Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming help me understand exec() family of calls... Post 302301787 by Perderabo on Saturday 28th of March 2009 10:16:36 AM
Old 03-28-2009
The arguments absolutely must be separated because each argument will be a separate element in the argv array. Things like shells and the system() subroutine accept arguments separated by spaces, but they must isolate each argument prior to calling exec().

exec() tells the kernel to replace the current existing program with a new program. The kernel roughly:

1. saves a copy of the new argv array and a copy of the environment
2. frees any private memory area
3. disconnects the process from any shared memory area including a shared text segment and any shared libraries.

Note: At this point, any code following the exec call no longer exists in the process. The same is true of any code prior to the exec call and even the exec call itself. It's all gone.

4. reads in the exec'ed program and reconstructs a working program. The environment and the arguments are copied into the new program.

5. transfers control to the newly created program.

Note that this all happens in one process. The process id does not change. The program that the process is running changes. After an exec() a process might be smaller (use less memory) than it did prior to the exec().

You can't emulate stuff like this in userland. Only the kernel can do this sort of thing.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Identification of data calls & voice calls

Is there any facility to filter/identify the data calls and voice calls coming throug modem? OR Can we get the data or voice calls information through a script(preferably C Kermit)? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcsaji
0 Replies

2. OS X (Apple)

Address family not supported by protocol family

Hi, I compiled with no error a C program, than I tryed to execute it and than I get this error: connessione al server fallita: Address family not supported by protocol family What does it mean? Why I get this error only on Mac os x while on Ubuntu the program works? The code is:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DNAx86
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash shell: 'exec', 'eval', 'source' - looking for help to understand

Hi, experts. Whould anybody clear explay me difference and usage of these 3 commands (particulary in bash) : exec eval source I've tryed to read the manual pages but did not get much. Also could not get something useful from Google search - just so much and so not exactly, that is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Family tree illustrated

hello is there a family tree, or words that would illustrate the family tree of, Unix -> Linux As i would understand Unix, it is a OS. And Linux is a ?, is Linux a OS or a sub structure inside of the Unix OS ?. Have you ever seen one of those family tree`s where ma and pa are shown at... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cowLips
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script Variables Inquiry, Values Okay in Standalone Exec, No-Show in Cron Exec

I have the following bash script lines in a file named test.sh. #!/bin/bash # # Write Date to cron.log # echo "Begin SSI Load $(date +%d%b%y_%T)" # # Get the latest rates file for processing. # d=$(ls -tr /rms/data/ssi | grep -v "processed" | tail -n 1) filename=$d export filename... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ginowms
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to understand use exec command

Hi i am in learning phase of unix. i was going through exec in a unix book. below is the command exec n>file exec n>>file however when i used the exec command like below , where ex is the file name exec 2>>exand then do ls -lrt then again when i do the ls -lrt to see the size of the file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptor
3 Replies

7. Programming

Working of exec family of functions

Hi, I am studying exec family of functions.Its man page says,it replaces the current process image with a new process image. If it replaces the binary,then after returning back,how does it get the previous parameters of the process which called exec?As replacing process image means replacing all... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Radha.Krishna
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Working of exec family of functions

Hi, I am studying exec family of functions.Its man page says,it replaces the current process image with a new process image. If it replaces the binary,then after returning back,how does it get the previous parameters of the process which called exec?As replacing process image means replacing... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Radha.Krishna
5 Replies

9. Programming

Simple shell running with exec family

# Erroneous question, so can be removed. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: beginnerboy
0 Replies
Ns_Exec(3aolserver)					   AOLserver Library Procedures 				       Ns_Exec(3aolserver)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Ns_ExecArgblk, Ns_ExecArgv, Ns_ExecProc, Ns_ExecProcess, Ns_Fork, Ns_GetEnviron, Ns_WaitForProcess, Ns_WaitProcess, ns_fork - External process execution SYNOPSIS
#include "ns.h" int Ns_ExecArgblk(char *exec, char *dir, int fdin, int fdout, char *args, Ns_Set *env) int Ns_ExecArgv(char *exec, char *dir, int fdin, int fdout, char **argv, Ns_Set *env) int Ns_ExecProc(char *exec, char **argv) int Ns_ExecProcess(char *exec, char *dir, int fdin, int fdout, char *args, Ns_Set *env) int Ns_Fork(void) char **Ns_GetEnviron(void) int Ns_WaitForProcess(int pid, int *statusPtr) int Ns_WaitProcess(int pid) int ns_fork(void) _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
These functions handle fork and exec operations. See files: nsd/exec.c, nsd/tclenv.c and nsthread/fork.c. Ns_ExecArgblk(exec, dir, fdin, fdout, args, env) Executes a command in a child process. Return process id of child process exec'ing the command or -1 on failure. Provides extended error checking and error messages. Ns_ExecArgv(exec, dir, fdin, fdout, argv, env) Execute a command in a child process using fork(2) and execve(2), returns the process id of child process exec'ing the command or -1 on failure. The child sends an extended error message to the parent. Ns_ExecProc(exec, argv) Executes a command in a child process. Returns the process id of the child process exec'ing the command or -1 on failure. Simpli- fies call to Ns_ExecArgv. Ns_ExecProcess(exec, dir, fdin, fdout, args, env) Executes a command in a child process. Returns the process id of the child process exec'ing the command or -1 on failure. Calls Ns_ExecArgblk with same arguments. Ns_Fork() Posix style fork(), using fork1() on Solaris if needed. See fork(2) man page. Calls ns_fork. Ns_GetEnviron() Returns pointer to the environment vector. Ns_WaitForProcess(pid, statusPtr) Wait for child process. Returns NS_OK on success, or NS_ERROR on failure. *statusPtr is set to the exit code of the child process. Ns_WaitProcess(pid) Wait for child process. Calls Ns_WaitForProcess with NULL statusPtr. Returns NS_OK on success, or NS_ERROR on failure. ns_fork() Posix style fork(), using fork1() on Solaris if needed. SEE ALSO
nsd(1), info(n) KEYWORDS
AOLserver 4.0 Ns_Exec(3aolserver)