Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX How to show hostname infor after login Post 302303010 by marcus121 on Wednesday 1st of April 2009 03:53:40 PM
Old 04-01-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by wempy
Are you using csh? ksh and bash both seem to "see" the changes to PS1 immediately. (i.e. without having to export them). What shell are you using?
ksh.
This works fine on the command line:
Code:
$ D='$PWD'
$ PS1="$(hostname -s):$D> "
strawboss:/home/mlibby> cd /msa1/profiles/mlibby/ksh
strawboss:/msa1/profiles/mlibby/ksh>

The problem I'm having is when I'm trying to see the control characters work. According to an earlier post, I should be able to use "\h" for short host name--in lieu of $(hostname -s); I should be able to use "\w" for working directory--in lieu of D='$PWD' and $D.

I know how to get the prompt I want. The control character (back-slash construct) was new information to me, and I was trying to get that to work. That is what I'm having difficulty with. According to the earlier post in this thread (if I read it right), I should be able to type this to get the same results as above:
Code:
$ PS1="\h:\w> "
h:w>

... but as you see, instead I get the prompt "h:w>"
~Marcus

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris - unknown hostname - how can I change hostname?

Hello, I am new to Solaris. I am using stand alone Solaris 10.0 for test/study purpose and connecting to internet via an ADSL modem which has DHCP server. My Solaris is working on VMWare within winXP. My WinXP and Solaris connects to internet by the same ADSL modem via its DHCP at the same... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: XNOR
1 Replies

2. AIX

How to disable user login infor?

If user login and don't do anything in 15 mins, the user is kicked off from the server. how to disable it? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rainbow_bean
5 Replies

3. Web Development

APACHE: Tie in Web Page login with server login

Hello, I have created a web page on a server using apache and added .htaccess and .htpasswd in the folder for authentification. I was wondering if there was anyway to tie-in the login for this page with the login used to logon to the server. i.e. the same login info. is used for both,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: WhotheWhat
2 Replies

4. Cybersecurity

APACHE: Tie in Web Page login with server login

Hello, I have created a web page on a server using apache and added .htaccess and .htpasswd in the folder for authentification. I was wondering if there was anyway to tie-in the login for this page with the login used to logon to the server. i.e. the same login info. is used for both, when... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: WhotheWhat
1 Replies

5. Solaris

How grep only the capacity infor from df -k using sun solaris

Hello experts, when i get an output for df -k; i get the below output Filesystem kbytes used avail capacity Mounted on /dev/vd/vdisk3 8241689 1973089 6186184 25% / /proc 0 0 0 0% /proc mnttab 0 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: streddy
3 Replies

6. Solaris

error message rmclomv ... SC Login Failure for user Please login:

Hello World ~ HW : SUN Fire V240 OS : Solaris 8 Error message prompts 'rmclomv ... SC login failure ...' on terminal. and Error Message prompts continually 'SC Login Failure for user Please login:' on Single Mode(init S) The System is in normal operation, though In case of rain, Can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lifegeek
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Show the login of users connected with awk

Hello everyone, I was trying to get the all logins of the users connected with awk, using "w" command, I probe with this: w|awk 'NR>2 {print $1}' But I'm not sure... is it ok? Thank You so much! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: adiegorpc
2 Replies

8. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

HP UX - ILO Console hostname different than Machine Hostname...

Hi All, So we added a new HP-UX 11.31 machine. Copied OS via Ignite-UX (DVD)over from this machine called machine_a. It was supposed to be named machine_c. And it is when you log in...however when I'm in the ILO console before logging in, it says: It should say: What gives? And how do... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zixzix01
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Hostname -f hostname: Unknown host

deleted (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hce
0 Replies

10. Red Hat

Cannot show graphical login display

Hi all, I'm running Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 6.3 Santiago. I already installed the X Window package during installation and the graphical login display can be shown normally after installation. Yesterday, I accessed remotely by GUI mode using VNC viewer and somehow it got crashed.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sergionicosta
1 Replies
echo(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						  echo(1B)

NAME
echo - echo arguments to standard output SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/echo [-n] [argument] DESCRIPTION
echo writes its arguments, separated by BLANKs and terminated by a NEWLINE, to the standard output. echo is useful for producing diagnostics in command files and for sending known data into a pipe, and for displaying the contents of envi- ronment variables. For example, you can use echo to determine how many subdirectories below the root directory (/) is your current directory, as follows: o echo your current-working-directory's full pathname o pipe the output through tr to translate the path's embedded slash-characters into space-characters o pipe that output through wc -w for a count of the names in your path. example% /usr/bin/echo "echo $PWD | tr '/' ' ' | wc -w" See tr(1) and wc(1) for their functionality. The shells csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1), each have an echo built-in command, which, by default, will have precedence, and will be invoked if the user calls echo without a full pathname. /usr/ucb/echo and csh's echo() have an -n option, but do not understand back-slashed escape characters. sh's echo(), ksh's echo(), and /usr/bin/echo, on the other hand, understand the black-slashed escape characters, and ksh's echo() also understands a as the audible bell character; however, these commands do not have an -n option. OPTIONS
-n Do not add the NEWLINE to the output. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), echo(1), ksh(1), sh(1), tr(1), wc(1), attributes(5) NOTES
The -n option is a transition aid for BSD applications, and may not be supported in future releases. SunOS 5.10 3 Aug 1994 echo(1B)