Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unix study help
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Unix study help Post 302300101 by Whiteboard on Monday 23rd of March 2009 08:26:01 AM
Old 03-23-2009
seems homework and its against the rules....

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I want to start study Unix!

hello .. I am college student and a new guy to unix. I have a simple question: what does "unix" stand for ,or just a meaningless name ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nanuo
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

i want to study unix,but it is very dificult.

14 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zbweh5280
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help for unix study

hi I am vijay how r the unix gurus? I want to install unix for our sites.So pls tell me abt unix installation user guide & also all the unix commands.Pls help me.I am waiting for yr reply. bye..........vijay :D (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vi77_surat
2 Replies

4. Programming

Good Unix Online Study Material

HI Friends, I wanted to start this thread inorder to keep all the Unix starters to easily find useful material through this thread...I request you all to provide with the URL address of any gud material you know... thanks and regards... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahul3894singh
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Any study material for begineers for UNIX please??

Any study material for begineers for UNIX please?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: niranjany
2 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

UNIX Admin (Papers and study material)

Hi, I want to prepare and then appear for Unix admin certification. Please guide me for the study material and Exams that are required to be taken for UNIX certifcation. Thanks in advance. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: raman1605
11 Replies

7. Programming

UNIX- -Case study - Library management.

Hi.. I am a new joinee to this foram.I need to submit a case study in UNIX .Please help me to submit the case study by giving your valuable ideas.It will be very helpful for me. Topic: Unix File Management A university wants to computerize its Library operations because of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: viji_jeya
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX Study Material

Hi , Can anyone suggest me any UNIX Study material and UNIX Certification specific for TELECOM-DOMAIN. Best Regards, Om Prakash. (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: omprakash1986
14 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

New to UNIX like 2 weeks of study only

why does this not work, confused #!/bin/ksh x="x" echo "Enter a name: " read NAME while do echo $NAME echo if then echo ":" else echo $NAME fi echo echo "Enter a Name: " read NAME (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gmoney93079
8 Replies

10. SCO

Study UNIX Kernel

Hi all, I hope you are fine, I'd like study Os I tried a book like Silberschatz it's a good book but like other books it talks about the concepts abstractly and that's due to it try to encompass many concepts from many operating systems in GENERAL. i am not too much comfortable from these... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abdo_8008
20 Replies
environ(7)						 Miscellaneous Information Manual						environ(7)

Name
       environ - user environment

Syntax
       extern char **environ;

Description
       An  array  of  strings,	called	the  environment,  is made available by when a process begins.	By convention, these strings have the form
       ``name=value''.	The following names are used by various commands:

PATH    The sequence of directory prefixes that and apply in searching for a file known by an incomplete path name.  The prefixes are sepa-
	       rated by a colon (:).  The command sets

HOME    A user's login directory, set by from the password file

TERM    The  kind  of terminal for which output is to be prepared.  This information is used by commands, such as or which may exploit spe-
	       cial terminal capabilities.  See in for a list of terminal types.

SHELL   The file name of the user's login shell.

TERMCAP The string describing the terminal in TERM or the name of the termcap file.  For further information, see and

EXINIT  A startup list of commands read by and

USER    The login name of the user.

PRINTER The name of the default printer to be used by and

Further names may be placed in the environment by the command and ``name=value'' arguments in or by the command if you  use  Arguments  can
       also be placed in the environment at the point of an It is unwise to conflict with certain variables that are frequently exported by files:
       and

See Also
       csh(1), ex(1), login(1), sh(1), execve(2), system(3), termcap(3x), passwd(5), termcap(5)

environ(7)