Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Do You Use Your Mobile Phone to Access the Internet? Post 302300489 by Neo on Tuesday 24th of March 2009 09:16:02 AM
Old 03-24-2009
Thanks for clarifying (Whewww.. I feel better now Smilie )

For me, I don't have "religion" about phones and computers. I easily use the Internet from my (old but trusty) Nokia E61 and I can call and talk to friends using Skype at my desk.

I read news, check server status, read email, use GoogleMaps and set GPS waypoints, downloading new maps from the Internet. I sometimes reply to forum messages, especially admin messages, using my mobile, I search for prices when shopping using my mobile (recently a golf bag from Ping), and much more.

For me, mobile phone GPRS (in the future 3G) is almost as important as a desktop computer or notebook. When in my favorite riverside restaurant eating I use their free wireless LAN instead of using my GPRS minutes to save money :-)

Soon I will install PuTTY on my mobile so I can ssh into the server and tweak something when on the road...... in other words, for my Internet mobile access is not a luxury, it is critical :-)

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to forward email to mobile phone?

could anyone tell me how to forward ur email to mobile by writing a unix script? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gusla
4 Replies

2. Solaris

Internet access on Solaris 10 through TATA Indicom Wireless Phone

Hi, I am trying to configure Solaris 10 for Internet Connection. I have a PC (Celeron 1.7Ghz, 512 MB RAM, Gigabyte 8LD Motherboard). The Wireless Telephone Specs are: TATA Indicom Walky. Further product details are as follows ( I did not understand most of what it says. I have given... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: priteshugrankar
0 Replies

3. IP Networking

Internet access on Solaris 10 through TATA Indicom Wireless Phone

Hi, I am trying to configure Solaris 10 for Internet Connection. I have a PC (Celeron 1.7Ghz, 512 MB RAM, Gigabyte 8LD Motherboard). The Wireless Telephone Specs are: TATA Indicom Walky. Further product details are as follows ( I did not understand most of what it says. I have given it... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: priteshugrankar
0 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

What Company Makes Your Mobile Phone?

Without getting into the exact models (which change all the time anyway), who makes your (primary) mobile phone? (35 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
35 Replies

5. IP Networking

I can't get the mobile Internet connection using a dongle.

Hi My computer is a 64 bit one and it has AMD processor. I installed Fedora Core and tried in vain to configure the dongle given by 3. I mean to get mobile internet to my desktop computer. I bought the dongle from 3. I know the company 3 is in many European countries. I downloaded... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Toxic
0 Replies
gnokiid(8)							      gnokii								gnokiid(8)

NAME
gnokiid - create a virtual modem for old Nokia mobile phones SYNOPSIS
gnokiid gnokiid [--help|--version|--debug] DESCRIPTION
gnokiid is a tool from the gnokii tool suite used to create a virtual modem device with a Nokia portable telephone. The virtual modem device is usually accessed via a symbolic link called /dev/gnokii (created automatically by mgnokiidev(8)). Please note that you don't need a virtual modem when you have real modem accepting AT Hayes commands (most of the modern phones). gnokiid was written for the phones that supported data transfer but didn't expose AT layer (namely Nokia 6110, 6130, 6150, 5110, 5130). After gnokiid has created the virtual modem, it can be accessed like any other Hayes-compatible modem by such programs as the terminal pro- gram minicom(1) or the PPP daemon pppd(8) to make standard data connections to remote computers. The full range of portable telephone functions (SMS messaging, phone book, operator logos, etc.) are accessed using the command-line pro- gram gnokii(1) or the graphical interface program xgnokii(1x). gnokii is a Linux/Unix tool suite and (eventually) modem/fax driver for Nokia mobile phones, released under the GPL. gnokii supports most phones from the 3810/8110 and 5110/6110 series, details including bugs specific to each series appear in the files Docs/README-3810 and Docs/README-6110 respectively. OPTIONS
If called without any options, gnokiid will set up a virtual modem device using the settings in gnokii(1) config file (if it exists). Oth- erwise, --help print out a short usage message --version print out version, copyright, phone, and serial device info --debug uses STDIN/STDOUT for a virtual modem DIAGNOSTICS
Various error messages are printed to STDERR. BUGS
Hmmm... AUTHOR
Hugh Blemings <hugh at blemings dot org> and Pavel Janik ml. <Pavel.Janik at suse dot cz> are the authors of the gnokii tool suite. This manual page was written by Erik Rossen <rossen at freesurf dot ch>. See also Docs/CREDITS from the gnokii sources. COPYING
This program is distributed under the GNU Public License Version 2, or (at your option) any later version.. SEE ALSO
gnokii, xgnokii, mgnokiidev Erik Rossen May 27, 2001 gnokiid(8)