Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux SuSE Setting up Suse 11.0 as server Post 302300318 by woofie on Monday 23rd of March 2009 09:29:35 PM
Old 03-23-2009
Setting up Suse 11.0 as server

Been awhile since I've been playing with Linux and I'm just starting to gte back into the swing of things again Smilie

I'm setting up a OpenSUSE 11.0 computer at home (small network) and want to configure it as a server for Windows computers to be able to log onto the domain. From what I have read can someone confirm that Samba with LDAP is the best way to do this?

Also I've never setup a Linux as a mail server. Was wondering if I might be able to get some programs which are good mail server that people have setup and used. Prefer easy setup if I can Smilie

I know these questions are fairly simple but it's been awhile since I've played with Linux.

Thanks in advance for your help
Smilie

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

suse server 8.0 on hp server problem

machine: Hp Proliant DL145/Opterom 2.4GH 2*72 GBB SCSi hdd, suse: suse linux Enterprose server 8.0 for Amd 64 problem: 1. can not boot properly. have to use installation disk to boot it: enter installation and choose "boot from existing installation" and this is the only option. ( just... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: murataht
1 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Problem setting up raw partitions on SUSE v8.0 using LVM on Oracle 8.1.7.URGENT!!!!!!

Hi all! Working on Oracle v8.1.7.0.0 with OS  as Suse v8.0 Linux. I had created LVM,linked raw devices to LVM as below: # for binding raw devices raw /dev/raw/raw1 /dev/oracle/sam_raw_system_251m raw /dev/raw/raw2 /dev/oracle/sam_raw_users_26m raw /dev/raw/raw3... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amitstora
2 Replies

3. SuSE

LKCD for suse linux enterprise server 8

Hi, I have installed LKCD using lkcdutils pakage through Yast install and remove applications. I have used enterprise server cd for installation. But I did not found any service of lkcd like /etc/init.d/boo.lkcd there. if we dont have this servers lkcd dump can not be saved at dump... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bryanabhay
0 Replies

4. SuSE

Extend root partition on SuSE enterprise Server 11.1

Hello Folks, Greetings, I am in need of extending the / partition for one of my SuSE linux Enterprise Server 11.1 which is running on VMware. I will be able to extend the virtual lun from the vshphere console but not sure how to extend the root partition from the OS end. I am not sure if I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: PSP
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with printing to a print server from Suse 11

All; I really have 2 questions 1) How can I tell what filter file is attached to a printer ? 2) Is ther an easy way to script a socket (port9100) command to send print files to the print server? Thank you (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hughie
0 Replies

6. SuSE

Hot-add memory to SuSE / VMware virtual server

Hi, Here is the issue. Some more memory has been added from vCenter to the virtual machine. From the virtual machine running SuSE 11 SP3. # modprobe acpiphp # modprobe acpi-memhotplug # grep -v online /sys/devices/system/memory/*/state # It looks like there is no offline memory, but free... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aixlover
1 Replies

7. SuSE

How to find Server model in Suse?

How to find Server model in Suse? dmidecode is not working here server gives output for hwinfo, but not listing lshw,lshal etc. Server is remotely located, so I cant find it physically. dmesg command is also not helping with boot logs. I am not a Suse admin, request fast reply. Thanks Shyam (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shyam2j
6 Replies

8. SuSE

Suse enterprise server installation help

hello All, good day to you. could you tell me is there any way I can download SUSE lunux enterprise server trail version ? I want to install sap application over it. thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Leaner_963
1 Replies
PPPOE-SNIFF(8)						      System Manager's Manual						    PPPOE-SNIFF(8)

NAME
pppoe-sniff - examine network for non-standard PPPoE frames SYNOPSIS
pppoe-sniff [options] DESCRIPTION
pppoe-sniff listens for likely-looking PPPoE PADR and session frames and deduces extra options required for pppoe(8) to work. Some DSL providers seem to use non-standard frame types for PPPoE frames, and/or require a certain value in the Service-Name field. It is often easier to sniff those values from a machine which can successfully connect rather than try to pry them out of the DSL provider. To use pppoe-sniff, you need two computers, a DSL modem and an Ethernet hub (not an Ethernet switch.) If the DSL modem normally connects directly to your computer's Ethernet card, connect it to the "uplink" port on the Ethernet hub. Plug two computers into normal ports on the hub. On one computer, run whatever software the DSL provider gave you on whatever operating system the DSL provider supports. On the other computer, run Linux and log in as root. On the Linux machine, put the Ethernet interface into promiscuous mode and start pppoe-sniff. If the ethernet interface is eth0, for exam- ple, type these commands: ifconfig eth0 promisc pppoe-sniff -I eth0 On the other machine, start your DSL connection as usual. After a short time, pppoe-sniff should print recommendations for the value of PPPOE_EXTRA. Set this value in /etc/ppp/pppoe.conf. If pppoe-sniff indicates that something special is required in PPPOE_EXTRA, please e- mail this to pppoe@roaringpenguin.com along with the name of your ISP and the manufacturer and model number of your DSL modem. This infor- mation will be collated and provided on the PPPoE web page for users who do not have two computers. After pppoe-sniff finishes (or you stop it if it seems hung), remember to turn off promiscuous mode: ifconfig eth0 -promisc OPTIONS
-I interface The -I option specifies the Ethernet interface to use. Under Linux, it is typically eth0 or eth1. The interface should be "up" and in promiscuous mode before you start pppoe-sniff. -V The -V option causes pppoe-sniff to print its version number and exit. BUGS
pppoe-sniff only works on Linux. AUTHORS
pppoe-sniff was written by David F. Skoll <dfs@roaringpenguin.com>. The pppoe home page is http://www.roaringpenguin.com/pppoe/. SEE ALSO
pppoe-start(8), pppoe-stop(8), pppoe-connect(8), pppd(8), pppoe.conf(5), pppoe(8), pppoe-setup(8), pppoe-status(8), pppoe-server(8), pppoe- relay(8) 4th Berkeley Distribution 3 July 2000 PPPOE-SNIFF(8)