Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Information about Unix System Administration Post 302303031 by pludi on Wednesday 1st of April 2009 04:35:36 PM
Old 04-01-2009
You CAN have steady hours as an Unix Sysadmin:
  1. While you're still being trained on the job (no one expects you to fix anything since you're not fully trained)
  2. As soon as your PFY/apprentice is trained well enough to handle 95% of your job
The next best thing that I can think of would be Operating, eg. doing the day-to-day maintenance chores.

And I have to agree with wempy: we're pretty much underestimated and sometimes even seen as targets for "smartsizing", up until the point where Murphy strikes. But getting a system back up from the (almost) dead is a great feeling.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System Administration

I have been working with UNIX (HP-UX) now for a couple of years. Have become quite capable in shell scripting and general UNIX use. The local university offers a certification course in UNIX administration which I am considering taking. However, the certification is geared toward UNIX in general... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: google
13 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need information about System V & Berkley Syntax for Unix

Hi, Can somebody give me some information on System V & Berkley's Unix formats. Any link will be helpful. thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
6 Replies

3. Solaris

System Administration Certification

I'm planning to take System Administration certification in SUN Solaris. Can some one suggest me if there are any links are URLs to find sample question papers. Pharos (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pharos467
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alternative Scripting Language for UNIX/Linux System Administration

I do not know UNIX shell scripting so as an alternative which language would you think is better for daily System Administration tasks. Perl or PHP? I know a little about both. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: blackopus
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How does unix system administration, unix programming, unix network programming differ?

How does unix system administration, unix programming, unix network programming differ? Please help. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thulasidharan2k
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What are the career options in unix apart from unix system administration?

What are the career options in unix apart from unix system administration? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thulasidharan2k
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Various System Administration Questions

Sorry I'm kind of desperate here :wall:, there's a security audit coming next week :( and I can't seem to find solutions for the questions below :confused:. 1) I need to limit usage on account during non-working hours. There's no /etc/security/time.conf file in my system should I create it? ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ShouTenraku
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Learning project ideas - shell, python, UNIX tools, system administration

Hi guys, I am currently working as a system administration engineer, administering telecom applications on linux/unix platforms. I want to learn new things and improve the ones that i have and for this i though to really work on some project or something but i lack of ideas. I want to be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: capitanui
2 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

How to start in System Administration?

Hi all, I wonder if you guys could give me some advice on this. I have messed around with Linux for the last few years, and I'm at the point where I would like to become a system administrator - as a career. I already have a bachelor's degree, but it is in the humanities (art history) so... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ScottLew
2 Replies
ypstart(1M)						  System Administration Commands					       ypstart(1M)

NAME
ypstart, ypstop - Start and stop NIS services SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/netsvc/yp/ypstart /usr/lib/netsvc/yp/ypstop DESCRIPTION
The ypstart command is used to start the Network Information Service (NIS). After the host has been configured using the ypinit(1M) com- mand, ypstart automatically determines the NIS status of the machine and starts the appropriate daemons. The ypstop command is used to stop the Network Information Service (NIS). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWypu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ypinit(1M), attributes(5) System Administration Guide: Basic Administration NOTES
The Network Information Service (NIS) was formerly known as Sun Yellow Pages (YP). The functionality of the two services remains the same; only the name has changed. The name Yellow Pages is a registered trademark in the United Kingdom of British Telecommunications PLC, and must not be used without permission. SunOS 5.10 24 Oct 1996 ypstart(1M)