Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Awk regular expressions
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Awk regular expressions Post 302302111 by chella on Monday 30th of March 2009 05:53:27 AM
Old 03-30-2009
Awk regular expressions

Hi Experts,

Can you please help me out for the below scenario,

I have a variable length file with the fixed number of columns, in which the fields are delimited by pipe symbol (|). From that file I have to extract the lines which has the following scenario,
The field1 in a line should have the field2 as its part.
For example,
sample.out
A123(BCD)|BCD|DEFGH||WE|
C234|54CD|DFVCSE|W|TY|

From the above sample file, I have to extract the line A123(BCD)|BCD|DEFGH||WE| , in which the field1 has the value of field2 enclosed in brackets.

Hope I am clear.

I have tried using awk -F'|' '{if( $1 ~ /$2/ ) {print $0;}}' sample.out
This is not working for me.

Kindly help me out for this.

Thanks in advance,

Chella.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

regular expressions

Hello, Let say I have a string with content "Free 100%". How can extract only "100" using ksh? I would this machanism to work if instead of "100" there is any kind of combination of numbers(ex. "32", "1238", "1"). I want to get only the digits. I have written something like this: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: whatever
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Regular expressions

In regular expressions with grep(or egrep), ^ works if we want something in starting of line..but what if we write ^^^ or ^ for pattern matching??..Hope u all r familiar with regular expressions for pattern matching.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aadi_uni
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expressions

#!/usr/bin/perl $word = "one last challenge"; if ( $word =~ /^(\w+).*\s(\w+)$/ ) { print "$1"; print "\n"; print "$2"; } The output shows that "$1" is with result one and "$2" is with result challenge. I am confused about how this pattern match expression works step by step. I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: DavidHe
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Handling regular expressions in awk

Script is: accept filename as argument(also handle CTRL+C).to check whether th file exist in the current directory,it it then using awk find the employees who are either born in 1990 or drawing a salary greater than 25000. In my database file 1st field is of id ,2nd field is name,5th field is of... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priyanka Bhati
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Test Regular Expressions on Arrays in Awk

How would I test for a suffix on an element in an array? e.g. testing for /$html/ of an element array (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ROFL
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with regular expressions

I have a file that I'm trying to find all the cases of phone number extensions and deleting them. So input file looks like: abc x93825 def 13234 x52673 hello output looks like: abc def 13234 hello Basically delete lines that have 5 numbers following "x". I tried: x\(4) but it... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pxalpine
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expressions

Hi Ilove unix and alwyas trying to to learn unix,but i am weak in using regular expressions.can you please give me a littel brief discription that how can i understand them and how to use .your response could lead a great hand in my unix love. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manoj attri
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assistance required with awk and regular expressions

Hello there, I am trying to get my head around the section below of a script we use that incorporates AWK and Regular Expressions. { match($0,"The broker*");print $1,$2,$3 ":", substr($0, RSTART,RLENGTH)} I have a basic understanding of how match works, what I am struggling with is the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimbojames
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk or sed or python for regular expressions ?

Linux 6.X environments (RHEL, Oracle Linux ) I could write basic shell scripts in bash. In my spare time, I was planning to learn awk or sed to deal with regular expression tasks I have to deal with. But, I gather that python is gaining popularity these days and I came to know that python has a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: John K
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expressions

I need to pick a part of string lets stay started with specific character and end with specific character to replace using sed command the line is like this:my audio book 71-skhdfon1dufgjhgf8.wav' I want to move the characters beginning with - end before. I have different files with random... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: XP_2600
2 Replies
YAZ_SORT(3)								 1							       YAZ_SORT(3)

yaz_sort - Sets sorting criteria

SYNOPSIS
void yaz_sort (resource $id, string $criteria) DESCRIPTION
This function sets sorting criteria and enables Z39.50 Sort. Call this function beforeyaz_search(3). Using this function alone does not have any effect. When used in conjunction with yaz_search(3), a Z39.50 Sort will be sent after a search response has been received and before any records are retrieved with Z39.50 Present (yaz_present(3). PARAMETERS
o $id - The connection resource returned by yaz_connect(3). o $criteria - A string that takes the form field1 flags1 field2 flags2 where field1 specifies the primary attributes for sort, field2 seconds, etc.. The field specifies either a numerical attribute combinations consisting of type=value pairs separated by comma (e.g. 1=4,2=1) ; or the field may specify a plain string criteria (e.g. title. The flags is a sequence of the following characters which may not be separated by any white space. Sort Flags o a - Sort ascending o d - Sort descending o i - Case insensitive sorting o s - Case sensitive sorting RETURN VALUES
No value is returned. EXAMPLES
Example #1 Sort Criterias To sort on Bib1 attribute title, case insensitive, and ascending you would use the following sort criteria: 1=4 ia If the secondary sorting criteria should be author, case sensitive and ascending you would use: 1=4 ia 1=1003 sa PHP Documentation Group YAZ_SORT(3)