Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat /var/log/messages and secure not updating Post 302300100 by indiana_tas on Monday 23rd of March 2009 08:23:43 AM
Old 03-23-2009
Makes sense. Glad things worked out.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

/var/log/maillog isn't updating. Postfix related

can someone please help me figure how i can get maillog to start updating again? it just all of a sudden stopped. and postfix isn't writing to it anymore. I'm running a Ubuntu box 8.04 thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
2 Replies

2. Solaris

diff b/w /var/log/syslog and /var/adm/messages

hi sirs can u tell the difference between /var/log/syslogs and /var/adm/messages in my working place i am having two servers. in one servers messages file is empty and syslog file is going on increasing.. and in another servers message file is going on increasing but syslog file is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tv.praveenkumar
2 Replies

3. Solaris

/var/adm/messages not updating

This is Solaris 10. I have devices sending syslog, but the /var/adm/messages file is not updating anymore. Here's what I did when it stopped. I wanted to change the location of where the messages are being logged to a SAN drive. 1) Made a backup of syslog.conf 2) Edited the file to change... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: mmletzko
12 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

/var/adm/messages vs /var/log/messages

The /var/adm/messages in Solaris seem to log more system messages/errors compared to /var/log/messages in Linux. I checked the log level in Linux and they seem OK. Is there any other log file that contains the messages or is it just that Linux doesn't log great many things? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gomes1333
2 Replies

5. Linux

Disable connection logging for a specfic service (/var/log/secure)

Hello, is there a way to disable connection logging for a specific service? Or eventually to disable /var/log/secure in general? Closed. Double post (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: TehOne
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Disable connection logging for a specfic service (/var/log/secure)

Hello, is there a way to disable connection logging for a specific service? Or eventually to disable /var/log/secure in general? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TehOne
2 Replies

7. Cybersecurity

/var/log/secure* mysteriously empty!

Hello everyone. I'm a newbie and this is my first post, and I'm hoping to get some help understanding what happened on my server. I did as much research as I could, but now I turn to the forums for help :) I've set up a VPS server and I "thought" I had good enough security on it, but all of a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: antondev
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Difference between /var/log/syslog and /var/adm/messages

Hi, Is the contents in /var/log/syslog and /var/adm/messages are same?? Regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vks47
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can view log messages between two time frame from /var/log/message or any type of log files

How can view log messages between two time frame from /var/log/message or any type of log files. when logfiles are very big and especially many messages with in few minutes, I would like to display log messages between 5 minute interval. Could you pls give me the command? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: johnveslin
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Transfer the logs being thrown into /var/log/messages into another file example /var/log/volumelog

I have been searching and reading about syslog. I would like to know how to Transfer the logs being thrown into /var/log/messages into another file example /var/log/volumelog. tail -f /var/log/messages dblogger: msg_to_dbrow: no logtype using missing dblogger: msg_to_dbrow_str: val ==... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenshinhimura
2 Replies
scsi_sense_key(9F)					   Kernel Functions for Drivers 					scsi_sense_key(9F)

NAME
scsi_sense_key, scsi_sense_asc, scsi_sense_ascq - retrieve fields from SCSI sense data SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/scsi/scsi.h> uint8_t scsi_sense_key(uint8_t *sense_buffer); uint8_t scsi_sense_asc(uint8_t *sense_buffer); uint8_t scsi_sense_ascq(uint8_t *sense_buffer); INTERFACE LEVEL
Solaris DDI specific (Solaris DDI). PARAMETERS
sense_buffer Pointer to a buffer containing SCSI sense data. The sense data is expected in wire format starting at the response code. It can be in either fixed or descriptor format. DESCRIPTION
The scsi_sense_key() function returns the sense key value from the sense data contained in the sense_buffer. The scsi_sense_asc() function returns the additional sense code (ASC) value from the sense data contained in the sense_buffer. The scsi_sense_ascq() function returns the additional sense code qualifier (ASCQ) value from the sense data contained in the sense_buffer. The scsi_sense_key(), scsi_sense_asc(), and scsi_sense_ascq() functions are used to retrieve values from SCSI sense data, regardles of whether the sense data is in fixed format or descriptor format. Drivers should use scsi_validate_sense(9F) to ensure that valid sense key, asc, and ascq values are present in the sense data. RETURN VALUES
The scsi_sense_key() function returns the sense key value from the sense buffer. The scsi_sense_asc() function returns the additional sense code (ASC) from the sense buffer and the scsi_sense_ascq() function returns the additional sense code qualifier (ASCQ) from the sense buf- fer. CONTEXT
The scsi_sense_key(), scsi_sense_asc(), and scsi_sense_ascq() functions can be called from user or interrupt context. SEE ALSO
scsi_ext_sense_fields(9F), scsi_find_sense_descr(9F), scsi_sense_cmdspecific_uint64(9F), scsi_sense_info_uint64(9F), scsi_vali- date_sense(9F) SunOS 5.11 28 Jun 2006 scsi_sense_key(9F)