Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting merging info from 2 files into 1 Post 302302184 by joeyg on Monday 30th of March 2009 09:45:56 AM
Old 03-30-2009
Tools thinking awk and a couple of arrays is the way to go

Something like the following would allow you to create arrays as you read thru each of your files. The following STARTS the coding for awk to read and set some variables to arrays. This still needs logic on what to write out to a work (output) file, and also ENDING logic. [Don't want to do everything for you.]
If you think this might be a way to go, you could start with this coding and research on how to do the remaining awk commands necessary.

Code:
awk -v wrk1=$workfile1ns -v wrk2x=$workfile2x '
      BEGIN {
         FSf1=","
         FSf2=","
      }
      FNR == 1 {
          if (FILENAME==wrk2x) FS=FSf2
          if (FILENAME==wrk1) FS=FSf1
          $0=$0
      }
      FILENAME==wrk1 { 
         medx[$1]=$2
         }

FILENAME==wrk2x{ 
         ua1_pl[$1]=$2
         }

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging info

Hi, pls advise how could we merge contents of lines from 2 different files into 1 file but shares common label continously as in the following example: Thanks in advance...rgds. File1: // line: 0 abc def // line: 1 ghi jkl File2: // line: 0 mno pqr // line: 1 stu vwx End... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manan
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Merging two files

Hi I have a requirement like this. I have two files This is how data1.txt looks: EI3171280 38640658501 NENN2005-12-129999-12-312005-12-12HALL NANCY 344 CHENEY HIGHWAY ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: venommaker
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

merging files

Thanks in advance I have 2 files having key field in each.I would like to join both on common key.I have used join but not sucessful. The files are attached here . what i Want in the output is on the key field SLS OFFR . I have used join commd but not successful. File one ======= SNO ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vakharia Mahesh
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

merging two files

Friends, os: redhat enterprise linux/SCO UNIX5.0 I have two files and I would like to merge on given key value. Now I have tried with join commd but it does not supporte multiple delimiters. and if records length is not fixed. join -a1 5 -a2 1 -t -o file1 file2 > outname Can any... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vakharia Mahesh
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with merging files

i would like to merge two files that have the same format but have different data. i would like to create one output file that contains information from both the original files.:rolleyes: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: joe black
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Merging two files

Hi, I have two files a.txt and b.txt. a.txt 1 2 3 4 b.txt a b c d e I want to generate a file c.txt by merging these two file and the resultant file would contain c.txt 1 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging files

I have two files file 1 containing x rows and 1 column file 2 containing x rows and 1 column I want to merge both the files and add a comma between the two eg plz guide (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: test_user
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

merging two files

file1.txt 1 2 10 11 56 57 7 8 43 44 and let's suppose that there is a file called file2.txt with 100 columns I want to produce a file3.txt with columns specified in file1.txt in that order (1,2,10,11,56,57,7,8,43,44) Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnkim0806
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging two files

Guys, I am having little problem with getting a daily report! The daily process that I do is as follows 1. Unload Header for the report from the systables to one unl file, say Header.unl 2. Unload the data from the required table/tables to another unl file, say Data.unl 3. Send a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: PikK45
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging two files

Hi All , I have a scenario where we need to combine two files . Below are the sample files and expected output , File 1: 1|ab 1|ac 1|ae 2|ad 2|ac File 2: 1|xy 1|fc 2|gh 2|ku Output file : 1|ab|xy (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saj
3 Replies
HOBBITLAUNCH(8) 					      System Manager's Manual						   HOBBITLAUNCH(8)

NAME
hobbitlaunch - Master program to launch other Xymon programs SYNOPSIS
hobbitlaunch [options] DESCRIPTION
hobbitlaunch(8) is the main program that controls the execution and scheduling of all of the components in the Xymon system. hobbitlaunch allows the administrator to add, remove or change the set of Xymon applications and extensions without restarting Xymon - hob- bitlaunch will automatically notice any changes in the set of tasks, and change the scheduling of activities accordingly. hobbitlaunch also allows the administrator to setup specific logfiles for each component of the Xymon system, instead of getting output from all components logged to a single file. OPTIONS
--env=FILENAME Loads the environment from FILENAME before starting other tools. The environment defined by FILENAME is the default, it can be overridden by the ENVFILE option in hobbitlaunch.cfg(5) --config=FILENAME This option defines the file that hobbitlaunch scans for tasks it must launch. A description of this file is in hobbitlaunch.cfg(5) The default tasklist is /etc/hobbitlaunch.cfg --log=FILENAME Defines the logfile where hobbitlaunch logs information about failures to launch tasks and other data about the operation of hobbit- launch. Logs from individual tasks are defined in the hobbitlaunch.cfg file. By default this is logged to stdout. --pidfile=FILENAME Filename which hobbitlaunch saves its own process-ID to. Commonly used by automated start/stop scripts. --verbose Logs the launch of all tasks to the logfile. Note that the logfile may become quite large if you enable this. --dump Just dump the contents of the hobbitlaunch.cfg file after parsing it. Used for debugging. --debug Enable debugging output while running. --no-daemon hobbitlaunch normally detaches from the controlling tty and runs as a background task. This option keeps it running in the fore- ground. STARTING TASKS
hobbitlaunch will read the configuration file and start all of the tasks listed there. If a task completes abnormally (i.e. terminated by a signal or with a non-zero exit status), then hobbitlaunch will attempt to restart it 5 times. If it still will not run, then the task is disabled for 10 minutes. This will be logged to the hobbitlaunch logfile. If the configuration file changes, hobbitlaunch will re-read it and notice any changes. If a running task was removed from the configura- tion, then the task is stopped. If a new task was added, it will be started. If the command used for a task changed, or it was given a new environment definition file, or the logfile was changed, then the task is stopped and restarted with the new definition. SEE ALSO
hobbitlaunch.cfg(5), xymon(7) Xymon Version 4.2.3: 4 Feb 2009 HOBBITLAUNCH(8)