Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting $$# is evaluating to 1 when no value Post 302300444 by jake_ryan on Tuesday 24th of March 2009 07:29:47 AM
Old 03-24-2009
Hi JerryHone, thanks for the reply.

I thought by doing `set $$RESULT`, I would get the number of words returned by ext_tools.sh by using $$#.. Am I wrong?

The redirection to tMp was because when ext_tools.sh returned nothing, `set $$RESULT` is printing out all the env variables onto the console which I wanted to avoid.

Franklin52, thanks for editing with codetags. I 'll remember that next time...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

evaluating for a number

I apologize for the simple question but can someone please help me with how to evaluate a number? I will be reading in a file and if a number is >= 100000000, I will do something, if not, I will exit the if statement. Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hedrict
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

evaluating core files

Does anyone know any tools or how to really get something out of a core file. I can use strings and look for certain things like out of memory. I am trying to use adb but I can't make heads or tails from it. I guess it is my lack of know how with the adb/mdb debugger. anything would... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gary Dunn
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

evaluating variables

Hi I have a script in which I have several variables var1 var2 var3 var4 etc...... and field1 field2 field3 field4 etc....... The script similar to this: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bab00shka
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

evaluating params

Hi all, I ve a script like.... TBL=employee sql=`cat abhi.sql` \\ abhi.sql contains ------- select a from $TBL echo $TBL echo $sql SQL=`echo $sql` echo $SQL now i want SQL as select a from employee and as select a from $TBL How can I achieve this? Help appriciated (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abzi
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

* character evaluating too soon - Help!

I have a user defined configuration file, which could contain the following type of entries: directory_001=/a/directory/structure pattern_001=fred* pattern_002=* I have a script which reads the file generically which will loop round loop 1 genvar=”directory” iteration=”001” ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bab00shka
11 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

evaluating date +%m

how do i evaluate the value of date if ( $(date +%m) > 8 ) then FY_STAMP=FY$(echo $(($(date +%Y) + 1)) | cut -c3-4) else FY_STAMP=FY$(date +%y) fi i want this to make the FY_STAMP increment by 1 if the month is september and up. but cant seem to make it work (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsf01
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

K Shell evaluating value to a variable

Hi, I have the following requirement. V="First" R="V" echo $$R The output should be First. How do i achieve this. how do we evaluate the $R and evaluate it to $V as $R contains V and $V is First. Thanks Vijay (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaykrc
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

if condition not evaluating as expected

Hi all, Thanks in advance for your time. I have a data file like this: 1 7.465753425 2 8.980821918 1 1.717808219 1 6.550684932 0 5.432876712 I wish to write a bash script to check both columns and output a 1 if col1==1 AND col2<3. Otherwise I want to output a 0. In the above... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jem8271
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Evaluating a variable

Does anyone know of a way to force a variable name held in another variable to return the value of the first variable? Best if I give an example, that does not work: /usr/local/bin >cat mike.sh NUM1ref=16 NUM2ref=32 echo "==============" for VAR in NUM1 NUM2 do XXXX=${VAR}ref echo $XXXX... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mikejordan
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Comparing and Evaluating

Hi Guys, Good day ULF :) I hope you can help me again with my problem. I have a file which looks like this: Command was launched from partition 0. ------------------------------------------------ Executing command in server server3 Dec 18 21:31:12 AHM04 nseventmgr: EVENT-SET:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rymnd_12345
4 Replies
stopping(7)						 Miscellaneous Information Manual					       stopping(7)

NAME
stopping - event signalling that a job is stopping SYNOPSIS
stopping JOB=JOB INSTANCE=INSTANCE RESULT=RESULT [PROCESS=PROCESS] [EXIT_STATUS=STATUS] [EXIT_SIGNAL=SIGNAL] [ENV]... DESCRIPTION
The stopping event is generated by the Upstart init(8) daemon when an instance of a job begins stopping. The JOB environment variable con- tains the job name, and the INSTANCE environment variable contains the instance name which will be empty for single-instance jobs. If the job is stopping normally, the RESULT environment variable will be ok, otherwise if the job is stopping because it has failed it will be failed. When the job has failed, the process that failed will be given in the PROCESS environment variable. This may be pre-start, post-start, main, pre-stop or post-stop; it may also be the special value respawn to indicate that the job is stopping because it hit the respawn limit. Finally in the case of a failed job, one of either EXIT_STATUS or EXIT_SIGNAL may be given to indicate the cause of the stop. Either EXIT_STATUS will contain the exit status code of the process, or EXIT_SIGNAL will contain the name of the signal that the process received. The normal exit job configuration stanza can be used to prevent particular exit status values or signals resulting in a failed job, see init(5) for more information. If neither EXIT_STATUS or EXIT_SIGNAL is given for a failed process, it is because the process failed to spawn (for example, file not found). See the system logs for the error. init(8) will wait for all services started by this event to be running, all tasks started by this event to have finished and all jobs stopped by this event to be stopped before allowing the job to continue stopping. This allows jobs to depend on other jobs, safely stopping themselves before their dependency goes away. This event is typically combined with the started(7) event by services. Job configuration files may use the export stanza to export environment variables from their own environment into the stopping event. See init(5) for more details. EXAMPLE
A service that wishes to depend on another service might use: start on started apache stop on stopping apache A task that must be run before another task or service is stopped might use: start on stopping postgresql RESULT=ok SEE ALSO
starting(7) started(7) stopped(7) init(5) Upstart 2009-07-09 stopping(7)