Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Sun Workstation Hardware - Is it broken? Post 302302371 by ajdiamond on Monday 30th of March 2009 07:41:39 PM
Old 03-30-2009
Thank you for your reply. I will make a note of this!

However, I do not own the computer so I cant try your advice yet (and dont have access to it).

But in your opinion, if it boots either into single user mode, or the graphical login would this suggest that the hardware is most likely fully functional?

Thanks again.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SUN IPC Workstation Q

I know that there are lots of UNIX pros here so I'm asking for some help. I have recently acquired 2 SUN IPC Workstations. The stations were destined for the garbage so I was unable to talk to the owners. Neither of them will make it through the boot process. One gives an error "le0: No... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shaggy
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hardware dummy trying to set up Unix workstation for Oracle at home for practice!

I have been planning to set up a Unix workstation at home to host an Oracle database just for database admin. practice. But I don't know enough about hardware to know whether this can be done on a regular desktop and the required hardware config. If anyone could kindly guide me in this mission I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmanpakdee
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

MIB OID for my Sun workstation

hi, as far as i know, every sun solaris 8 workstation has a snmp agent running by default. i want to know my SNMP agent MIB oid. please tell me how to find out this information. thanks and urgent (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: champion
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to backup a Sun Ultra 60 workstation?

Hi, I'm currently an CS intern working at a small biotech company that has just opened a new office. We are working on a new project, but we were given an older Sun workstation with just a SCSI interface in the back. We don't have a systems administrator, so a couple of us have been working hard... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: PSC
7 Replies

5. Solaris

installing a UPS on a sun workstation

Has anyone ever setup the APC powerchute (business edition agent) software, using a USB drive on any solaris machines? We installed the software, and it doesnt seem to be giving the option for a /dev/usb device, it only gives options of /ttya, ttyb etc... anyone ever done this with a USB? or... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
0 Replies

6. Solaris

free software to test the hardware of a sun workstation specially the RAM how about f

hi can anybody give me a site that provide a free software for sun solaris workstation to test above title. i downloaded this RUMT-0.2 sofware in the net but it doesn't work after i try. thnks a lot for any help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jao_madn
1 Replies

7. Solaris

sun ultra 10 workstation

Hi All, I bought a sun workstation from ebay. Can I replace the cd-rom drive with a dvd-rom drive with any type? I mean, can I just buy a dvd-rom drive from a pc store? Thanks, itik (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris 10 on Sun W2100z workstation?

I am looking to buy W2100z workstation. I want to run solaris 10 on it. I realize it's a few years old, from 2004. Is it a good machine to get or should I look for a newer workstation? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: etc
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Need Sun Ultra 20 M2 Workstation Tools and Drivers CD 1.9

content deleted (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hmb
1 Replies

10. AIX

Please help: workstation broken?

I have buy an used Workstation intellistation power5 IBM. But doesn't work. How to turn on? I try to connect network asmi take the ip ping is ok telnet ok but if i try to connect to a browser give me timeout The display give me a yellow sign ! and error B150F22A Someone can help... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linusolaradm1
2 Replies
sulogin(1M)						  System Administration Commands					       sulogin(1M)

NAME
sulogin - access single-user mode SYNOPSIS
sulogin DESCRIPTION
The sulogin utility is automatically invoked by init when the system is first started. It prompts the user to type the root password to enter system maintenance mode (single-user mode) or to type EOF (typically <CTRL-D>) for normal startup (multi-user mode). The user should never directly invoke sulogin. The sulogin utility can prompt the user to enter the root password on a variable number of serial console devices, in addition to the tra- ditional console device. See consadm(1M) and msglog(7D) for a description of how to configure a serial device to display the single-user login prompt. FILES
/etc/default/sulogin Default value can be set for the following flag: PASSREQ Determines if login requires a password. Default is PASSREQ=YES. /etc/default/login Default value can be set for the following flag: SLEEPTIME If present, sets the number of seconds to wait before login failure is printed to the screen and another login attempt is allowed. Default is 4 seconds. Minimum is 0 seconds. Maximum is 5 seconds. Both su(1M) and login(1) are affected by the value of SLEEPTIME. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsr | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
login(1), consadm(1M), init(1M), su(1M), attributes(5), msglog(7D) SunOS 5.10 25 Sep 2002 sulogin(1M)