Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: uname -S newhostname
Operating Systems AIX uname -S newhostname Post 302299905 by shockneck on Sunday 22nd of March 2009 05:28:11 AM
Old 03-22-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by senmak
no tony i gave uname -S ********* after cmd xcecution its shows only after putting this cmd uname -n but not in the #prmpt ie. sen***#
As an AIX admin you'd change hostname with
Code:
# hostname <whatever>

and uname with
Code:
# uname -S <whatever>

These are different things.

If you want to see the hostname in the shell prompt you'd probably assign hostname -s to a variable in .profile and use it to adapt PS1. Sample:
Code:
export NODE=`hostname -s`

export PS1='($?)$NODE:$PWD > '

You could do sth. similar with uname -s of course.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

uname -S

hi , i have made a mistake :( on the production enviourment by change tha host name . after that i returned back the old name. but i think this will not afeect the system until reboot the machine. laso i tried to telnet the syetem by the host name not by the IP address and it works fine. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: habuzahra
2 Replies

2. Linux

Uname

what is the difference between uname -m and uname -i what it actually means (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dileepsp
2 Replies

3. Solaris

uname help

hi all, Operating System Name : Unix Sun Solaris Operating system release level : 5.10 Operating system version : Generic_137111-06 i know the release level that is kernel version Generic_137111-06 what is number... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: coxmanchester
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Uname command

Hi, Can anyone let me know the -n option in uname command in unix? Gone through the man pages of uname, but unable to interpret. Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: venkatesht
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tr command with uname -n

Using the command : echo $eup_terminal_code | tr -s 'mil vrn qcm' 'mci pql qcm' it works,but this translation changes depending on the system. I'd like to define the following variables ,one for each system : mil22h_from='mil vrn frl' mil22h_to='mci vci fci' ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pierluigi.sala
4 Replies

6. Fedora

uname too vague?

Hi all, I am ssh'ed into a cluster and want to install a package. However, I don't know which type to chose (CentOS, Fedora, OpenSuSE are some of the options). I ran called uname with various arguments but none are specific... $ uname -n resolute.research... $ uname -i x86_64 $ uname... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: neurorad
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

uname -a output

Can anyone please let me know the meaning of output of uname -a ? I am totally new to unix or linux and just thinking to start learning. When I run uname -a the output I get is - "Linux blx28ap01 2.6.18-238.12.1.el5 #1 SMP Sat May 7 20:18:50 EDT 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux" I want to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: csrohit
7 Replies

8. Solaris

uname -a

bssmsrv223:/ 53 ] uname -a SunOS bssmsrv223 5.10 Generic_118833-36 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V245 bssmsrv223:/ 54 ] what does 118833-36 denotes in Generic_118833-36 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hiten.r.chauhan
2 Replies

9. Linux

Difference between UNAME and WHO

Hi, What is the exact output tells me when i issued UNAME and WHO ? Regards, Nantha.Y (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nandy
2 Replies
MINGETTY(8)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						       MINGETTY(8)

NAME
mingetty - minimal getty for consoles SYNOPSIS
mingetty [--noclear] [--long-hostname] tty DESCRIPTION
mingetty is a minimal getty for use on virtual consoles. Unlike agetty(8), mingetty is not suitable for serial lines. I recommend using mgetty(8) for this purpose. OPTIONS
--noclear Do not clear the screen before prompting for the login name (the screen is normally cleared). --long-hostname By default the hostname is only printed until the first dot. With this option enabled, the full text from gethostname() is shown. ISSUE ESCAPES
mingetty recognizes the following escapes sequences which might be embedded in the /etc/issue file: d insert current day (localtime), l insert line on which mingetty is running, m inserts machine architecture (uname -m), inserts machine's network node hostname (uname -n), o inserts domain name, inserts operating system release (uname -r), insert current time (localtime), s inserts operating system name, u resp. U the current number of users which are currently logged in. U inserts "n users", where as u only inserts "n". v inserts operating system version (uname -v). EXAMPLE
"Linux eos i386 #1 Tue Mar 19 21:54:09 MET 1996" was produced by putting "s m v" into /etc/issue. FILES
/etc/issue, /var/run/utmp. SEE ALSO
mgetty(8), agetty(8). AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1996 Florian La Roche <florian@suse.de> or <florian@jurix.jura.uni-sb.de>. Man-page written by David Frey <David.Frey@eos.lugs.ch> and Florian La Roche. Debian-Local 6 Apr 1996 MINGETTY(8)