Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to copy my system hdd usb stick from 4GB to 8GB ? Post 302302879 by jack2 on Wednesday 1st of April 2009 08:55:55 AM
Old 04-01-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by pludi
Just to get the background right: why would an embedded device need additional software? And user-interactive on top of that? Those devices are usually intended for the cycle of "power on -> setup -> ignore -> scrap", with at little user interaction as possible. If you want a "full" Linux on there, take a look at DD-WRT and it's cousins.

Anyhow, given what you told me, there's nothing essential to the boot process on that stick, so it's a simple partiton, format, cp -a.

As for the flash memory, I remembered wrong by an order of magnitude, it's 100 000 write cycles (linky). I just wanted to warn you since a friend of mine thought it a great idea to keep his swap partition on a flash drive. It didn't even survive first boot.
My dear friend,

I exactly have "full" Linux, cousin of DD-WRT installed.
So stick is made of 3 partitions, already mentioned by me.
For swap partition there is no need to copy anything, just create swap partition and set swap on.

For /opt partition (system files, applications, full Linux) I need to
mirror or clone it on another stick.
Please tell me if copy can preserve symbolic links, already created on
part2, part3 (for data) ?

I run 2 router-servers with full Linux and swap partition is on a stick
and one has been in operation for the last 4 months as 10-man small network router/server and another one is for tests.
I have one another spare router, exactly to replace that one serving small network, in case of problems.

So I need to have it maintained as a mirror copy.
I can transfer firmware, configuration file from router's internal flash nvram memory, as they come as open source Linux.
The issue is usb stick
partitioned to 1, 2, 3

I will try with copy today and will report you my success or failure.

Ok. I was told about problems with a swap partition on usb stick
but this solution was advised to me by project developers and it worked for me.

Asus Eee netbooks come with Linux and SSD memory only,
and I would like to know in what SSD memory so special for swap partition,
as come sticks come already marketed as SSD stick.

In either case I need to learn how to mirror such stick, partitioned to part1, part2, part3.

thanks

Jack

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SCO

Copy files to a USB stick SCO 5.07?

SCO 5.07: How do I copy files to a USB memory stick? The stick is formatted as a hd and has an active Unix partition using the hole stick for Unix. How do I get acces to the stick? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pschnell
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Aix usb stick

I have a P-Series Machine running AIX 5.3, it has a USB Port on the front of the server, can I use a USB Stick on AIX platforms?? if so how..:rolleyes: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BEVAN
2 Replies

3. SCO

How do I copy files into USB memory stick

SCO Unix ver 5.07 How do I copy files onto an USB memory stick? Is SCO Unix ver 5.07 able to handle USB memory devices? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Schnell
2 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Mount USB stick...

Dummies questions, perfect for this. I cannot mount my idiotic usb stick on Slackware, I input the following on non-graphic mode as root: Mount -t vfat /dev/sdc1/usbstick usbstick is the folder i created for mounting my USB, the file system is FAT, and everytime I input that I get some kind... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dax01
2 Replies

5. BSD

Mounting a USB stick in FreeBSD

When mounting a USB stick or pen drive on a FreeBSD machine I always issue the following command: mount -t msdosfs /dev/da0s1 /mnt Something I have always wondered is what the option msdosfs stands for and more importantly, why it is necessary. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
7 Replies

6. Ubuntu

Ubuntu on USB stick?

Hey Guys I have an Ubuntu CD and I was thinking of creating like a bootable hard drive with various OS so that I can just boot OSs with t drive and not require the CDs. I was just wondering is there a way I can do this, like have Ubuntu boot from a USB stick? If yes how is that possible(even if I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbansal2
3 Replies

7. SCO

Mount USB stick

hi Howto mount an USB stick under SCO 5.0.7? BTW ist it possible to mount USB stick in the command line using 'tools' at the Boot: prompt from OpenServer Release 5.0.7 installation CD? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ccc
1 Replies

8. SCO

How to use USB Stick in UNIXware?

