Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting equivalent of backspace in ksh Post 302302274 by solaix14 on Monday 30th of March 2009 02:11:36 PM
Old 03-30-2009
equivalent of backspace in ksh

Hello All,
What would be the equivalent of backspace key in the korn shell.
My scenario is: I am trying to install a product..and it comes out with a Licence Agreement screen, When I manually enter backspace key..I am able to get out of the whole agreement message to a point to type Agree A) or Disagree D).
How is this acomplised while using korn shell....

thanks people.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl equivalent of ksh if / echo statement

Is there an equivalent perl statement for the following ksh statement ? example if then ... else ... fi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gefa
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

what is ksh equivalent of bash echo -n ?

Hi folks, I need to stop printing a new line after echoing a string in KSH. i know bash provides echo -n "string" what is the ksh equivalent for this ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mudhireddy
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Using backspace in solaris - help

Hi In solaris if i have to delete something from shell i need to use ctrl+H, coz if i use backspace it shows ^?. Can any one please tell me how to set backspace key so that i can delete any character directly instead of using Ctrl+h. Second Q is like in linux for going to recent command, i... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to test for backspace

Hi all, I am using a script which is as follows: It reads a character. I want to check if the character is a backspace character or some other character. read -n 1 x if ; then echo "backspace detected" else echo "some other character" fi Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anandkumar
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Script equivalent KSH script?

I always find BASH easier than ksh. At my home, i have written this bash script. I am finding it hard to write its equivalent in ksh, any suggestions? ###################################### #return seconds since `00:00:00 1970-01-01 UTC' (a GNU extension)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: boy18nj
1 Replies

6. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

backspace in vi search

Hi gurus, i use vi editor. when I want search something I Type / (or ? if i want search backward), that is OK. But when i make mistake in searching string how can i delete character ? I tried bacskpase but did not work (gives just strange characters). Also tried shift+bacskspace but this only... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wakatana
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh equivalent to >& in csh

In csh I am using >&. What is the equivalent in ksh?? >& - redirect stdout and stderr (csh,tcsh) (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
18 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

What is the ksh equivalent to bash's "history -c" command?

Hi, What is the korn shell equivalent of bash shell's "history -c" command? I do know, how to clear the history list in ksh, I can do the following: > ~/.sh_historybut still, I am interested to know the single one line command as 'history -c' gives error on my ksh (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect : what is the equivalent to ksh if -s

In Ksh to check if file exists and is non zero .. if ; then echo "Error $FILE does not exists!" else echo "$FILE found!" fi Cant seem to find the Expect equivalent .... Any help is greatly appreciated. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: popeye
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl : Perl equivalent to the ksh | and ;

Ive been trying to move to Perl. It has been a struggle. My question is, is there a good resource that explains nesting statements. As an example. To change primary Factory CTS 1.9.0(46) P1 *Slot 1 CTS 1.10.2(42) P1 To primary *Slot 1 CTS 1.10.2(42) P1 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: popeye
5 Replies
suspend(1)							   User Commands							suspend(1)

NAME
suspend - shell built-in function to halt the current shell SYNOPSIS
sh suspend csh suspend ksh suspend DESCRIPTION
sh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). csh Stop the shell in its tracks, much as if it had been sent a stop signal with ^Z. This is most often used to stop shells started by su. ksh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), kill(1), ksh(1), sh(1), su(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 suspend(1)