Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers retrieve every 4th line from a file Post 302301713 by Gussifinknottle on Friday 27th of March 2009 05:36:56 PM
Old 03-27-2009
Question retrieve every 4th line from a file

Hello,

I want to retrieve 2, 6, 10, 14...... (each 4 lines apart) from a file that looks like the sample below. In other words, I want only lines corresponding to the Xs.

Header1_a
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Header1_b
yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
Header2_a
Header2_b
Header3_a
Header3_b

Thanks for your help!
-G

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Retrieve line from a file based on a value in specific column

Hi, I have a file that has several values seperated by ":" 2006:John:Student:Football:Portugal:Cinema 2006:James:Engineer:Basket:Poland:Theatre 2007:Lucy:Diver:Gymnastic:England:Music 2007:Smith:Plumber:Basket:Spain:Poker I need make a filter based on the 5th field to find countries that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: efernandes
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

(cont) Retrieve line from a file based on a value in specific column

HI, Your help was great: awk -F":" '$5 ~ /^P/{print }' file I would like to know what changes need to be done to this line code, so that I can put it in a shell script and call it as the example below. example: countries that start with chacater 'P' > country P Result: ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: efernandes
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how do we retrieve a line from a file in unix

we need to capture a record from a file in to a variable and do modifications to it .. so capturing line by line in a file in to some variable (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lmadhuri
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

search and retrieve previous line in file

I've got a file with the following layout: #STMP FSgroup filename /filesysname1 filestatus 2 #STMP FSstatus filename /filesysname1 ratio 30 #STMP FSgroup filename ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: paulsew
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to retrieve a particular line from a file

Hi, I want to retrieve a particular line from a file and print its content to a file. Can you suggest how to do it in UNIX ?. Rgds vinayap (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinayap
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

query on how to search for a line and read 4th word from that line

Assume I have a text file as below: me con pi ind ken pras ur me con rome ind kent pras urs pintu con mys ind pan pras ki con kit ind sys My requirement, I need to search for "con rome" and if exists, then print 4th word from rome, i.e in above example, since "con rome"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaggesh
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract 3rd line 4th column of a file

Hi, Shell script: I would need help on How to extract 3rd line 4th column of a file with single liner Thanks in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnamurthig
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert string at particular 4th line in text file

I just want to add a particular string in text file using shell script text file format 1 columns-10 2 text=89 3 no<> 4 5 test-9876 6 size=9 string need to insert in 4th line <switch IP='158.195.2.567' port='5900' user='testc' password='asdfrp' Code='8'> After inserting the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: puneet.goel
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retrieve string from each line in a file based on a pattern in Unix

I have a file which contains several lines. Sample content of the file is as below. OK testmessage email<test@123> NOK receivemessage email<123@test> NOK receivemessage email(123@test123) NOK receivemessage email<abc@test> i would like to know by scripting will... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramasar
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep: Retrieve two strings from one file to find them anyone on line in another file

I am having trouble matching *two* strings from one file anywhere in a line of a second file, and could use some help getting this figured out. My preference would be to use grep for this because I would like to take advantage of its -A option. The latter is due to the fact that I would like both... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvoot
2 Replies
SPLIT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  SPLIT(1)

NAME
split -- split a file into pieces SYNOPSIS
split [-a suffix_length] [-b byte_count[k|m]] [-l line_count] [-p pattern] [file [name]] DESCRIPTION
The split utility reads the given file and breaks it up into files of 1000 lines each. If file is a single dash ('-') or absent, split reads from the standard input. The options are as follows: -a Use suffix_length letters to form the suffix of the file name. -b Create smaller files byte_count bytes in length. If ``k'' is appended to the number, the file is split into byte_count kilobyte pieces. If ``m'' is appended to the number, the file is split into byte_count megabyte pieces. -l Create smaller files n lines in length. -p pattern The file is split whenever an input line matches pattern, which is interpreted as an extended regular expression. The matching line will be the first line of the next output file. This option is incompatible with the -b and -l options. If additional arguments are specified, the first is used as the name of the input file which is to be split. If a second additional argument is specified, it is used as a prefix for the names of the files into which the file is split. In this case, each file into which the file is split is named by the prefix followed by a lexically ordered suffix using suffix_length characters in the range ``a-z''. If -a is not speci- fied, two letters are used as the suffix. If the name argument is not specified, the file is split into lexically ordered files named with prefixes in the range of ``x-z'' and with suffixes as above. SEE ALSO
csplit(1), re_format(7) STANDARDS
The split utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
A split command appeared in Version 3 AT&T UNIX. BUGS
For historical reasons, if you specify name, split can only create 676 separate files. The default naming convention allows 2028 separate files. The -a option can be used to work around this limitation. The maximum line length for matching patterns is 65536. BSD
April 16, 1994 BSD