Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers retrieve every 4th line from a file Post 302301719 by Gussifinknottle on Friday 27th of March 2009 05:57:13 PM
Old 03-27-2009
Thanks ldapswandog!
-G

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Retrieve line from a file based on a value in specific column

Hi, I have a file that has several values seperated by ":" 2006:John:Student:Football:Portugal:Cinema 2006:James:Engineer:Basket:Poland:Theatre 2007:Lucy:Diver:Gymnastic:England:Music 2007:Smith:Plumber:Basket:Spain:Poker I need make a filter based on the 5th field to find countries that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: efernandes
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

(cont) Retrieve line from a file based on a value in specific column

HI, Your help was great: awk -F":" '$5 ~ /^P/{print }' file I would like to know what changes need to be done to this line code, so that I can put it in a shell script and call it as the example below. example: countries that start with chacater 'P' > country P Result: ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: efernandes
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how do we retrieve a line from a file in unix

we need to capture a record from a file in to a variable and do modifications to it .. so capturing line by line in a file in to some variable (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lmadhuri
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

search and retrieve previous line in file

I've got a file with the following layout: #STMP FSgroup filename /filesysname1 filestatus 2 #STMP FSstatus filename /filesysname1 ratio 30 #STMP FSgroup filename ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: paulsew
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to retrieve a particular line from a file

Hi, I want to retrieve a particular line from a file and print its content to a file. Can you suggest how to do it in UNIX ?. Rgds vinayap (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinayap
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

query on how to search for a line and read 4th word from that line

Assume I have a text file as below: me con pi ind ken pras ur me con rome ind kent pras urs pintu con mys ind pan pras ki con kit ind sys My requirement, I need to search for "con rome" and if exists, then print 4th word from rome, i.e in above example, since "con rome"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaggesh
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract 3rd line 4th column of a file

Hi, Shell script: I would need help on How to extract 3rd line 4th column of a file with single liner Thanks in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnamurthig
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert string at particular 4th line in text file

I just want to add a particular string in text file using shell script text file format 1 columns-10 2 text=89 3 no<> 4 5 test-9876 6 size=9 string need to insert in 4th line <switch IP='158.195.2.567' port='5900' user='testc' password='asdfrp' Code='8'> After inserting the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: puneet.goel
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retrieve string from each line in a file based on a pattern in Unix

I have a file which contains several lines. Sample content of the file is as below. OK testmessage email<test@123> NOK receivemessage email<123@test> NOK receivemessage email(123@test123) NOK receivemessage email<abc@test> i would like to know by scripting will... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramasar
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep: Retrieve two strings from one file to find them anyone on line in another file

I am having trouble matching *two* strings from one file anywhere in a line of a second file, and could use some help getting this figured out. My preference would be to use grep for this because I would like to take advantage of its -A option. The latter is due to the fact that I would like both... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvoot
2 Replies
fmt(1)							      General Commands Manual							    fmt(1)

NAME
fmt - Formats mail messages prior to sending SYNOPSIS
fmt [-width] file... DESCRIPTION
The fmt command reads the input file or files, or standard input if no files are specified, and writes to standard output a version of the input with lines of a length as close as possible to width columns. (Because fmt is internationalized software, the number of display col- umns is not necessarily equivalent to the number of bytes.) The fmt command both joins and splits lines to achieve the desired width, but words are never joined or split; spaces are always preserved, and lines are split at spaces only. In effect, fmt ignores newline characters in the input and wraps words to make lines a close as possi- ble to width columns, resulting in individual lines of varying length but a consistent (new) text width overall. Because blank lines are always preserved, fmt does not merge paragraphs separated by blank lines. If you specify more than one file, the files are concatenated as input to fmt. If you do not specify -width, the default line length is 72 columns. Spacing at the beginning of input lines is always preserved in the output. The fmt command is generally used to format mail messages to improve their appearance before they are sent. It may also be useful, how- ever, for other simple formatting tasks. For example, when you are using vi, you can use the command :%!fmt -60 to reformat your text so that all lines are approximately 60 columns long. NOTES
The fmt command is a fast, simple formatting program. Standard text editing programs are more appropriate than fmt for complex formatting operations. Do not use the fmt command if the message contains embedded messages or preformatted information from other files. This com- mand formats the heading information in embedded messages and may change the format of preformatted information. EXAMPLES
file1 contains these lines: Australia is an island-continent, home to many very interesting plants and animals. To reformat this text to a narrower width, enter: fmt -30 file1 This results in the following, displayed on your screen: Australia is an island-continent, home to many very interesting plants and animals. To make file1 wider, enter: fmt -60 file1 This results in: Australia is an island-continent, home to many very interesting plants and animals. To format a message you have created with the mailx editor, at the left margin enter: ~|fmt After you enter the command, your message is formatted, in this case to the default line length of 72 columns, and the word continue is displayed to indicate that you can enter more information or send your message. SEE ALSO
Commands: mail(1), mailx(1), vi(1) fmt(1)