Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell script delete log files from folder & subfolders on space usage Post 302299984 by cfajohnson on Sunday 22nd of March 2009 07:34:30 PM
Old 03-22-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by saha
Hi,
I am trying to write a shell script to delete logs generate by db when space in the folder reaches 70%. i am getting space values from db, find the files at OS and remove them by using a cron job runs every 5minutes.
I have to keep the latest 5 files at any time, my problem is that log files are generated based on today date folder eg:
2009_03_20, 2009_03_21, 2009_03_22 etc. and
a log file is generate at 30 time interval gap or may generate 2 files per minute depends upon db activity.

how to keep only latest 5 files and remove rest of the files
my script looks like this in linux env.

Please put code inside [code] tags.
Quote:
Code:
#! bin/bash
ORACLE_SID="$1"
limit=$2

export $ORACLE_SID
fdir=/tmp/log
export $fdir

Why are you trying to export these variables? I see nothing in the script that would require it.

If you did need it, those commands would not export the variables.

Code:
export ORACLE_SID fdir ## no $

Quote:
Code:
export ORACLE_HOME=`grep $ORACLE_SID: /etc/oratab |awk -F: '{print $2}'`
sqlplus -s "/ as sysdba" <<EOF >$fdir/fravalue
@$fdir/arclg_db.sql
EOF

fradest=`cat $fdir/fravalue |awk '{print $1}'`
spaceused=`cat $fdir/fravalue |awk '{print $2}'`

You don't need awk and even if you did, you would certainly not need cat.

Code:
read fradest spaceused < $fdir/fravalue

Quote:
Code:
if [ $spaceused -gt $limit ]; then
  echo "time to delete archivelogs to free up space"
  find $fradest/$ORACLE_SID/archivelog -type f -maxdepth 2 -printf "%T@\t%p\n"|
     sort -k1,1n |
      cut -f2- |
       sed '$d' |
        rm -rf

You haven't supplied any filenames to rm; rm does not read from the standard input. Perhaps you meant:

Code:
xargs rm -rf

Quote:
Code:
 else
     echo "Not required to delete logs.. lots of space"
 fi

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Basic Q: getting list of all files of type within folder & subfolders

A painfully rudimentary UNIX question for somebody. I've been puzzling over this for the last hour but can't find the right command. I'm simply trying to get a list of all files - and their full paths - within a folder & subfolders which have extension .php and .js. That's it! No amount of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AtomicPenguin
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to learn the number of files under a particular folder, containing subfolders

Hi ALL I would like know how many files there under a particular folder, which contains subfolders. Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cy163
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to obtain a count of files in a folder and it's subfolders

First of all, the extent of my unix knowledge is next to nil. I've been able to telnet to a unix box, and thanks to the Computer Hope website, I've been able to learn a few basic commands to navigate from folder to folder, and view contents. What I really need to do is obtain a count of all... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scarfinv
2 Replies

4. Homework & Coursework Questions

unique words in files of folder and its subfolders

Hello, I tried to count all unique words of all files in one folder and its subfolders. Can anybody say me, why this doesnt work: ls| find -d | cat | tr "\ " "\n"| uniq -u | wc -l ??? Cat writes only the names of those files, but not the wors, which should be in them. Thanks for any advice. ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dworza
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Script to find the disk usage and to delete the files which is consuming more space

Hi All, I have written a script to check the file system usage and to delete the files which is consuming more space.Please check whether the script is corrcet #Script Starts here #!/usr/local/bin/perl #Program to find the disk space and to delete the older files #Checks the type of OS... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkarthick
8 Replies

6. Red Hat

Need Script to ZIP/SAVE & then DELETE Log file & DELETE ZIPS older than 12 months

ENVIROMENT Linux: Fedora Core release 1 (Yarrow) iPlanet: iPlanet-WebServer-Enterprise/6.0SP1 Log Path: /usr/iplanet/servers/https-company/logs I have iPlanet log rotation enabled rotating files on a daily basis. The rotated logs are NOT compressed & are taking up too much space. I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: zachs
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Get files & delete them by shell script

I want to use my script to get any file then delete it once it transfers to my side , I manage to create below script to generate "list" file which contains all file names in "10.10.1.1" then I made "a.out" file which contains the commands that I want to run it on "10.10.1.1" to get & delete the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arm
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

SFTP Shell Script Get & Delete && Upload & Delete

Hi All, Do you have any sample script, - auto get file from SFTP remote server and delete file in remove server after downloaded. - only download specify filename - auto upload file from local to SFTP remote server and delete local folder file after uploaded - only upload specify filename ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: weesiong
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting a folder containing different files into subfolders

I have a folder with 4000 (*3) files like gr_q4_gb-1.anc gr_q4_gb-1.anc_cdr_st.txt gr_q4_gb-1.anc_cdr_tr.txt gr_q4_gb-2.anc gr_q4_gb-2.anc_cdr_st.txt gr_q4_gb-2.anc_cdr_tr.txt gr_q4_gb-3.anc gr_q4_gb-3.anc_cdr_st.txt gr_q4_gb-3.anc_cdr_tr.txt . . gr_q4_gb-4000.anc... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sammy777888
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Request for Shell script to move files from Subfolder to Parent folder and delete sub folder

Hi Team, I am new to shell script and there is a requirement where files should be moved from Subfolder to parent folder. Eg: parent folder --> /Interface/data/test/IN Sub folder -->/Interface/data/test/IN/Invoice20180607233338 Subfolder will be always with timestamp... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: srivarun15
6 Replies