Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming C Beginner Looking For Suggestions Post 302302661 by deckard on Tuesday 31st of March 2009 03:12:00 PM
Old 03-31-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_d
parallel in what sense?
When I've seen him do PHP queries against a MySQL DB, he doesn't just do a single query. He'll usually pull in multiple bits of information even though to me it doesn't seem relevant. But afterwards in his PHP script, the data returned from the queries is used in groups. Kind of hard to explain I guess. It's just that my thinking would be:

Execute a query and pull in one column of data
Process the data
Execute another query for another column
Process that data
etc...
Then take all the data stored in arrays and format it for display

Whereas his thinking seems to be

Execute a query to pull in all needed data from multiple tables
Process in one function and format for display

I guess maybe it just takes having a lot of familiarity with the language and you start to see the quicker way of doing things. His approaches also seem to be able to avoid the spaghetti logic I get myself into sometimes by nature of their compactness.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Suggestions on where to begin?

I have been a student at Hendrix Institute for about a year now. My term is comming to an end by the end of december. I have learned varios computer programs for web development that include Flash 5 and Dreamweaver. Actionscripting, Javascript and Database development with Access was all... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: andrew25008
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Suggestions wanted ...

All, Have an AMD-K6/2 PC, 20G.Hd along with RH7.2. Wanting to know what I should do in terms of setup (workstation/server) and then what I can do with it? I'd like to learn a DBMS and SQL - can I do this using RedHat? Any suggestions with how I can use/ what I can do with this appreciated. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cameron
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Backup suggestions

The current backup procedure we using a tar command in linux. The files are stored in one partition in different folders. The docs stores in day wise folders like ex: /usr/data/xyz/20050129, /usr/data/xyz/20050130 .............etc We using tar & gzip command to take backup everyday. The backup... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bache_gowda
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Looking for Suggestions...

We run WebSphere and by default it wants to install everything under /usr. While I can understand the default (everyone has a /usr) I would like to move this over to a dedicated volume group called apps and then setup my lv's and fs's here. Our WebSphere Admin doesn't like this because apparently... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scottsl
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Suggestions Req

Hi all, I have worked on HP UNIX and now i have moved to SunSolaris which i never used to work. I am more on programming side like shell and perl scripting. So i want to know from you experts that i need to take care or changes which i code in sun solaris in compared to HP unix. Suggestions... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ravi.sadani19
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Suggestions on input

Hi, I have written a script which calls a process which ends up in a reboot of the system. At the end of the reboot it prompts for login & i need to provide the login details. am not able to figure out hw to do this. Doubt: will echoing login details after calling the process work? for ex:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: meera
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need suggestions.......

Hello there....i am a final year comp science student.......i am thinking of doing my project on unix platform......which one do u suggest?thanx in advance... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: theprasad1990
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Suggestions for new T5140

I've been busy and fell behind on Sun/Oracle. Forgive me if too basic. I welcome brief, cryptic, or advanced replies. I also welcome noobie information since I may have no clue what's up at the moment. Problem statement: I inherited a computer to set up. I would rather not figure out 8 months... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Nevyn
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Suggestions for the interview

Hi guys, i'm undergoing a traning in solaris administration and i request if any one have an idea on the interview questions on solaris. thank you. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 038karthik
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Suggestions on this script please

i=1 out="" j=`expr 2 * $1` while do out="$out"#"" echo $out ((i=i+1)) done while do print ${out%?} ((i=i+1)) done This script is throwing an error: gurnish:/home/fnb/gurnish/saurabh/scripts> while1 3 expr: 0402-050 Syntax error. # (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: targetshell
6 Replies
SQLITE_QUERY(3) 														   SQLITE_QUERY(3)

sqlite_query - Executes a query against a given database and returns a result handle

SYNOPSIS
resource sqlite_query (resource $dbhandle, string $query, [int $result_type = SQLITE_BOTH], [string &$error_msg]) DESCRIPTION
resource sqlite_query (string $query, resource $dbhandle, [int $result_type = SQLITE_BOTH], [string &$error_msg]) Object oriented style (method): SQLiteResult SQLiteDatabase::query (string $query, [int $result_type = SQLITE_BOTH], [string &$error_msg]) Executes an SQL statement given by the $query against a given database handle. PARAMETERS
o $dbhandle - The SQLite Database resource; returned from sqlite_open(3) when used procedurally. This parameter is not required when using the object-oriented method. o $query - The query to be executed. Data inside the query should be properly escaped. o $result_type -The optional $result_type parameter accepts a constant and determines how the returned array will be indexed. Using SQLITE_ASSOC will return only associative indices (named fields) while SQLITE_NUM will return only numerical indices (ordinal field numbers). SQLITE_BOTH will return both associative and numerical indices. SQLITE_BOTH is the default for this function. o $error_msg - The specified variable will be filled if an error occurs. This is specially important because SQL syntax errors can't be fetched using the sqlite_last_error(3) function. Note Two alternative syntaxes are supported for compatibility with other database extensions (such as MySQL). The preferred form is the first, where the $dbhandle parameter is the first parameter to the function. RETURN VALUES
This function will return a result handle or FALSE on failure. For queries that return rows, the result handle can then be used with func- tions such as sqlite_fetch_array(3) and sqlite_seek(3). Regardless of the query type, this function will return FALSE if the query failed. sqlite_query(3) returns a buffered, seekable result handle. This is useful for reasonably small queries where you need to be able to ran- domly access the rows. Buffered result handles will allocate memory to hold the entire result and will not return until it has been fetched. If you only need sequential access to the data, it is recommended that you use the much higher performance sqlite_unbuffered_query(3) instead. CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------+ | 5.1.0 | | | | | | | Added the $error_msg parameter | | | | +--------+---------------------------------+ NOTES
Warning SQLite will execute multiple queries separated by semicolons, so you can use it to execute a batch of SQL that you have loaded from a file or have embedded in a script. However, this works only when the result of the function is not used - if it is used, only the first SQL statement would be executed. Function sqlite_exec(3) will always execute multiple SQL statements. When executing multiple queries, the return value of this function will be FALSE if there was an error, but undefined otherwise (it might be TRUE for success or it might return a result handle). SEE ALSO
sqlite_unbuffered_query(3), sqlite_array_query(3). PHP Documentation Group SQLITE_QUERY(3)