Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming what would happen if a process wrote to its own stdin? Post 302302635 by c_d on Tuesday 31st of March 2009 01:36:09 PM
Old 03-31-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshaikh
Interesting!

I obtained file status flags of STDIN_FILENO, and it is open for O_RDWR.

Why then .\a.out < file.txt doesn't write "arghh!" to file.txt?
you cannot execute a file using \ ...it should be./a.out
and
< means you are redirecting the content of file.txt to stdin of a.out

to write "arghh!" to file.txt one would generally do ./a.out >file.txt

but in this case it will not write to file.txt because there is nothing in stdout of a.out process...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what happen when changing Hostname?

I 'm using RH 7.2 Genome in the Network Configuration I change therer are two places one for static hostname for my machine and in DNS hostname I don't know what happen when restarting my PC when connecting using dialer I can't browse the Internet also I can't use sendmail .......Server timeout... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: atiato
2 Replies

2. Programming

Any one can tell me how this happen?

The #1 Online Store for Louis Vuitton Replicas is: http://www.opichina.com.cn. We offer Louis Vuitton Replicas and more! Whatever you call it: LV Bags, LV Replicas, Louis Vuitton Fake, Louis Vuitton Knockoffs, Louis Vuitton Bag, Louis Vuitton Purse, Louis Vuitton Wallet, Louis Vuitton Shoes,... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jiangyanna
10 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What would happen if. . .

Hi, Could someone please tell me what would happen if the following were entered into the command line: rm -i /books/*.* rm /books/* Many thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: crispy
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unix ID deleted - What happen to process

I have an unix id (AIX system) which is used to run a couple of processes. They also write some log files into a file system (that is not in the home directory of the user id, but in different location). One bad day, the id was deleted accidentally. But the home directory, files and everything... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cmgreat
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

whats happen when we create new user

hi frndz I wanna knw exatly what happen when we create new user... which directories are created ?? which files are modified ?? thanx.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: luckypower
2 Replies

6. AIX

How does ITIL processing happen in AIX?

How does ITIL process is implemened in AIX? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: AIXlearner
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What Does Happen During Boot Process? - BIOS and MBR

I'm talking about boot process in multi-boot Linux perceptive. Please tell me whether my explanation is right or wrong? If wrong, please explain. "The BIOS checks the system and loads this initial bootstrapping code into memory. This initial bootstrap code searches for an active partition... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: f.ben.isaac
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Who actually wrote Professional Linux Programming ?

Hello, Who actually wrote Professional Linux Programming of Wrox publication as there are two different sets of writers, one set consists of Jon Masters and Richard Blum and another set of writers is Neil Mathew with lots of other writers. Plz resolve it. I'm really confused. Regards.. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vectrum
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Crontab - wrote Simple Script but i cant work out how to play it at a certain time.

Hi everyone. Silly might be silly be I'm still new to bash. I'm trying to make an Alarm Clock for in the morning using my laptop i have wrote this Simple Script but i cant work out how to play it at a certain time. #!/bin/bash cd /home/josh/Music/Bruno_Mars/Hooligans/ cvlc... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jtsmith90
8 Replies

10. What is on Your Mind?

Ah, the AMIGA, (another poem I wrote in 2005).

Well I wrote this in 2005 and uploaded to AMINET.as a commemoration of a machine that is still in use today. It is now 29 years since this machne came into being. Phenominal and it is still being supported- WOW! My A1200 is on 24/7 and I use it to test code developed on AMIGA emulators... ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
0 Replies
PESCETTI(1)						      General Commands Manual						       PESCETTI(1)

NAME
pescetti -- Pseudo-Duplimate Generator SYNOPSIS
pescetti DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the pescetti command. OPTIONS
Here are a list of the available options and what they do. You must specify exactly one from --demo, --generate or --load. --help Prints the help text --demo Demonstration mode. Generates one hand with permutations and the tutorial for how to use them. --generate=N Generate N random boards --load=boards.txt Load boards+analysis from boards.txt --load-dds=boards.dds Load boards from boards.dds in dds format --load-analysis=tricks.txt Load analysis from tricks.txt --permutations=permutations.txt Generate the permutations and save them to the given file --curtains=curtains.txt Save curtain cards to file curtains.txt --save=boards.txt Save the boards+analysis to boards.txt --save-dds=boards.dds Save the boards to boards.dds in dds format --save-analysis=tricks.txt Save the analysis to tricks.txt --format=html|txt|pdf Set the output mode to the given format --title=title Set the title for the output --output=hands.txt Print the hands to hands.txt, rather than to standard output --stats Generate statistics about the set of boards; included in the hands output --analyze Run the dds analyzer on the boards and print the resulting numberof tricks (warning SLOW) --criteria= A list of criteria to apply to each generated hand to generate specific hand types. The list should be space separated and each item may be suffixed with a colon and a (fractional) probability value which can be used to weight the criteria. E.g. --criteria="weaknt:0.8 strongnt:0.5" Valid criteria are: unbalanced weaknt strongnt twont strongtwo weaktwo three twoclubs 4441 singlesuit twosuits partscore game slam game-invite slam-invite jumpshift jumpfit splinter bacon weird --probability=factor Generate hands matching the criteria with only the given probability. Factor is in the range 0 to 1. On each attempt to generate a board it is rejected if it doesn't match the criteria with the given probability. A factor of about 0.8 gives roughly half matching boards AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Matthew Johnson <debian@matthew.ath.cx>. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this docu- ment under the terms of the GNU General Public License, Version 2 as published by the Free Software Foundation. On Debian systems, the complete text of the GNU General Public License can be found in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL. PESCETTI(1)