Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Understanding ${parameter}
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Understanding ${parameter} Post 302301330 by victorbrca on Thursday 26th of March 2009 02:05:21 PM
Old 03-26-2009
Understanding ${parameter}

I was reading Bash Cookbook and it had a line of command that assigned a value from var2 to var1 if var1 was empty. Someone told me I could do the same with ${parameter}.

I'm just trying to understand this. Would the following be correct?

For:

Code:
answer=
default=1

Should I assume that the two lines bellow will do the same?

Code:
[ -z "$answer" ] && answer="$default"
# or
${answer:=$default} 2> /dev/null

Thanks,

Vic.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how do I make dynamic parameter names? Or get the value of a parameter evaluated twi

Say I write something like the following: var1=1 var2=2 for int in 1 2 do echo "\$var$int" done I want the output to be: 1 2 Instead I get something like: $var1 $var2 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Awanka
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help understanding mv

I just started shell coding and I'm a bit confused on how 'mv' works can someone explain to me how it works and if i did this correctly. Thanks. echo "Enter Name of the first file:" read file1 #echo $file1 if ; then echo "Sorry, file does not exist." exit 1 ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: taiL
16 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

understanding {%/*}/

Hi Gurus: I am trying to understand the following line of code.I did enough of googling to understand but no luck.Please help me understand the follow chunk of code: X=$0 MOD=${X%/*}/env.ksh X is the current script from which I am trying to execute. Say if X=test.ksh $MOD is echoing :... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vemana
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command that takes one parameter and then searches for the passed in parameter

Hi I am looking for a unix command or a small shell script which can takes one parameter and then searches for the passed in the parameter in any or all files under say /home/dev/ Can anyone please help me on this? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankaj80
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing parameter to script, and split the parameter

i am passing input parameter 'one_two' to the script , the script output should display the result as below one_1two one_2two one_3two if then echo " Usage : <$0> <DATABASE> " exit 0 else for DB in 1 2 3 do DBname=`$DATABASE | awk -F "_" '{print $1_${DB}_$2}` done fi (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: only4satish
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the parameter value from the parameter file in perl?

hi all, i have a parameter file of following format, i want a method which can get the value of specific parameter. parameter file format: <Parameter Name="FileLocationWindows"> <Description> The directory location of the logger file. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: laxmikant.hcl
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Resolving a parameter which is passed as parameter

Hi, I have the following files. ->cat scr.sh export TMP_DIR=/home/user/folder1 export TMP_DIR_2=/home/user/folder2 while read line do cat "$line" done<file_list.dat ------------------------ -> cat file_list.dat $TMP_DIR/file1.txt $TMP_DIR_2/file2.txt --------------------------- -> cat... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: barath
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Call Script with Parameter (that has another parameter)

Hi. How do I achieve this sh /EDWH-DMT02/script/MISC/exec_sql.sh "@/EDWH-DMT02/script/others/CSM_CKC/Complete_List.sql ${file_name}" Complete_List.txt The /EDWH-DMT02/script/MISC/exec_sql.sh has two parameters and it's working fine with this sh /EDWH-DMT02/script/MISC/exec_sql.sh... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aimy
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use parameter expansion over a parameter expansion in bash.

Hello All, Could you please do help me here as I would like to perform parameter expansion in shell over a parameter expansion. Let's say I have following variable. path="/var/talend/nat/cdc" Now to get only nat I could do following. path1="${path%/*}" path1="${path1##*/}" Here... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: RavinderSingh13
8 Replies
LIST(3) 								 1								   LIST(3)

list - Assign variables as if they were an array

SYNOPSIS
array list (mixed $var1, [mixed $...]) DESCRIPTION
Like array(3), this is not really a function, but a language construct. list(3) is used to assign a list of variables in one operation. PARAMETERS
o $var1 - A variable. RETURN VALUES
Returns the assigned array. EXAMPLES
Example #1 list(3) examples <?php $info = array('coffee', 'brown', 'caffeine'); // Listing all the variables list($drink, $color, $power) = $info; echo "$drink is $color and $power makes it special. "; // Listing some of them list($drink, , $power) = $info; echo "$drink has $power. "; // Or let's skip to only the third one list( , , $power) = $info; echo "I need $power! "; // list() doesn't work with strings list($bar) = "abcde"; var_dump($bar); // NULL ?> Example #2 An example use of list(3) <table> <tr> <th>Employee name</th> <th>Salary</th> </tr> <?php $result = $pdo->query("SELECT id, name, salary FROM employees"); while (list($id, $name, $salary) = $result->fetch(PDO::FETCH_NUM)) { echo " <tr> " . " <td><a href="info.php?id=$id">$name</a></td> " . " <td>$salary</td> " . " </tr> "; } ?> </table> Example #3 Using nested list(3) <?php list($a, list($b, $c)) = array(1, array(2, 3)); var_dump($a, $b, $c); ?> int(1) int(2) int(3) Example #4 Using list(3) with array indices <?php $info = array('coffee', 'brown', 'caffeine'); list($a[0], $a[1], $a[2]) = $info; var_dump($a); ?> Gives the following output (note the order of the elements compared in which order they were written in the list(3) syntax): array(3) { [2]=> string(8) "caffeine" [1]=> string(5) "brown" [0]=> string(6) "coffee" } NOTES
Warning list(3) assigns the values starting with the right-most parameter. If you are using plain variables, you don't have to worry about this. But if you are using arrays with indices you usually expect the order of the indices in the array the same you wrote in the list(3) from left to right; which it isn't. It's assigned in the reverse order. Warning Modification of the array during list(3) execution (e.g. using list($a, $b) = $b) results in undefined behavior. Note list(3) only works on numerical arrays and assumes the numerical indices start at 0. SEE ALSO
each(3), array(3), extract(3). PHP Documentation Group LIST(3)