Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications High Performance Computing High reliability web server - cluster, redundancy, etc Post 302301982 by bsaadmin on Sunday 29th of March 2009 04:29:48 PM
Old 03-29-2009
High reliability web server - cluster, redundancy, etc

Hi. I am IT manager/developer for a small organization. I have been doing as-needed linux server administration for several years and am by no means an expert. I've built several of my own servers, and our org is currently using hosting services for our servers and I am relatively happy.

We recently had an outage at the host, and management has made clear that this is unacceptable. Our host is one of the larger ones, a publicly traded company, and their techs are onsite and knowledgeable. The outage was a problem with the pipe between the hosting company and the backbone to the internet, caused by the hosting company's pipe provider. It lasted about 25 minutes. Just FYI.

So the conversation about redundancy and clusters has begun. I have never done this before. My hosting company offers a cluster plan that would be easy to implement (CPanel based) but that won't solve the problem of a pipe outage. We are thinking of clustered web servers (apache, php) and clustered databases (mysql) in different locations geographically. Wha are the considerations involved? Rough idea of costs, risks that remain, etc.

Any direction would be really appreciated.

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

High Availability zone on Sun Cluster

HI Experts, Could some one help me in configuring high availability zone on Sun Cluster Reg: Sudhan (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhan143
3 Replies

2. Red Hat

Red Hat High Availability (HA) Cluster

How can we implement a service in HA, which in not available in HA. like sldap or customize application. Requirement Details. NODE1 service slapd is running.(Require) NODE2 service slapd is running.(Require) on both the node replication is happening. Now here requirement is need... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priy
2 Replies

3. Red Hat

Web server cluster at some point ?

What's the best way clusters for Storage at some point? (The way that data is the same in all parts) To set up a Web server cluster is the logical way?! Cluster database and Storage and then by keepalived + HA cluster will be communicated? Or, there a better solution? (For about 4 points) Thank... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnnn
0 Replies
Authen::Simple::LDAP(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Authen::Simple::LDAP(3pm)

NAME
Authen::Simple::LDAP - Simple LDAP authentication SYNOPSIS
use Authen::Simple::LDAP; my $ldap = Authen::Simple::LDAP->new( host => 'ldap.company.com', basedn => 'ou=People,dc=company,dc=net' ); if ( $ldap->authenticate( $username, $password ) ) { # successfull authentication } # or as a mod_perl Authen handler PerlModule Authen::Simple::Apache PerlModule Authen::Simple::LDAP PerlSetVar AuthenSimpleLDAP_host "ldap.company.com" PerlSetVar AuthenSimpleLDAP_basedn "ou=People,dc=company,dc=net" <Location /protected> PerlAuthenHandler Authen::Simple::LDAP AuthType Basic AuthName "Protected Area" Require valid-user </Location> DESCRIPTION
Authenticate against a LDAP service. METHODS
o new This method takes a hash of parameters. The following options are valid: o host Connection host, can be a hostname, IP number or a URI. Defaults to "localhost". host => ldap.company.com host => 10.0.0.1 host => ldap://ldap.company.com:389 host => ldaps://ldap.company.com o port Connection port, default to 389. May be overridden by host if host is a URI. port => 389 o timeout Connection timeout, defaults to 60. timeout => 60 o version The LDAP version to use, defaults to 3. version => 3 o binddn The distinguished name to bind to the server with, defaults to bind anonymously. binddn => 'uid=proxy,cn=users,dc=company,dc=com' o bindpw The credentials to bind with. bindpw => 'secret' o basedn The distinguished name of the search base. basedn => 'cn=users,dc=company,dc=com' o filter LDAP filter to use in search, defaults to "(uid=%s)". filter => '(uid=%s)' o scope The search scope, can be "base", "one" or "sub", defaults to "sub". filter => 'sub' o log Any object that supports "debug", "info", "error" and "warn". log => Log::Log4perl->get_logger('Authen::Simple::LDAP') o authenticate( $username, $password ) Returns true on success and false on failure. EXAMPLE USAGE
Apple Open Directory my $ldap = Authen::Simple::LDAP->new( host => 'od.company.com', basedn => 'cn=users,dc=company,dc=com', filter => '(&(objectClass=inetOrgPerson)(objectClass=posixAccount)(uid=%s))' ); Microsoft Active Directory my $ldap = Authen::Simple::LDAP->new( host => 'ad.company.com', binddn => 'proxyuser@company.com', bindpw => 'secret', basedn => 'cn=users,dc=company,dc=com', filter => '(&(objectClass=organizationalPerson)(objectClass=user)(sAMAccountName=%s))' ); Active Directory by default does not allow anonymous binds. It's recommended that a proxy user is used that has sufficient rights to search the desired tree and attributes. SEE ALSO
Authen::Simple::ActiveDirectory. Authen::Simple. Net::LDAP. AUTHOR
Christian Hansen "chansen@cpan.org" COPYRIGHT
This program is free software, you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.14.2 2012-04-23 Authen::Simple::LDAP(3pm)