponds to the first sepms, etc. AUTHOR
Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org) You can always get the newest beta version of Date::Manip (which may fix problems in the current CPAN version... and may add others) from my home page: http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~sbeck/ perl v5.12.1 2010-01-12 Date::Manip::Lang(3)