Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting AWK Matching Fields and Combining Files Post 302301994 by ldapswandog on Sunday 29th of March 2009 05:24:26 PM
Old 03-29-2009
First create a sorted copy of file1 and file2 then use join to create your output file3
Code:
sort -nk 1,1 file1 > file1_sorted
sort -nk 2,2 file2 > file2_sorted

join -t" " -1 1 -2 2 -o 2.1,2.2,2.3,2.4,1.4,1.5,1.6 file1_sorted file2_sorted > file3

Last edited by ldapswandog; 03-30-2009 at 10:26 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matching and combining two files

Hi, How can I match the first two fields of file2 against the first two fields of file1 and where they match combine the two lines. If the name (example-Aidan Rielly) is in file1 but not in file2 then just write the info from file1 to the combined output file. If the name (example-Silvia... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: p3t3r
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

combining fields in awk

I am using: ps -A -o command,%cpu to get process and cpu usage figures. I want to use awk to split up the columns it returns. If I use: awk '{print "Process: "$1"\nCPU Usage: "$NF"\n"}' the $NF will get me the value in the last column, but if there is more than one word in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: json4639
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matching and combining two files

Hi there, I have two files. What I want to do is search for the values in second field of file1 in the 6th field of the file2 and of they match to add the fields 1-5 of the file2 at the end of the line of file1 with a comma before. E.g File1 FWB,CHUAGT87HUMAS/BUD01,REUAIR08KLM... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sickboy
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

To get an output by combining fields from two different files

Hi guys, I couldn't find solution to this problem. If anyone knows please help me out. your guidance is highly appretiated. I have two files - FILE1 has the following 7 columns ( - has been added to make columns visible enough else columns are separated by single space) 155.34 - leg - 1... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: smriti_shridhar
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK- delimiting the strings and matching the fields

Hello, I am newbie in awk. I have just started learning it. 1) I have input file which looks like: {4812 4009 1602 2756 306} {4814 4010 1603 2757 309} {8116 9362 10779 } {10779 10121 9193 10963 10908} {1602 2756 306 957 1025} {1603 2757 307} and so on..... 2) In output: a)... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kajolo
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: adding fields after matching $1

Dear AWK-experts! I did get stuck in the task of combining files after matching fields, so I'm still awkward with learning AWK. There are 2 files: one containing 3 columns with ID, coding status, and score for long noncoding RNAs: file1 (1.txt) (>5000 lines) ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: kben
12 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Awk: matching multiple fields between 2 files

Hi, I have 2 tab-delimited input files as follows. file1.tab: green A apple red B apple file2.tab: apple - A;Z Objective: Return $1 of file1 if, . $1 of file2 matches $3 of file1 and, . any single element (separated by ";") in $3 of file2 is present in $2 of file1 In order to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: beca123456
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to print fields that match using conditions and a default value for non-matching in two files

Trying to use awk to match the contents of each line in file1 with $5 in file2. Both files are tab-delimited and there may be a space or special character in the name being matched in file2, for example in file1 the name is BRCA1 but in file2 the name is BRCA 1 or in file1 name is BCR but in file2... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Continued trouble matching fields in different files and selective field printing ([g]awk)

I apologize in advance, but I continue to have trouble searching for matches between two files and then printing portions of each to output in awk and would very much appreciate some help. I have data as follows: File1 PS012,002 PRQ 0 1 1 17 1 0 -1 3 2 1 2 -1 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvoot
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk for matching fields between files with repeated records

Hello all, I am having trouble with what should be an easy task, but seem to be missing something fundamental. I have two files, with File 1 consisting of a single field of many thousands of records. I also have File 2 with two fields and many thousands of records. My goal is that when $1 of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvoot
2 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)