Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Problem with configuring host name in Redhat Linux 5 Post 302301346 by mark54g on Thursday 26th of March 2009 03:27:18 PM
Old 03-26-2009
Do you have a domain append? Are you using a hostname without the fully qualified domain name? If not, add the domain append in /etc/resolv.conf

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux Redhat 8.0 Problem

can someone tell me what commands in Linux RedHat 8.0 will give me a graph of whats going on on my system. When Is ay graphs I mean graphs like does produced by perfview of solaris and glance of HP-UX. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Display Problem On Linux Redhat 8.0

Hey guys, can anyone please tell me how I can make linux recognize the same video adapter/monitor type that my windows box is using? i'm running linux redhat on virtual PC which enables me to have windows and linux running at the same time. (i can switch back and forth between operating... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
4 Replies

3. Red Hat

Redhat Linux - Postfix problem

We have a redhat linux el4 and used as a mail server.We configured postfix.all r working fine.we got a problem for a particular user when he tries to open his mailbox and the error is mentioned below: ERROR: Could not complete request. Query: SELECT "INBOX" Reason Given: Internal error... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramjimh2k3
3 Replies

4. Red Hat

redhat linux mail server problem

we are using redhat linux,configured the postfix as mail server and outlook is used as mail client.whenever the user opens outlook it is start downloading all the mails from the server. Example : If a user has 50 mails in the server,whenever he opens the outlook the outlook will start... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramjimh2k3
0 Replies

5. Red Hat

Rsh problem on redhat linux

Hi, I am trying to do rsh on to a redhat EL 5 machine. It repeatedly asks me for the password and die after sometime. One might think that I am giving the wrong password. But I can do 'ssh' on to that machine with the same password. Can someone tell me what I have been doing wrong? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eamani_sun
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

New line character problem with ksh on Redhat Linux

Guys, I would like to discuss the problem I am seeing with echo “\n” statement in Redhat Linux Enterprise 5.3 version. I have a shell script that was written couple of years back for generic UNIX platforms based on ksh and was tested on Solaris 8,9,10 ; AIX 5.3 and Red Hat Enterprise Linux... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rijeshpp
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Heartbeat configuring in Redhat

hi, I'm currently trying to configure Linux heartbeat on my two Linux servers(where SMPP service is running) my two machines are in two different location with different notworks (primary is in 192.168.x.x and secondary is in 10.48.x.x network) I want to know whether is it possible to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: asela115
0 Replies

8. Red Hat

redhat linux postfix problem..

hello all, If i send mails using postfix,the mails stored in queue,not delivered to required recipient...can anyone please tell me the solution for this problem... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tilakraj
4 Replies

9. IP Networking

Configuring DNS Server in Linux Redhat

Can someone help with a detail step-by-step oh how to configure DNS server on Linux Server. - I need to have 3 IP addresses map to a single hostname. for clients I'm a Linux rookie. Thanks Oscar (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: FrankOscar
1 Replies

10. Red Hat

configuring MYsql db on redhat cluster

Hello, can someone please suggest me in configuring the mysql db on redhat cluster, I have few questions. 1. where do I have to configure heart beat links, and is there any file in the redhat cluster that we update it to use these ipaddress and these interface on the node. 2. I am configuring... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby320
0 Replies
resolv.conf(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual						    resolv.conf(4)

NAME
resolv.conf - Resolver configuration file SYNOPSIS
/etc/resolv.conf DESCRIPTION
The resolver is a set of routines in the C library (resolver(4)) that provide access to the Internet Domain Name System. The resolver con- figuration file contains information that is read by the resolver routines the first time they are invoked by a process. The file is designed to be human readable and contains a list of keywords with values that provide various types of resolver information. The keyword and value must appear on a single line, and the keyword (for example, nameserver) must start the line. The value follows the keyword, separated by white space. For example: keyword value The file format is as follows: nameserver Address Internet address (in dot notation) of a name server that the resolver should query. Up to MAXNS (currently 3) name servers may be listed, one per keyword. If there are multiple servers, the resolver library queries them in the order listed. If no nameserver entries are present, the default is to use the name server on the local machine. (The algorithm used is to try a name server, and if the query times out, try the next, until out of name servers, then repeat trying all the name servers until a maximum number of retries are made). domain DomainName Local domain name. Most queries for names within this domain can use short names relative to the local domain. If no domain entry is present, the domain is determined from the local host name returned by gethostname(); the domain part is taken to be everything after the first . (dot). Finally, if the host name does not contain a domain part, the root domain is assumed. search Domain_Name1 DomainName2 ... Search list for host-name lookup. Up to six domains (separated by spaces or tabs) with a total of 256 characters can be specified. If no search entry is present, the search list consists of the local domain name. Most resolver queries will be attempted using each component of the search path in turn until a match is found. Note that this process may be slow and will generate a lot of network traffic if the servers for the listed domains are not local, and that queries will time out if no server is available for one of the domains. You can also specify a search list on a per-process basis by specifying the LOCALDOMAIN environment variable. See resolver(4). The domain and search keywords are mutually exclusive. If more than one instance of these keywords is present, the last instance will override. options allow_special all | { char } Option for defining valid characters in hostnames. Specify all to disable hostname checking (allow all characters) or define a set of valid characters by using the { char } syntax, where char is the character you want to allow. For example, you can allow the semicolon, underscore, and colon characters by using { ; \_ : }. Disabling hostname checking altogether is not recommended. By default, the allow_special option is not set and strict hostname checking is enforced. options ndots:n Option for hostname lookup. The n specifies the minimum number of dots a name must contain in order for resolver to look up the name as given. If the lookup fails, the search list (if specified) is applied. The range for n is from 0 to 15. If no options entry is present, the minimum number of dots is 1. You can also specify the number of dots on a per-process basis by using the RES_OPTIONS environment variable. See resolver(4). CAUTIONS
Any white space entered after the domain name is not ignored but is interpreted as part of the domain name. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: named(8) Functions: gethostbyname(3), resolver(4) Files: hostname(5) delim off resolv.conf(4)