Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users How to set NTP server to +1 hour time? Post 302301231 by fpmurphy on Thursday 26th of March 2009 08:32:13 AM
Old 03-26-2009
tinker will not fix your problem. You most likely need to modify the timezore rules on the affected local systems.

An NTP server communicates time in terms of Greenwich Mean Time (GMT), otherwise referred to as Universal Time Coordinated (UTC). When a local system synchronizes with an NTP server, it is obtaining UTC time information. By convention, UTC is not subject to any DST rules. The local system is always responsible for converting UTC into the appropriate local time, including DST, and must be updated with new DST rules anytime they change.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

ntp server and ntp client

All, How do you set a Solaris 9 server which received ntp updates from a ntp server to broadcast them on a local subnet. I have created a /etc/inet/ntp.conf file to receive the updates from a server on network and need to make this server become like a ntp relay from the main server. Any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bubba112557
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

set up NTP

I am going to set NTP on sun solaris 8 and 9 servers. There Oracle Databases on hose server. Any Impact to Oracle DBs with NTP. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sriny
2 Replies

3. SuSE

unable to sync the time with ntp server

Hi folks, The server time is no tgetiing synched up with the NTP server. I tried ntpdate -u <ipadress> this is not working. please help out. regards, Sag. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sag71155
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sync Time/date with NTP server

Hello all, What would be the most convienint and proper way on syncing up the time and date on Solaris 8 servers with an NTP server? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sunguy222
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do i set time in 24 hour format?

Currently whenever i run date command output is shown like Mon Apr 12 05:17:21 IST 2010 When its 17:17 Here. How would i change it so that it should show. Mon Apr 12 17:17:21 IST 2010 (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
8 Replies

6. Linux

How often does Linux NTP server update its time with the external NTP server?

All here, thank you for listening. Now I've set up a Linux NTP server by adding a external windows NTP server in /etc/ntp.conf. Then I start the ntpd daemon. But how often does the Linux NTP server update its time with the external NTP server? I've looked up everywhere but found no information... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MichaelLi
1 Replies

7. Linux

Questions about the NTP time server sync

Hi folks, I have developed a Linux server for my customer. After migrating the server to my customer site, I was trying to sync its time to the NTP time servers at my customer site. Below is the ntp.conf: % vi /etc/ntp.conf # Permit time synchronization with our time source, but do not # permit... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kimurayuki
2 Replies

8. HP-UX

Setting up NTP HP-UX clients from solaris NTP server

Hi I wonder if its possible to setup NTP clients running HP-UX o.s. from a solaris 10 NTP server? FR (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to convert 24 hour time to 12 hour timing?

Hi friends, I want to convert 24 hour timing to 12 hour please help me... my data file looks like this.. 13-Nov-2011 13:27:36 15.32044 72.68502 13-Nov-2011 12:08:31 15.31291 72.69807 16-Nov-2011 01:16:54 15.30844 72.74028 15-Nov-2011 20:09:25 15.35096 ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: nex_asp
13 Replies

10. Red Hat

Ntp client sync with local over ntp server

Hi, I have two ntp servers in my cluster and I want all the nodes in my cluster to sync with either of the ntp servers or just one. Unfortunately it keep rotating the sync, between my ntp server 1, ntp server 2 and local. Is there anyway I can change the sync to avoid local? # ntpq -p ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pjeedu2247
3 Replies
TZSET(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						  TZSET(3)

NAME
tzset, tzsetwall -- initialize time conversion information LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <time.h> void tzset(void); void tzsetwall(void); DESCRIPTION
The tzset() function initializes time conversion information used by the library routine localtime(3). The environment variable TZ specifies how this is done. If TZ does not appear in the environment, the best available approximation to local wall clock time, as specified by the tzfile(5)-format file /etc/localtime is used. If TZ appears in the environment but its value is a null string, Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) is used (without leap second correction). If TZ appears in the environment and its value begins with a colon (':'), the rest of its value is used as a pathname of a tzfile(5)-format file from which to read the time conversion information. If the first character of the pathname is a slash ('/') it is used as an absolute pathname; otherwise, it is used as a pathname relative to the system time conversion information directory. If its value does not begin with a colon, it is first used as the pathname of a file (as described above) from which to read the time conver- sion information. If that file cannot be read, the value is then interpreted as a direct specification (the format is described below) of the time conversion information. If the TZ environment variable does not specify a tzfile(5)-format file and cannot be interpreted as a direct specification, UTC is used. The tzsetwall() function sets things up so that localtime(3) returns the best available approximation of local wall clock time. SPECIFICATION FORMAT
When TZ is used directly as a specification of the time conversion information, it must have the following syntax (spaces inserted for clar- ity): std offset [dst [offset] [, rule]] Where: std and dst Three or more bytes that are the designation for the standard (std) or summer (dst) time zone. Only std is required; if dst is missing, then summer time does not apply in this locale. Upper and lowercase letters are explicitly allowed. Any characters except a leading colon (':'), digits, comma (','), minus ('-'), plus ('+'), and ASCII NUL are allowed. offset Indicates the value one must add to the local time to arrive at Coordinated Universal Time. The offset has the form: hh[:mm[:ss]] The minutes (mm) and seconds (ss) are optional. The hour (hh) is required and may be a single digit. The offset follow- ing std is required. If no offset follows dst, summer time is assumed to be one hour ahead of standard time. One or more digits may be used; the value is always interpreted as a decimal number. The hour must be between zero and 24, and the minutes (and seconds) -- if present -- between zero and 59. If preceded by a ('-') the time zone shall be east of the Prime Meridian; otherwise it shall be west (which may be indicated by an optional preceding ('+')). rule Indicates when to change to and back from summer time. The rule has the form: date/time,date/time where the first date describes when the change from standard to summer time occurs and the second date describes when the change back happens. Each time field describes when, in current local time, the change to the other time is made. The format of date is one of the following: J n The Julian day n (1 <= n <= 365). Leap days are not counted; that is, in all years -- including leap years -- February 28 is day 59 and March 1 is day 60. It is impossible to explicitly refer to the occasional February 29. n The zero-based Julian day (0 <= n <= 365 ) . Leap days are counted, and it is possible to refer to February 29. M m.n.d The d'th day (0 <= d <= 6) of week n of month m of the year (1 <= n <= 5), (1 <= m <= 12), where week 5 means ``the last d day in month m'' which may occur in either the fourth or the fifth week). Week 1 is the first week in which the d'th day occurs. Day zero is Sunday. The time has the same format as offset except that no leading sign ('-') or ('+') is allowed. The default, if time is not given, is 02:00:00. If no rule is present in the TZ specification, the rules specified by the tzfile(5)-format file posixrules in the system time conversion information directory are used, with the standard and summer time offsets from UTC replaced by those spec- ified by the offset values in TZ. For compatibility with System V Release 3.1, a semicolon (';') may be used to separate the rule from the rest of the specification. FILES
/etc/localtime local time zone file /usr/share/zoneinfo time zone directory /usr/share/zoneinfo/posixrules rules for POSIX-style TZ's /usr/share/zoneinfo/Etc/GMT for UTC leap seconds If the file /usr/share/zoneinfo/UTC does not exist, UTC leap seconds are loaded from /usr/share/zoneinfo/posixrules. SEE ALSO
date(1), gettimeofday(2), ctime(3), getenv(3), time(3), tzfile(5) HISTORY
The tzset() and tzsetwall() functions first appeared in 4.4BSD. BSD
November 17, 1993 BSD