Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl Function Array Arguement Passing Post 302301435 by Raynon on Thursday 26th of March 2009 09:49:15 PM
Old 03-26-2009
Perl Function Array Arguement Passing

Hi All,

I have some questions regarding array arguements passing for Perl Function.
If @array contains 2 items , arguements passing would be like Code_A.
But what if @array needs to add in more items, the rest of the code like $_[some number] will have to be modified as well (highlighted in red), which is very troublesome, just like in Code_B where 1 more item is added to @array. Is there an easier way to overcome this problem ?

Code_A
Code:
#!/usr/local/bin/perl

my @array = ( "AAA" , "BBB" );

Generic( @array , "WE" , "HIGH" , "DOWN" );

sub Generic {
	foreach my $file ( $_[0] , $_[1] ) {
		print "Now Processing $file ...\n";
	};

print "$_[2]\n";
	print "$_[3]\n";
	print "$_[4]\n";

}

Code_B
Code:
#!/usr/local/bin/perl

my @array = ( "AAA" , "BBB" , "CCC");

Generic( @array , "WE" , "HIGH" , "DOWN" );

sub Generic {
	foreach my $file ( $_[0] , $_[1] , $_[2]) {
		print "Now Processing $file ...\n";
	};

print "$_[3]\n";
	print "$_[4]\n";
	print "$_[5]\n";

}

Last edited by Raynon; 03-26-2009 at 10:56 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

[BASH - KSH] Passing array to a function

Passing a array to a function, a basic feature in modern language, seems to be only possible in KSH. Not in BASH. Depite all my efforts I couldn't come to a solution. See the following examples: It works perfectly in KSH: #!/usr/bin/ksh function print_array { # assign array by indirect... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ripat
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing global variable to a function which is called by another function

Hi , I have three funcions f1, f2 and f3 . f1 calls f2 and f2 calls f3 . I have a global variable "period" which i want to pass to f3 . Can i pass the variable directly in the definition of f3 ? Pls help . sars (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sars
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing a file handler and an array from Perl to Shell Script

Hi there, I am trying to call a shell script from a Perl script. here is the code: @args = ("sh", "someshellprg.sh", "a file handler", "an array"); system(@args) == 0 or die "system @args failed: $?"; in the shell program, I examine if the arguments exits using: if then echo... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinkgladiator
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to pass array as an arguement ?

Hi experts, I am here again with another Issue. I need to pass the array as parameter / argument to another script. I tried it as follows . ( I got this idea from the link ) $ cat test1.sh #! /usr/bin/ksh set -a arr1 echo "...In Test1...." arr1="APPS_DEV" arr1="TEST_DEV" echo... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajavu
16 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing arguments to Perl Function

Hi All, I am trying to pass an argument called "Pricelist" to a Perl function, then the function will open and print out the contents of the file named "Pricelist". But i can't seem to do it using my below code. Can any expert give some advice? #!/usr/local/bin/perl $DATABASE =... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Raynon
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash] passing array to function

Hi, I'm trying to write a function that reassigns an array to another local array but the method used in reassigning the array reformats the contents of the array which is what I am trying to prevent. The method used to load a file into an array works as expected and the entire array is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ASGR
4 Replies

7. Programming

Passing two dimensional array to a function

Hi. I have a problem with passing two dimensional array to a function. First, let me show my code to explain what i am going to do: I have function:void initialize_board(char board);which is supposed to modify content of passed array. I have read here: Question 6.18 how such arrays should be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shang
3 Replies

8. Programming

[solved]help passing array of structs to function in c

this is my code to try and prinnt out a deck of cards. the print function worked when used inside main without being a function but now i cant get it to work as a function probably since i dont know how to pass a struct array in c. I gave it a shot but i keep getting an assortment of errors. The... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bjhum33
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in passing date to external function from perl script.

my $sysdate = strftime('%Y-%m-%d', localtime ); biDeriveByDate('Table_Str',$sysdate,\@lIndx,\@lResVals) In a perl script, when I'm trying to pass $sysdate to some external function it's not working since $sysdate is passed as a string mentioned above but my function is expecting a date value... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Devesh5683
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variable value in a function to be used by another function

Hello All, I would like to ask help from you on how to pass variable value from a function that has been called inside the function. I have created below and put the variables in " ". Is there another way I can do this? Thank you in advance. readtasklist() { while read -r mod ver... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aderamos12
1 Replies
set_color(1)							       fish							      set_color(1)

NAME
set_color - set_color - set the terminal color set_color - set the terminal color Synopsis set_color [-v --version] [-h --help] [-b --background COLOR] [COLOR] Description Change the foreground and/or background color of the terminal. COLOR is one of black, red, green, brown, yellow, blue, magenta, purple, cyan, white and normal. o -b, --background Set the background color o -c, --print-colors Prints a list of all valid color names o -h, --help Display help message and exit o -o, --bold Set bold or extra bright mode o -u, --underline Set underlined mode o -v, --version Display version and exit Calling set_color normal will set the terminal color to whatever is the default color of the terminal. Some terminals use the --bold escape sequence to switch to a brighter color set. On such terminals, set_color white will result in a grey font color, while set_color --bold white will result in a white font color. Not all terminal emulators support all these features. This is not a bug in set_color but a missing feature in the terminal emulator. set_color uses the terminfo database to look up how to change terminal colors on whatever terminal is in use. Some systems have old and incomplete terminfo databases, and may lack color information for terminals that support it. Download and install the latest version of ncurses and recompile fish against it in order to fix this issue. Version 1.23.1 Sun Jan 8 2012 set_color(1)