Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory Partition 1 swap not mounting ? Post 302300535 by jack2 on Tuesday 24th of March 2009 10:42:39 AM
Old 03-24-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyFullerMalv
A dedicated swap partition does not get mounted, it is just used and is a raw filesytem.
Exactly.
You are right.
Code:
[admin@blechbuechse root]$ swapoff /dev/discs/disc0/part1
[admin@blechbuechse root]$ free
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:         13964      13448        516          0       1548       7336
-/+ buffers/cache:       4564       9400
Swap:            0          0          0
[admin@blechbuechse root]$ swapon /dev/discs/disc0/part1
[admin@blechbuechse root]$ free
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:         13964      13696        268          0       1548       7336
-/+ buffers/cache:       4812       9152

Swap:       500432          0     500432

Darius

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Swap Partition Space

first of all, sorry about my english...I´m a spanish newbie to this marvelous OS and i have just a couple of doubts...u know? :-) 1) how big should my swap partition be if i installed debian 2.2r3 or FreeBSD 4.x on a AMD k7 1400Mhz with 512Mb of Random Access Memory? i heard that those OS... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: I[X]ION
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux Swap Partition

How big do I set the swap partition when i'm setting up my hard drive to install RedHat. (Using Partition Magic) thanks! primal (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: primal
2 Replies

3. Linux

swap partition?

What does a swap partition do exactly? I was messing arround with a linux machine at my school and i deleted the swap partition using fdisk and then rebooted the machine and it worked fine and wrote a swap partition back in...lol. Is it a nessary part of the OS to use that partition? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: byblyk
7 Replies

4. Linux

How to give UUID to a swap partition?

Dear Folks Is there anyway to give a UUID to a swap partition? mkswap on CentOS 5 (util-linux-2.13-0.45.el5_1.1) appears to override this option ;-( # swapoff -a # mkswap -L swap1 /dev/sda3 Setting up swapspace version 1, size = 4293591 kB LABEL=swap1, no uuid And there's no... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Santi
3 Replies

5. Solaris

swap partition showing mounted in df -h

Dear All Anyone can help me what is the problem of swap partition? swap partition is showing mounted in df -h command output. Regards prakash (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pshelke
1 Replies

6. AIX

Mounting Tape Drive from different partition

Dear all, I have a AIX server with logical 3 partitions and the server is connecting a tape drive. the first partition can successfully making a system backup to the tape but how can i fail to mount the tape to second and thrid partition. would anyone can help me to deal with it? what command... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rickhlwong
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Size of swap partition during installation

Greetings. I've been into computers since the '80s, but this is my first attempt at Linux. I'm installing Debian Lenny on a PIII 733 with 10GB hard drive and 512MB Ram. I intend to use the machine primarily as a development server, with things like mySQL, Apache, php, etc. I don't really want... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: fguy
22 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mounting remote partition

Hello when I examined the partition information of one of our servers I saw the following: 10.20.5.2:/ha0/critical Fstab has a similar entry. Seems that the server is accessing a partition on a remote machine. What else is required to setup a partition that accesses a remote machine... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Mounting UFS partition on multiple servers?

Hi, I have an application on a SAN partition presented to one server only. If I share this SAN partition with a second server as well, will that cause data corruption (the partition is formatted using ufs) ? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mack1982
5 Replies

10. Solaris

Mounting partition

Dear All, I am new to solaris os,actually i am working as a database administrator for a company. Few days back when i was trying to start my solaris v480 server after a power failure i found /oracle partition fail to mount. root@npmsun # df -kh Filesystem size used avail... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: monojcool
1 Replies
USERMOUNT(1)						      General Commands Manual						      USERMOUNT(1)

NAME
usermount - A graphical tool to mount, unmount and format filesystems. SYNOPSIS
usermount [ options ] userformat [ device ] [ options ] DESCRIPTION
usermount is a graphical tool to allow users to easily manage removable media, such as floppy disks or zip disks. When the tool starts up, it scans /etc/fstab for all filesystems that have been configured to allow users to mount and unmount them. The filesystem can be mounted or unmounted by pressing the toggle button labeled Mount. Also, if the user has the appropriate permissions for the device, the Format button will be active. This allows the user to format disks using fdformat and create a new filesystem of the type listed (using mkfs with the appropriate option). Naturally, the user will be prompted for confirmation before actually destroying data on the device. Note that if a device is already mounted, the format button is inactive for all entries that share the same device. When run as root, usermount displays all of the entries in /etc/fstab rather than just the ones with the user option. Invoking userformat device allows formatting device, as if by selecting device in the userformat window, and by clicking the Format button. OPTIONS
This program has no command line options of it's own, but it does take the standard X program options like -display and such. See the X(1) man page for some of the common options. FILES
/etc/fstab The system file describing the mountable filesystems. SEE ALSO
mount(8), fdformat(8), mkfs(8), fstab(5) X(1) BUGS
Mount entries with a filesystem type of iso9660 are outright considered CD-ROMs and the format button is always disabled. Mount entries for swap files or partitions are also ignored. A nice feature might be to allow root to turn swap on and off for swap parti- tions. AUTHOR
Otto Hammersmith <otto@redhat.com> Red Hat March 13 2007 USERMOUNT(1)