Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting $$# is evaluating to 1 when no value Post 302300621 by JerryHone on Tuesday 24th of March 2009 03:10:41 PM
Old 03-24-2009
"set" isn't used in Bourne/Korn shells for setting variables. It's a long time ago, but I think it's C shell syntax! On its own in Bourne/Korn, it just outputs the entire environment, which I think is what you saw.
$RESULT will be the STDOUT output from the ext_tools call. If you want the number of words returned, use something like
Code:
NWORDS=`echo $$RESULT | wc -w`

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

evaluating for a number

I apologize for the simple question but can someone please help me with how to evaluate a number? I will be reading in a file and if a number is >= 100000000, I will do something, if not, I will exit the if statement. Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hedrict
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

evaluating core files

Does anyone know any tools or how to really get something out of a core file. I can use strings and look for certain things like out of memory. I am trying to use adb but I can't make heads or tails from it. I guess it is my lack of know how with the adb/mdb debugger. anything would... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gary Dunn
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

evaluating variables

Hi I have a script in which I have several variables var1 var2 var3 var4 etc...... and field1 field2 field3 field4 etc....... The script similar to this: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bab00shka
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

evaluating params

Hi all, I ve a script like.... TBL=employee sql=`cat abhi.sql` \\ abhi.sql contains ------- select a from $TBL echo $TBL echo $sql SQL=`echo $sql` echo $SQL now i want SQL as select a from employee and as select a from $TBL How can I achieve this? Help appriciated (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abzi
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

* character evaluating too soon - Help!

I have a user defined configuration file, which could contain the following type of entries: directory_001=/a/directory/structure pattern_001=fred* pattern_002=* I have a script which reads the file generically which will loop round loop 1 genvar=”directory” iteration=”001” ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bab00shka
11 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

evaluating date +%m

how do i evaluate the value of date if ( $(date +%m) > 8 ) then FY_STAMP=FY$(echo $(($(date +%Y) + 1)) | cut -c3-4) else FY_STAMP=FY$(date +%y) fi i want this to make the FY_STAMP increment by 1 if the month is september and up. but cant seem to make it work (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsf01
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

K Shell evaluating value to a variable

Hi, I have the following requirement. V="First" R="V" echo $$R The output should be First. How do i achieve this. how do we evaluate the $R and evaluate it to $V as $R contains V and $V is First. Thanks Vijay (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaykrc
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

if condition not evaluating as expected

Hi all, Thanks in advance for your time. I have a data file like this: 1 7.465753425 2 8.980821918 1 1.717808219 1 6.550684932 0 5.432876712 I wish to write a bash script to check both columns and output a 1 if col1==1 AND col2<3. Otherwise I want to output a 0. In the above... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jem8271
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Evaluating a variable

Does anyone know of a way to force a variable name held in another variable to return the value of the first variable? Best if I give an example, that does not work: /usr/local/bin >cat mike.sh NUM1ref=16 NUM2ref=32 echo "==============" for VAR in NUM1 NUM2 do XXXX=${VAR}ref echo $XXXX... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mikejordan
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Comparing and Evaluating

Hi Guys, Good day ULF :) I hope you can help me again with my problem. I have a file which looks like this: Command was launched from partition 0. ------------------------------------------------ Executing command in server server3 Dec 18 21:31:12 AHM04 nseventmgr: EVENT-SET:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rymnd_12345
4 Replies
RESIZE(1)						      General Commands Manual							 RESIZE(1)

NAME
resize - set environment and terminal settings to current xterm window size SYNOPSIS
resize [ -u | -c ] [ -s [ row col ] ] DESCRIPTION
Resize prints a shell command for setting the appropriate environment variables to indicate the current size of xterm window from which the command is run. For this output to take effect, resize must either be evaluated as part of the command line (usually done with a shell alias or function) or else redirected to a file which can then be read in. From the C shell (usually known as /bin/csh), the following alias could be defined in the user's .cshrc: % alias rs 'set noglob; eval `resize`' After resizing the window, the user would type: % rs Users of versions of the Bourne shell (usually known as /bin/sh) that don't have command functions will need to send the output to a tempo- rary file and then read it back in with the "." command: $ resize > /tmp/out $ . /tmp/out Resize determines the user's current shell by first checking if $SHELL is set, and using that. Otherwise it determines the user's shell by looking in the password file. Generally Bourne-shell variants (including ksh) do not modify $SHELL, so it is possible for resize to be confused if one runs resize from a Bourne shell spawned from a C shell. OPTIONS
The following options may be used with resize: -u This option indicates that Bourne shell commands should be generated even if the user's current shell isn't /bin/sh. -c This option indicates that C shell commands should be generated even if the user's current shell isn't /bin/csh. -s [rows columns] This option indicates that Sun console escape sequences will be used instead of the VT100-style xterm escape codes. If rows and columns are given, resize will ask the xterm to resize itself. However, the window manager may choose to disallow the change. Note that the Sun console escape sequences are recognized by XFree86 xterm and by dtterm. The resize program may be installed as sunsize, which causes makes it assume the -s option. The rows and columns arguments must appear last; though they are normally associated with the -s option, they are parsed separately. FILES
/etc/termcap for the base termcap entry to modify. ~/.cshrc user's alias for the command. ENVIRONMENT
TERM set to "xterm" if not already set. TERMCAP variable set on systems using termcap COLUMNS, LINES variables set on systems using terminfo SEE ALSO
csh(1), tset(1), xterm(1) AUTHORS
Mark Vandevoorde (MIT-Athena), Edward Moy (Berkeley) Copyright (c) 1984, 1985 by X Consortium See X(7) for a complete copyright notice. X Window System RESIZE(1)