Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: $ in sed under tcsh vs bash
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers $ in sed under tcsh vs bash Post 302302721 by uiop44 on Tuesday 31st of March 2009 06:38:09 PM
Old 03-31-2009
EOL ($) simple regexp in tcsh vs bash

I found the answer (I think).

It is in the tcsh man page.

Code:

sed "s/$/blah/g" filename

If you use double quotes (") this won't work. The dollar sign ($) will be interpreted as a variable. You'll get "Illegal variable."

But if you use single quotes...

Code:

sed 's/$/blah/g'

This works.

Now how do you deal with substituting a single quote characater?

Code:

sed 's/$/\'/g' filename
sed "s/$/\'/g" filename

Neither works. (Using FreeBSD, console or xterm.)

I'm reading the tcsh man page now... hoping to find the answer.

Update: I read some writings on the internet. The grymoire site says mixed quoting is a problem. Seems like, based on other stuff I've read, csh/tcsh makes it difficult to use the many UNIX utilities (i.e. script them), but may make it easier to call C functions of the OS, from the command line?

And ksh was an attempt to blend the two uses of the shell: UNIX utilities and UNIX C functions? The later I suspect is a rarer use?

Last edited by uiop44; 04-03-2009 at 09:18 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH -- sed -- variable

Hi, I'm new at bash scripting -- can anyone here help me about the sed command? I need to be able to edit and or delete a text from an outside file ie file.txt -- I'm passing a variable and not a string I was thinking of something like echo -n "What do you want to edit?: " read edit sed... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Imajean
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

using Sed in Solaris bash

I am trying to execute a script with sed that works well in ksh(Linux) however in bash(solaris 8) though it does not give any errors the output file becomes 0 byte. header of the script: ksh:2$ head news.ksh #!/bin/ksh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: acharania2011
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

for / foreach syntax issues (in bash or tcsh)

So I am new to unix, and actually anything outside drag and drop with the mouse (been learning for about a week so far) . I have been using the foreach command in tcsh because I am working on a group of files. Basically what I need is to insert part of the filename as the first line in the file.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thepolypore
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

An alternative to BASH/TCSH?

Greetings! I love the power and control offered by BASH but detest its syntax! Is there some alternative *nix shell language? (other than TCSH) Or maybe a wrapper that affords the use of BASH commands via an easier syntax? I considered creating a complicated system of aliases to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Koalaboration
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash sed problem

Hi, I need to escape slashes in my text, so I use this line: search_string=`echo $var | sed 's@/@\\\/@g'`I expect that to replace a slash with a backslash followed by a slash. That works nicely, but it has a problematic side-effect. If there are two spaces in the var it replaces them with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RickS
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash can't find file but tcsh can why?

I have a short script for compiling an old program. It's a simple text file 'ccprog' created in emacs. The permissions were changed with 'chmod 775 ccprog' to make it an executable. When I try to run ccprog I get "bash: ./ccprog: No such file or directory". If I change to tcsh ccprog runs. Why... (68 Replies)
Discussion started by: muddauber
68 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash and sed compatibility

Hi i am having a stange problem. Basically for my sed script used within bash i can unly use a single Quote with sed '. (if i use " then i get command garbled error with sed ) The problem with this is BASH does not interprit variables within single quote ' so we cannot use any of the BASH... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vash
7 Replies

8. Debian

Using sed with bash variables

Hi Guys I have another problem I'm trying to solve and hope that some one can help me here. This is the scenario: I have a file and I want to add a line on the 3rd line of the file using a bash script. but instead its adding the the bash variable $WEBSITE. Below is the bash script I'm... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxjunkie
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash tcsh Script runs in terminal but not folder

So, I made a script beginning with #!/bin/bash on gedit. And I double clicked it to run in terminal and I end up with "The child process exited normally with status 127" and "command not found". If I run the same script from the terminal as "tcsh (script name)" it runs just fine. If I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: OntorEska
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tcsh script - sed command for special characters

Hi, I am using sed command to replace following line in gz file- sed -n 's/""COS_12_TM_1" ( 1101110101001001010011110100000010110100010010000000100000000010XX010000000 )"/""COS_12_TM_1" ( 110111010100100101001111MM00000010110100010010000000100000000010XX010000000 )"/g' filename.gz $x=... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Preeti Chandra
4 Replies
shells(4)							   File Formats 							 shells(4)

NAME
shells - shell database SYNOPSIS
/etc/shells DESCRIPTION
The shells file contains a list of the shells on the system. Applications use this file to determine whether a shell is valid. See getuser- shell(3C). For each shell a single line should be present, consisting of the shell's path, relative to root. A hash mark (#) indicates the beginning of a comment; subsequent characters up to the end of the line are not interpreted by the routines which search the file. Blank lines are also ignored. The following default shells are used by utilities: /bin/bash, /bin/csh, /bin/jsh, /bin/ksh, /bin/pfcsh, /bin/pfksh, /bin/pfsh, /bin/sh, /bin/tcsh, /bin/zsh, /sbin/jsh, /sbin/sh, /usr/bin/bash, /usr/bin/csh, /usr/bin/jsh, /usr/bin/ksh, /usr/bin/pfcsh, /usr/bin/pfksh, /usr/bin/pfsh, and /usr/bin/sh, /usr/bin/tcsh, /usr/bin/zsh. Note that /etc/shells overrides the default list. Invalid shells in /etc/shells may cause unexpected behavior (such as being unable to log in by way of ftp(1)). FILES
/etc/shells lists shells on system SEE ALSO
vipw(1B), ftpd(1M), sendmail(1M), getusershell(3C), aliases(4) SunOS 5.10 4 Jun 2001 shells(4)