Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Converting past date to seconds Post 302302327 by synergy_texas on Monday 30th of March 2009 05:09:51 PM
Old 03-30-2009
Converting past date to seconds

Need a little help developing a ksh script. Have read through Perderabo's datecalc routine and it does not seem to fit the function I am looking for. Basically what I am trying to do is find any file (in a specific directory) that was created within the last five minutes. I am not a programming expert but do have a lot of background. Need a Korn shell example or a Perl example that I can call from ksh. Not a Perl programmer, but can understand the basics.

I am a simple guy and like to keep things simple. What I am currently using is to get the current date in seconds and then subtracting 5 minutes.

SECONDS=`date +%s`
FIVEMINSAGO=`expr $SECONDS - 300`

Now what I need is to convert the datestamp of my files to seconds as well. My file is the cut command from an ls -ltr. See example:
Mar 25 11:35 1658.wulog
Mar 25 12:08 1659.wulog
Mar 25 12:29 1660.wulog
Mar 25 12:38 1661.wulog
Mar 25 15:39 1662.wulog

If I can get the date and time converted to seconds, then all I need to do is see if that conversion is greater than $FIVEMINSAGO. That is the easy part. What I am not sure about is how to easily convert the date/timestamps in the example above. Any slick (easy) solution would be greatly appreciated.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

a simple way of converting a date in seconds to normal date

Hi all! I'm working on a HPUX system, and I was wondering if there is a simple way to convert a date from seconds (since 1970) to a normal date. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: travian
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get date and time for past 1 hour from current date

Hi, I need to get the date and time for past 1 hour from the current date. Anyone know how to do so? Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: spch2o
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find a date which is 7 days past when given current date

hii all. I have to get the date of the 7th day past from the current date. if i give the current date as sep 3 then i must get the date as 27th of august. can we get the values from the "cal" command. cal | awk '{print $2}' will this type of command work. actually my need is if today is... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: ladtony
17 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get Previous date of a past date

Hi all, I have a variable where it has a past date value in the format YYYY-MM-DD eg-> pcontromModate="2008-11-31" How can i get the date 1 day before the pcontromModate. The required date is 2008-11-30. ..Plz reply since its an urgent one (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: morbid_angel
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting a date to friday date and finding Min/Max date

Dear all, I have 2 questions. I have a file with many rows which has date of the format YYYYMMDD. 1. I need to change the date to that weeks friday date(Ex: 20120716(monday) to 20120720). Satuday/Sunday has to be changed to next week friday date too. 2. After converting the date to... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: 2001.arun
10 Replies

6. Linux

date of a specific past day

Can I print the date of a specific date? Let say, today is 20 and I want to print in date format the day 14 I know that I can do this: date --date='last Mon' but How can I do this?: date --date='last 14' ?? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kernel_panic
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Seven days past date from current date

hi all.. i want 2 know how 2 find 7days past date from current date.. when i used set datetime = `date '+%m%d%y'` i got 060613.. i just want to know hw to get 053013.. i tried using date functions but couldnt get it :( i use c shell and there is no chance that i can change that ..... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rahul619
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting seconds to time

I have a list of time spans in seconds, and want to compute the time span as hh:mm:nn I am coding in bash and have coded the following. However, the results are wrong as "%.0f" rounds the values. Example: ftm: 25793.5 tmspan(hrs,min,sec): 7.16 429.89 25793.50 hh: 7 mm: 10 ss:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting time format as Integer to seconds

Hello, How can we convert date like format 20181004171050 in seconds ? I can able to convert till date but failing for HHMMSS. date -d "20181004" "+%s" output as 1538596800 . But when i add hhmmss it is failing date -d "20181004172000" "+%s" result Invalid date Kindly guide. Regards (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: sadique.manzar
16 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting seconds to minutes

Hello everyone, I calculate in my bash script the different between two timestamps in seconds. The next step would be to get the difference in minutes, and there is my Problem:AnzahlUeberstunden=$(( $(date -d "$JAHR-$MONAT-$TAG $ArbeitEnde" +%s) - $(date -d "$JAHR-$MONAT-$TAG... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chaos_Lord
6 Replies