Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: what does $#,$* means
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users what does $#,$* means Post 302301089 by vidyadhar85 on Wednesday 25th of March 2009 09:14:21 PM
Old 03-25-2009
$#-no of arguments
$*-the arguments
write below in a test file
Code:
echo $#
echo $*

run that as
Code:
test 1 2 3 4

o/p will be
Code:
1 2 3 4

hope you got it.. google it you will get lot of answersSmilie

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what it means?

I have a command called cd $HDRROOT/release/tools/cfg My query is what it means? tHat is.... $HDRROOT part is not clear. If I put this command it says path not found.... I doubt that $HDRROOT is trying to mean smething I am not clear of. PL help......... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rraajjiibb
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can anyone tell me what this means..???

I found a file in my base folder width the name replace.sh and width the text string. sed -i "s/$1/$2/g" `grep -ir $1 ./*|grep -v '.svn'|cut -d: -f1` Wat does it mean and what does it do? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: samarn
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

$$ means?

hey, what's $$varname in a script? I used to see $varname only. search on google didn't help. thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: patiobarbecue
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can you tell me what this means?

Can you please tell me what this means? use grep to find from the file myfile.txt all lines containing the sequence tt but not more 2 ts? I have no idea. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rushhour
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What means %U

I can not find out what the %U means in the following command: ooffice -calc %U (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: borobudur
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

!! what is this means

I have a script like select * from table !! what those exclamation marks mean (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasuarjula
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

What does . means?

Hi, I have seen in some ksh script, that we are executing shell scripts inside other shell script as . variable.sh What is . here? Their is space between . and variabloe. And why we are not executing it like ./variable.sh? I know that . signifies current directory , but what its... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jatanig
2 Replies

8. Programming

What does it means?

#define abc '\xE8' (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamlesh33
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

What is $(NF) means?

HI what does the $(NF) means. here i want to understand the working. what i know is that in awk NF argument will tell number of column in a file i have below file alpha a beta b if i use command cat kv | paste - - | awk '{print $1," "$2 "------>"$(NF)}' i get the o/p as alpha ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptor
3 Replies
VGRINDEFS(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual						      VGRINDEFS(5)

NAME
vgrindefs -- language definition data base for vgrind(1) SYNOPSIS
vgrindefs DESCRIPTION
The vgrindefs file contains all language definitions for vgrind(1). The data base is very similar to termcap(5). FIELDS
The following table names and describes each field. Name Type Description pb str regular expression for start of a procedure bb str regular expression for start of a lexical block be str regular expression for the end of a lexical block cb str regular expression for the start of a comment ce str regular expression for the end of a comment sb str regular expression for the start of a string se str regular expression for the end of a string lb str regular expression for the start of a character constant le str regular expression for the end of a character constant tl bool present means procedures are only defined at the top lexical level oc bool present means upper and lower case are equivalent kw str a list of keywords separated by spaces EXAMPLES
The following entry, which describes the C language, is typical of a language entry. C|c::pb=^d?*?d?pd?(a?):bb={:be=}:cb=/*:ce=*/:sb=":se=e": :lb=':le=e':tl: :kw=asm auto break case char continue default do double else enum extern float for fortran goto if int long register return short sizeof static struct switch typedef union unsigned while #define #else #endif #if #ifdef #ifndef #include #undef # define else endif if ifdef ifndef include undef: Note that the first field is just the language name (and any variants of it). Thus the C language could be specified to vgrind(1) as "c" or "C". Entries may continue onto multiple lines by giving a as the last character of a line. Capabilities in vgrindefs are of two types: Boolean capabilities which indicate that the language has some particular feature and string capabilities which give a regular expression or keyword list. REGULAR EXPRESSIONS
vgrindefs uses regular expression which are very similar to those of ex(1) and lex(1). The characters `^', `$', `:' and `' are reserved characters and must be "quoted" with a preceding '' if they are to be included as normal characters. The metasymbols and their meanings are: $ the end of a line ^ the beginning of a line d a delimiter (space, tab, newline, start of line) a matches any string of symbols (like .* in lex) p matches any alphanumeric name. In a procedure definition (pb) the string that matches this symbol is used as the procedure name. () grouping | alternation ? last item is optional e preceding any string means that the string will not match an input string if the input string is preceded by an escape character (). This is typically used for languages (like C) which can include the string delimiter in a string by escaping it. Unlike other regular expressions in the system, these match words and not characters. Hence something like "(tramp|steamer)flies?" would match "tramp", "steamer", "trampflies", or "steamerflies". KEYWORD LIST
The keyword list is just a list of keywords in the language separated by spaces. If the "oc" boolean is specified, indicating that upper and lower case are equivalent, then all the keywords should be specified in lower case. FILES
/usr/share/misc/vgrindefs File containing terminal descriptions. SEE ALSO
troff(1), vgrind(1) HISTORY
The vgrindefs file format appeared in 4.2BSD. BSD
June 6, 1993 BSD