Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting SUPER simple bash script to repeat a command... Post 302299978 by cfajohnson on Sunday 22nd of March 2009 06:51:27 PM
Old 03-22-2009

Code:
period=${1:-60} ## default to every 60 seconds
while :
do
  sleep $period &
  igal -a -r -U -w 6
  wait
done

Or, put an entry in your contab file.

Or, if you have the watch command:

Code:
watch -n "$period"  igal -a -r -U -w 6

etc., etc., etc....

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple Bash Script

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong but as I am new to bash shell scripting I'm not sure what: Here's the code webalizer.conf is sitting in the same directory as this file which is named webalizer.sh. Can someone tell me if I've got the syntax right -- it that's correct? I'm executing the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xaphalanx
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple BASH script?

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum so forgive me if I'm sounding ... daft. I currently work in a Tech Support role. Every day we have to generate data by running around 10 .sh scripts. I was thinking instead of having to ./filename 10 times is it possible to right a new script that will run these for... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: JayC89
16 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple bash script

I am writing a shell script in bash one of the thing I want to show is size of export /home du -sk /export/home/oracle | cut -c 1-5 echo "kbytes" when I run the script kbytes shows up in the second line, How can I append kbytes on the same line, such as 61233 kbytes please guide thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tirmazi
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple bash script permission

I have a bash script, but it needs to have a simple protection with password. So if a user wants to run the script , there should be a kdialog to asks for a password.If the password is correct the script starts to run. It should not be the passord of root or another admin user.Just a password in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: poort
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

need a simple bash script

to gather the cpu utilization from a system in 5 minute intervals and direct output to file. I'm new at scripting and while this seems like an easy task I'm confused on where to start. thanks for any help (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mkeyes001
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple bash script help

Hi to everyone here, I'm a new user and relatively-new linuxer. I'm trying to write a script that checks if every file from a directory is present in a given list and if not, delete it. should be simple. But I think I've done half the work only: this is to create the reference list: for c... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dentex
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help understanding a simple command in BASH

This is the command. Assume file1 exists but file2 does not: ls file1 file2 >newfile 2>&1 This simply makes a text file with two lines: file1 \n file2 could not be found. What I don't understand is that when you run this command: ls file1 file2 >newfile, it prints "file2 could not be found" to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: phunkypants
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Another Simple BASH command I don't understand. Help?

I have a text file called file1 which contains the text: "ls -l" When I enter this command: bash < file1 > file1 file1 gets erased. However if I enter this command: bash < file1 > newfile the output from "ls -l" is stored in newfile. My question is why doesn't file1's text ("ls -l") get... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phunkypants
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help making simple perl or bash script to create a simple matrix

Hello all! This is my first post and I'm very new to programming. I would like help creating a simple perl or bash script that I will be using in my work as a junior bioinformatician. Essentially, I would like to take a tab-delimted or .csv text with 3 columns and write them to a "3D" matrix: ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: torchij
16 Replies

10. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Super Simple Script to remove first characters of any png file

Well I searched the net with varying success, but it seems kinda hard to find a one/max 2 lined command to: strip all *.png files in the folder from their first two characters. Any help is appreciated. In DOS commandline of course... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: pasc
17 Replies
shells(4)							   File Formats 							 shells(4)

NAME
shells - shell database SYNOPSIS
/etc/shells DESCRIPTION
The shells file contains a list of the shells on the system. Applications use this file to determine whether a shell is valid. See getuser- shell(3C). For each shell a single line should be present, consisting of the shell's path, relative to root. A hash mark (#) indicates the beginning of a comment; subsequent characters up to the end of the line are not interpreted by the routines which search the file. Blank lines are also ignored. The following default shells are used by utilities: /bin/bash, /bin/csh, /bin/jsh, /bin/ksh, /bin/ksh93, /bin/pfcsh, /bin/pfksh, /bin/pfsh, /bin/sh, /bin/tcsh, /bin/zsh, /sbin/jsh, /sbin/sh, /usr/bin/bash, /usr/bin/csh, /usr/bin/jsh, /usr/bin/ksh, /usr/bin/ksh93, /usr/bin/pfcsh, /usr/bin/pfksh, /usr/bin/pfsh, and /usr/bin/sh, /usr/bin/tcsh, /usr/bin/zsh, and /usr/sfw/bin/zsh. /etc/shells overrides the default list. Invalid shells in /etc/shells could cause unexpected behavior, such as being unable to log in by way of ftp(1). FILES
/etc/shells list of shells on system SEE ALSO
vipw(1B), ftpd(1M), sendmail(1M), getusershell(3C), aliases(4) SunOS 5.11 20 Nov 2007 shells(4)