Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: uname -S newhostname
Operating Systems AIX uname -S newhostname Post 302299905 by shockneck on Sunday 22nd of March 2009 05:28:11 AM
Old 03-22-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by senmak
no tony i gave uname -S ********* after cmd xcecution its shows only after putting this cmd uname -n but not in the #prmpt ie. sen***#
As an AIX admin you'd change hostname with
Code:
# hostname <whatever>

and uname with
Code:
# uname -S <whatever>

These are different things.

If you want to see the hostname in the shell prompt you'd probably assign hostname -s to a variable in .profile and use it to adapt PS1. Sample:
Code:
export NODE=`hostname -s`

export PS1='($?)$NODE:$PWD > '

You could do sth. similar with uname -s of course.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

uname -S

hi , i have made a mistake :( on the production enviourment by change tha host name . after that i returned back the old name. but i think this will not afeect the system until reboot the machine. laso i tried to telnet the syetem by the host name not by the IP address and it works fine. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: habuzahra
2 Replies

2. Linux

Uname

what is the difference between uname -m and uname -i what it actually means (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dileepsp
2 Replies

3. Solaris

uname help

hi all, Operating System Name : Unix Sun Solaris Operating system release level : 5.10 Operating system version : Generic_137111-06 i know the release level that is kernel version Generic_137111-06 what is number... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: coxmanchester
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Uname command

Hi, Can anyone let me know the -n option in uname command in unix? Gone through the man pages of uname, but unable to interpret. Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: venkatesht
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tr command with uname -n

Using the command : echo $eup_terminal_code | tr -s 'mil vrn qcm' 'mci pql qcm' it works,but this translation changes depending on the system. I'd like to define the following variables ,one for each system : mil22h_from='mil vrn frl' mil22h_to='mci vci fci' ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pierluigi.sala
4 Replies

6. Fedora

uname too vague?

Hi all, I am ssh'ed into a cluster and want to install a package. However, I don't know which type to chose (CentOS, Fedora, OpenSuSE are some of the options). I ran called uname with various arguments but none are specific... $ uname -n resolute.research... $ uname -i x86_64 $ uname... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: neurorad
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

uname -a output

Can anyone please let me know the meaning of output of uname -a ? I am totally new to unix or linux and just thinking to start learning. When I run uname -a the output I get is - "Linux blx28ap01 2.6.18-238.12.1.el5 #1 SMP Sat May 7 20:18:50 EDT 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux" I want to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: csrohit
7 Replies

8. Solaris

uname -a

bssmsrv223:/ 53 ] uname -a SunOS bssmsrv223 5.10 Generic_118833-36 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V245 bssmsrv223:/ 54 ] what does 118833-36 denotes in Generic_118833-36 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hiten.r.chauhan
2 Replies

9. Linux

Difference between UNAME and WHO

Hi, What is the exact output tells me when i issued UNAME and WHO ? Regards, Nantha.Y (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nandy
2 Replies
gethostname(2)							System Calls Manual						    gethostname(2)

NAME
gethostname() - get name of current host system SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
returns in the array to which hostname points, the standard host name for the current system as set by (see sethostname(2)). size speci- fies the length of the hostname array. hostname is null-terminated unless insufficient space is provided. RETURN VALUE
returns 0 if successful. Otherwise, it returns -1 and sets to indicate the error. ERRORS
can fail if the following is true: hostname points to an illegal address. The reliable detection of this error is implementation dependent. size is less than one. WARNINGS
It is recommended that programs use to dynamically size the buffer used to accept the host name from This is preferred over use of the con- stant. For cases where the constant must be used, there are two values: 64 and 256. The smaller value is compatible with current releases and is used by default. To use the larger value consult the related documentation (see nodehostnamesize(5)). The administrator may, with appropriate configuration options enabled, set a host name larger than 64 bytes. Existing applications which were compiled using the smaller to size a buffer passed to the system function obtain only the first 64 bytes. This truncation may cause the applications to exhibit anomalous behavior or to fail. AUTHOR
was developed by the University of California, Berkeley. SEE ALSO
hostname(1), uname(1), sethostname(2), uname(2), nodehostnamesize(5). gethostname(2)