I am trying to use a USB (Pen?) drive on Unixware 7.1.4. The USB stick is in the machine and the machine recognises it when I enter usbprobe as follows: Path - Address Description ----------------------------- +++++++ BUS #2 0 - 1 - HUB "UHCI Root Hub" 1 - 2 - HID "Chicony Wireless Device"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BernP
1 Replies
MKSWAP(8)                                                      System Administration                                                     MKSWAP(8)

NAME
mkswap - set up a Linux swap area SYNOPSIS
mkswap [options] device [size] DESCRIPTION
mkswap sets up a Linux swap area on a device or in a file. The device argument will usually be a disk partition (something like /dev/sdb7) but can also be a file. The Linux kernel does not look at partition IDs, but many installation scripts will assume that partitions of hex type 82 (LINUX_SWAP) are meant to be swap partitions. (Warning: Solaris also uses this type. Be careful not to kill your Solaris partitions.) The size parameter is superfluous but retained for backwards compatibility. (It specifies the desired size of the swap area in 1024-byte blocks. mkswap will use the entire partition or file if it is omitted. Specifying it is unwise - a typo may destroy your disk.) After creating the swap area, you need the swapon command to start using it. Usually swap areas are listed in /etc/fstab so that they can be taken into use at boot time by a swapon -a command in some boot script. WARNING
The swap header does not touch the first block. A boot loader or disk label can be there, but it is not a recommended setup. The recom- mended setup is to use a separate partition for a Linux swap area. mkswap, like many others mkfs-like utils, erases the first partition block to make any previous filesystem invisible. However, mkswap refuses to erase the first block on a device with a disk label (SUN, BSD, ...). OPTIONS
-c, --check Check the device (if it is a block device) for bad blocks before creating the swap area. If any bad blocks are found, the count is printed. -f, --force Go ahead even if the command is stupid. This allows the creation of a swap area larger than the file or partition it resides on. Also, without this option, mkswap will refuse to erase the first block on a device with a partition table. -L, --label label Specify a label for the device, to allow swapon by label. -p, --pagesize size Specify the page size (in bytes) to use. This option is usually unnecessary; mkswap reads the size from the kernel. -U, --uuid UUID Specify the UUID to use. The default is to generate a UUID. -v, --swapversion 1 Specify the swap-space version. (This option is currently pointless, as the old -v 0 option has become obsolete and now only -v 1 is supported. The kernel has not supported v0 swap-space format since 2.5.22 (June 2002). The new version v1 is supported since 2.1.117 (August 1998).) -h, --help Display help text and exit. -V, --version Display version information and exit. NOTES
The maximum useful size of a swap area depends on the architecture and the kernel version. The maximum number of the pages that is possible to address by swap area header is 4294967295 (UINT_MAX). The remaining space on the swap device is ignored. Presently, Linux allows 32 swap areas. The areas in use can be seen in the file /proc/swaps mkswap refuses areas smaller than 10 pages. If you don't know the page size that your machine uses, you may be able to look it up with "cat /proc/cpuinfo" (or you may not - the con- tents of this file depend on architecture and kernel version). To set up a swap file, it is necessary to create that file before initializing it with mkswap, e.g. using a command like # fallocate --length 8GiB swapfile Note that a swap file must not contain any holes. Using cp(1) to create the file is not acceptable. Neither is use of fallocate(1) on file systems that support preallocated files, such as XFS or ext4, or on copy-on-write filesystems like btrfs. It is recommended to use dd(1) and /dev/zero in these cases. Please read notes from swapon(8) before adding a swap file to copy-on-write filesystems. ENVIRONMENT
LIBBLKID_DEBUG=all enables libblkid debug output. SEE ALSO
fdisk(8), swapon(8) AVAILABILITY
The mkswap command is part of the util-linux package and is available from https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux March 2009 MKSWAP(8)