Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users find application that are scanning the network Post 302300190 by sysgate on Monday 23rd of March 2009 12:37:22 PM
Old 03-23-2009
When it comes to network, I always think of "netstat".
Example from my workstation :
Code:
[root@work:~] $ netstat -na | grep -i estab
Active Internet connections (servers and established)
tcp        0      0 10.192.6.666 :) :52237       64.12.104.181:5190      ESTABLISHED

I see that I have connection to this -> 64.12.104.181 IP address.
Then I would do :
Code:
root:~ # lsof |grep 64.12.104.18

Output information may be incomplete.
pidgin     3839  sysgate   17u     IPv4     215250      0t0        TCP my.host.com:52237->64.12.104.181:aol (ESTABLISHED)

I see the user, I see the PID. I see that this is my IM client also :)
If you are suspicious about running network scanners, look at the connected users, their history files, and log files as well.

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Red Hat

application to be run on machines connected in same network

I have a set up of 5 machines which are connected in same network. Now i want to run a small application so that those machines are not ideal. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradeepreddy
0 Replies

2. Solaris

Can I Install the Gani Network Driver Using the Application that Came on the CD?

When I boot up the Solaris 10 5/09 install CD and select 'Solaris' from the GRUB menu that comes up, a menu loads. Option 5 is 'Apply Driver Updates'. Can I install the Gani driver using that? I tried using the tar file (the way it came) that I wrote to a floppy but when I asked it to look at the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bradj47
8 Replies

3. IP Networking

Unable to access web application hosted in same network

All, I have various web applications hosted in a client network. These web apps are accessed through a Apache web server. We have deployed a new web application server and it is not serviced through the Apache web server. So i am unable to access this applications. But i am able to access... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vel4ever
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to find remote IP addresses that applications are scanning them?

Hi, I have a web server running on Debian 6.0.4 in a computer outside my university, but the web URL is blocked by my university, the security group of the university said because it was scanning computers inside university. I could not find any applications in my web server are doing... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hce
3 Replies
ZGREP(1)                                                      General Commands Manual                                                     ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)