Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Query Regarding Regular Expression Post 302300474 by pludi on Tuesday 24th of March 2009 08:43:20 AM
Old 03-24-2009
It means "match any character, zero or more times, and be greedy about it". And for your text it will match "apple the apple"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expression + Aritmetical Expression

Is it possible to combine a regular expression with a aritmetical expression? For example, taking a 8-numbers caracter sequece and casting each output of a grep, comparing to a constant. THX! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Z0mby
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expression query in AWK

I have a varable(var1) in a AWK script that contain data in the following format - I need to extract timestamp,priority and log message.I can extract these by using split function but i don't want to use it, since i want to extract it in one go. I have some difficulties in doing it using... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: omprasad
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expression query in AWK

Hi, I have a string like this-->"After Executing service For 10 Request" in this string i need to extract "10". the contents of the string is variable and "10" appears before "For" and after "Request" i.e, in this format "For x Request" I need to extract the value of x. How to do this in AWK?... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: omprasad
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

regular expression

Hello All! I have a file thats something like this: ( a grep output) /path/of/file/filename.abc.xyz.pqr:! Commented text /path/of/file/filename.abc.xyz: ! More Commented text I need to grep out those line from this file whose filename has ".abc" in the filename (anywhere in filename)... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ag79
3 Replies

5. Linux

Regular expression to extract "y" from "abc/x.y.z" .... i need regular expression

Regular expression to extract "y" from "abc/x.y.z" (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rag84dec
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Integer expression expected: with regular expression

CA_RELEASE has a value of 6. I need to check if that this is a numeric value. if not error. source $CA_VERSION_DATA if * ] then echo "CA_RELESE $CA_RELEASE is invalid" exit -1 fi + source /etc/ncgl/ca_version_data ++ CA_PRODUCT_ID=samxts ++ CA_RELEASE=6 ++ CA_WEEK_NO=7 ++... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ketkee1985
3 Replies

7. Programming

Perl: How to read from a file, do regular expression and then replace the found regular expression

Hi all, How am I read a file, find the match regular expression and overwrite to the same files. open DESTINATION_FILE, "<tmptravl.dat" or die "tmptravl.dat"; open NEW_DESTINATION_FILE, ">new_tmptravl.dat" or die "new_tmptravl.dat"; while (<DESTINATION_FILE>) { # print... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jessy83
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

?* regular expression in sh

Hi, what ?* means in sh script? I know that ? is equivalent to at least one appearance of a preceding expression and * is equivalent to at least one appearance of preceding expression but I have difficulties with a way in which I should interpret following pattern: -?* I would expect that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DavidMax
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sed: -e expression #1, char 0: no previous regular expression

Hello All, I'm trying to extract the lines between two consecutive elements of an array from a file. My array looks like: problem_arr=(PRS111 PRS213 PRS234) j=0 while } ] do k=`expr $j + 1` sed -n "/${problem_arr}/,/${problem_arr}/p" problemid.txt ---some operation goes... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: InduInduIndu
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with regular expression

Hi All We have a file with statements like below SELECT BLAH,BLAH,... FROM TABSCHEMA1.TABSCHEMA1 WITH UR SELECT BLAH,BLAH,... FROM TABSCHEMA2.TABSCHEMA2 WHERE BLAH=1 WITH UR . . . and so on We want the word Anything after FROM<SPACE> and stop when the word Encounter Space.... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mallak
11 Replies
xpc_events(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 					     xpc_events(3)

NAME
xpc_events -- launch-on-demand for high-level events SYNOPSIS
#include <xpc/xpc.h> void xpc_set_event_stream_handler(const char *name, dispatch_queue_t targetq, xpc_handler_t handler); DESCRIPTION
XPC provides a mechanism by which launchd jobs may launch on-demand for certain higher-level events, such as IOKit events or BSD Notifica- tions. These events are delivered to the job through a handler that is set early in its execution. The period between when the event is delivered to the job and when a handler is set is race-free, and any pending events will be queued up for consumption by the job. An event is consumed when it is delivered to the handler. EVENT STREAMS
Providers of events are known as streams. Two example event streams are the IOKit stream and the BSD Notifications stream. Streams are denoted by a reverse-DNS naming scheme. For the aforementioned examples, the stream names are "com.apple.iokit.matching" and "com.apple.noti- fyd.matching", respectively. These are currently the only two supported event streams. EVENT NAMES
A launchd job may be interested in multiple events from different event streams. Each of these events has a name provided by the job in the launchd.plist(5). The occurrence of any of these events will launch the job on-demand if it is not already running. PLIST SCHEMA
Events are specified through the launchd.plist(5) with the LaunchEvents key. The value for this key is a dictionary. Each value of this dic- tionary is itself a dictionary corresponding to an event stream. The values of this inner dictionary are events that may cause the job to be launched on-demand. <key>LaunchEvents</key> <dict> <key>com.apple.iokit.matching</key> <dict> <key>com.apple.device-attach</key> <dict> <key>idProduct</key> <integer>2794</integer> <key>idVendor</key> <integer>725</integer> <key>IOProviderClass</key> <string>IOUSBDevice</string> <key>IOMatchLaunchStream</key> <true/> </dict> </dict> <key>com.apple.notifyd.matching</key> <dict> <key>com.apple.interesting-notification</key> <dict> <key>Notification</key> <string>com.apple.interesting-notification</string> </dict> </dict> </dict> The above specifies that the job will be launched when a node matching the given matching dictionary appears in the IORegistry or when a notification named "com.apple.interesting-notification" is posted using notify_post(3). NOTE: The IOMatchLaunchStream key is required to be present and be a Boolean set to true for use with XPC Events. It will be filtered out of the rest of the dictionary when given to IOKit to match. The reasons for this are historical and not applicable to other event streams. Each event stream has a different plist schema. EVENT CONSUMPTION
Events are consumed with the xpc_set_event_stream_handler() API. The stream argument specifies from which event stream the given handler will receive events. The targetq parameter specifies on which queue the handler will be synchronized. The handler will only ever receive dictio- naries. Each dictionary is guaranteed to have the XPC_EVENT_KEY_NAME key set. The value for this key is the string that was given as the name for the event in the launchd.plist(5). So if the IOKit event in the above example was received, the value of this key would be "com.apple.device-attach". In addition to the standard payload, events from the IOKit stream also have the "IOMatchLaunchServiceID" key set to a uint64_t which speci- fies the unique IORegistry ID of the node which matched the given dictionary as obtained by IORegistryEntryGetRegistryEntryID(). This value may be given to IORegistryEntryIDMatching() to obtain the registry entry which caused the event to fire. BSD Notfication events have no additional payload. xpc_set_event_stream_handler("com.apple.iokit.matching", q, ^(xpc_object_t event) { const char *name = xpc_dictionary_get_string(event, XPC_EVENT_KEY_NAME); uint64_t id = xpc_dictionary_get_uint64(event, "IOMatchLaunchServiceID"); CFMutableDictionaryRef matching = IORegistryEntryIDMatching(id); // Pass to IOServiceGetMatchingServices() or IOServiceAddNotification(). }); IMPORTANT: xpc_set_event_stream_handler() is NOT shareable. Two different subsystems in a process cannot safely both register for events from the same event stream. Therefore, libraries and frameworks should NEVER call this API. SEE ALSO
xpc_object(3), xpc_dictionary_create(3), xpc_array_create(3), notify(3) Darwin 1 July, 2011 Darwin