Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: OpenSolaris on VirtualBox
Operating Systems Solaris OpenSolaris on VirtualBox Post 302300747 by amult on Wednesday 25th of March 2009 01:46:02 AM
Old 03-25-2009
follow these steps
  • go to virtual box
  • Click on the network that you see on the right hand side
  • select host network interface
  • Now start the machine
  • After coming to the prompt give the following commands:
  • ifconfig <ethernet card name> plumb
  • ifconfig <ethernet card name> dhcp
This will take IP address from the internet. And will be in the same subnet as your host machine. I hope this helps. Let me know if it worksSmilie

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. High Performance Computing

Building a Solaris Cluster Express cluster in a VirtualBox on OpenSolaris

Provides a description of how to set up a Solaris Cluster Express cluster in a VirtualBox on OpenSolaris. More... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux Bot
0 Replies

2. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

Nexenta (OpenSolaris kernel) + VirtualBox [weird host crashes]

I don't suppose anyone has experienced any weird host crashes in Nexenta (host) using VirtualBox 3.0.x (in headless mode)? It seems the host stays alive (I can even type text into the box if I have a keyboard hooked up) but it drops all user connections and network connections (so i can't ssh /... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: laumars
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Questions regarding OpenSolaris, VirtualBox, and UNIX

I'm sorry for the vague title, but I am a complete newbie to UNIX and whatnot. I literally just tried to learn it 3 hours ago so please bear with me. I'll just try and start from the top. I downloaded VirtualBox and used that to open OpenSolaris. As far as I can tell, it is working fine, but... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vlay2
2 Replies

4. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

VirtualBox

I want to change my virtual box disk to immutable. When I try to do that I get the following error. Error changing medium type from Normal to Immutable. Cannot change the type of medium '/root/VirtualBox VMs/fedora13/fedora13.vmdk' because it is attached to 1 virtual machines Please help me... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ankur Goyal
2 Replies
DHCP-HELPER(8)						      System Manager's Manual						    DHCP-HELPER(8)

NAME
dhcp-helper - A DHCP/BOOTP relay agent. SYNOPSIS
dhcp-helper [OPTION]... DESCRIPTION
dhcp-helper is a DHCP and BOOTP relay agent. It listens for DHCP and BOOTP broadcasts on directly connected subnets and relays them to DHCP or BOOTP servers elsewhere. It also relays replies from the remote servers back to partially configured hosts. Once hosts are fully config- ured they can communicate directly with their servers and no longer need the services of a relay. OPTIONS
The only required option is at least one DHCP server to relay to. The simplest way to configure dhcp-helper on a router is just to give the interface to the network containing the DHCP server with a -b option. All the other interfaces present on the machine will then accept DHCP requests. On a machine which does not have an interface on the network containing the DHCP server, use a -s option instead. -s <server> Specify a DHCP or BOOTP server to relay to. The server may be given as a machine name or dotted-quad IP address. More than one server may be specified. -b <interface> Relay to a DHCP or BOOTP server using broadcast via <interface>. This eliminates the need to give a server address. <interface> is automatically added to the list of interfaces which will not receive DHCP requests. -i <interface> Specify which local interfaces to listen on for DHCP/BOOTP broadcasts. If no -i flags are given all interfaces are used except those specified by -e flags and those specified by -b flags. -e <interface> Specify which local interfaces to exclude. -p Use alternative ports (1067/1068) for the DHCP client and server. -v Report the software release version and copyright information. -d Debug mode, do not change UID, write a pid-file or go into the background. -r <file> Specify an alternate path for dhcp-helper to record its process-id in. Normally /var/run/dhcp-helper.pid. -u <username> Specify the userid to which dhcp-helper will change after startup. The daemon must normally be started as root, but it will drop root priviledges after startup by changing id to another user. Normally this user is "nobody" but that can be over-ridden with this switch. NOTES
Dhcp-helper requires a 2.2 or later Linux kernel. The "Linux packet filter" and "packet socket" facilities are not required, which is the chief advantage of this software over the ISC DHCP relay daemon. AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Simon Kelley <simon@thekelleys.org.uk>. DHCP-HELPER(8)