Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script to delete older versions of unique files Post 302301793 by Franklin52 on Saturday 28th of March 2009 10:54:05 AM
Old 03-28-2009
Clarify your question, what is the format of the names of created subdirectories and wich directories should be delete? Give some examples.

Regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I delete files older than 7 days?

I will like to write a script that delete all files that are older than 7 days in a directory and it's subdirectories. Can any one help me out witht the magic command or script? Thanks in advance, Odogboly98:confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: odogbolu98
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete files older than 2 days using shell script in Unix

I'm new to shell script.... can any one help... What is the shell script to delete the files older than 2 days ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: satishpabba
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a script to delete previous versions of files

Hi. I need a script (either bash or perl) that can delete previous versions of files. For instance, from our continuous build process I get directories such as build5_dev_1.21 build5_dev_1.22 build5_dev_1.23 build5_dev_1.24 I need a script that I can run every night (using "at"... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbsimon000
6 Replies

4. Solaris

Delete files older than 30 days

Hi all, I want to delete log files with extension .log which are older than 30 days. How to delete those files? Operating system -- Sun solaris 10 Your input is highly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Regards, Williams (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: William1482
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for delete tmp files older than 15 days and owned by "xxx" id

Hi All , I want to delete files from /tmp directory created by "xxxx" id. because i got the list says more than 60 thousand files were created by "xxxx" id since 2002. The /tmp directory has lot of files created by different user ids like root,system etc.. But, i need a script to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vparunkumar
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete files older than today

is it -mtime +1 as i need all files older than today to be deleted (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dinjo_jo
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete files older than X days.

Hi All, I am using below code to delete files older than 2 days. In case if there are no files, I should log an error saying no files to delete. Please let me know, How I can achive this. find /path/*.xml -mtime +2 Thanks and Regards Nagaraja. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nagaraja Akkiva
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to delete files in a folder older than 2 days

hi i need a script to delete the files older than 2 days... if my input is say in a folder versions A_14122012.txt A_15122012.txt A_16122012.txt A_17122012.txt i want my output to be A_16122012.txt A_17122012.txt thanks in advance hemanth saikumar. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemanthsaikumar
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to delete files older than x days and also taking an input for multiple paths

Hi , I am a newbie!!! I want to develop a script for deleting files older than x days from multiple paths. Now I could reach upto this piece of code which deletes files older than x days from a particular path. How do I enhance it to have an input from a .txt file or a .dat file? For eg:... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhilmil
12 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to delete all the files older than a date?

Hi, I need a command for deleting all the compress files *.Z that are older than the current date - 5 days. Basically I have a directory where daily I meet some back up files and I want to remove automatically the ones 5 days (or more) older than the current date. How can I write a 'rm' command... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Francy
1 Replies
FDUPES(1)						      General Commands Manual							 FDUPES(1)

NAME
fdupes - finds duplicate files in a given set of directories SYNOPSIS
fdupes [ options ] DIRECTORY ... DESCRIPTION
Searches the given path for duplicate files. Such files are found by comparing file sizes and MD5 signatures, followed by a byte-by-byte comparison. OPTIONS
-r --recurse for every directory given follow subdirectories encountered within -R --recurse: for each directory given after this option follow subdirectories encountered within (note the ':' at the end of option; see the Examples section below for further explanation) -s --symlinks follow symlinked directories -H --hardlinks normally, when two or more files point to the same disk area they are treated as non-duplicates; this option will change this behav- ior -n --noempty exclude zero-length files from consideration -f --omitfirst omit the first file in each set of matches -A --nohidden exclude hidden files from consideration -1 --sameline list each set of matches on a single line -S --size show size of duplicate files -m --summarize summarize duplicate files information -q --quiet hide progress indicator -d --delete prompt user for files to preserve, deleting all others (see CAVEATS below) -N --noprompt when used together with --delete, preserve the first file in each set of duplicates and delete the others without prompting the user -v --version display fdupes version -h --help displays help SEE ALSO
md5sum(1) NOTES
Unless -1 or --sameline is specified, duplicate files are listed together in groups, each file displayed on a separate line. The groups are then separated from each other by blank lines. When -1 or --sameline is specified, spaces and backslash characters () appearing in a filename are preceded by a backslash character. EXAMPLES
fdupes a --recurse: b will follow subdirectories under b, but not those under a. fdupes a --recurse b will follow subdirectories under both a and b. CAVEATS
If fdupes returns with an error message such as fdupes: error invoking md5sum it means the program has been compiled to use an external program to calculate MD5 signatures (otherwise, fdupes uses internal routines for this purpose), and an error has occurred while attempting to execute it. If this is the case, the specified program should be properly installed prior to running fdupes. When using -d or --delete, care should be taken to insure against accidental data loss. When used together with options -s or --symlink, a user could accidentally preserve a symlink while deleting the file it points to. Furthermore, when specifying a particular directory more than once, all files within that directory will be listed as their own duplicates, leading to data loss should a user preserve a file without its "duplicate" (the file itself!). AUTHOR
Adrian Lopez <adrian2@caribe.net> FDUPES(1)