Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Remove spaces between file names Post 302301925 by bakunin on Sunday 29th of March 2009 09:08:40 AM
Old 03-29-2009
The problem with your code is that the shell uses whitespace to delimit words.

Suppose you have a file named "two words", and you write a command like "cp two words" - how is the shell supposed to know wether you want the file "two" copied to "words" or if you are talking about the file "two words" and the second argument is missing?

The same is true for the for-loop, which passes one argument at a time to the content of the loop - and "one argument" is "one word", because this is where the stream the for-loop works on was split at.

So, here is a script which relies on exactly this mechanism:

Code:
#!/usr/bin/ksh

typeset oldfile=""
typeset newfile=""

# the grep filters for filenames with spaces only:
ls -1 | grep "[^ ] [^ ]" | while read oldfile ; do
     newfile="$( print - $oldfile | tr -d ' ')"
     print - "mv \"${oldfile}\" \"${newfile}\"" # just display, next line is working
     # mv "$oldfile" "$newfile"
done

By the way: do not use for-loops to process lists of unknown length, like a directory listing. If the list grows too long it will exceed your maximum line length (see syslimits.h) and your code will break. Using a while-loop removes this risk.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

File names with spaces? Is it possible?

Gurus - I got one simple TXT file with long file name with blank spaces in between the words. I am trying to display that full file name, but it breaks while displaying. Could somebody shed some light here? Script ------ for i in `cat ~\temp\employee.txt` do echo $i done (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Eric_2005
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dealing with spaces in file names in a shell script

Hi, What's the best way to find all files under a directory - including ones with space - in order to apply a command to each of them. For instance I want get a list of files under a directory and generate a checksum for each file. Here's the csh script: #!/bin/csh set files = `find $1... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: same1290
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to use mimesender to send attachments with spaces in the file names / paths

Hello, I found the mimesender multiple attachment emailing shell script in the FAQ of these forums, and I have been able to use it to send multiple files, but only if they don't have spaces in their file name or path. When I attempt to send a file with spaces in it's name, enclosed... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsmorra
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Opening File names with spaces inside it !- PERL

I developed a perl code..And the excerpt from it is given below... open(HANDLE,$cmp_path) ; #reading the xml file from the file path while($file_path = <HANDLE>) I have list of XML files to read from a folder. It has some spaces inside the name of the file...I used "\"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gameboy87
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to strip the spaces in file names?

please somebody tell me what is wrong with this, while the thumbnail grabbing works and encoding works, but what is not working is, mv $i.jpg /var/www/thumbs/ and mv $i.mp4 /var/www/uploads/ #!/bin/bash # MINT 9 - FFMPEG - QT-FASTSTART - X264 - MP4 DIR=/var/www/tmp for i in... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mysoogal
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove spaces from start of file names

Hi, I have a directory with the following file names 01 - abc hyn 02-def 03-ghi.dir 04 - jhu.dir abc1 kil def bil The last two file names abc1 starts with one space and def starts with double space. I want these files in my directory to be renamed as ABC HYN DEF GHI.dir... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
6 Replies

7. OS X (Apple)

Remove leading spaces from file names and folders

Hi All, I have a vexing issue with leading spaces in file names. Basically, we're moving tons of data from our ancient afp file share to Box.com and Box forbids leading spaces in files or folders. The HFS file system seems to be perfectly fine with this, but almost all other Unix file systems... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prometheon123
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding size of files with spaces in their file names

I am running a UNIX script to get unused files and their sizes from the server. The issue is arising due to the spaces present in the filename/folder names.Due to this the du -k command doesn't work properly.But I need to calculate the size of all files including the ones which have spaces in them.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: INNSAV1
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove spaces from the file

Hi All, The output file contains data as below. "20141023","CUSTOMER" ,"COMPANY" ,"IN0515461" ,"" ,"JOSHUA" There are spaces in between the ending " and ,. The number of spaces is random. How can I remove that from the file so that the final output is:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aarsh.dave
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove dates from file names

Hi, I'm using a shell script. I have extracted current date files to a directory1 and the date should be removed on both sides of a CSV file. FYI... I'm looking to remove the date from the file name and not inside the CSV file. Directory1 2017-07-12_gmr_tag_log_20170711.csv... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shivamayam
0 Replies
break(1)							   User Commands							  break(1)

NAME
break, continue - shell built-in functions to escape from or advance within a controlling while, for, foreach, or until loop SYNOPSIS
sh break [n] continue [n] csh break continue ksh *break [n] *continue [n] DESCRIPTION
sh The break utility exits from the enclosing for or while loop, if any. If n is specified, break n levels. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosing for or while loop. If n is specified, resume at the n-th enclosing loop. csh The break utility resumes execution after the end of the nearest enclosing foreach or while loop. The remaining commands on the current line are executed. This allows multilevel breaks to be written as a list of break commands, all on one line. The continue utility continues execution of the next iteration of the nearest enclosing while or foreach loop. ksh The break utility exits from the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop, if any. If n is specified, then break n levels. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be exited. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop. If n is specified then resume at the n- th enclosed loop. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be used. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words that follow a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign, and also that word splitting and file name genera- tion are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), exit(1), ksh(1), sh( 1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 17 Jul 2002 break(1)