Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed help to convert from lowercase to uppercase and vice versa! Post 302299767 by salman4u on Saturday 21st of March 2009 08:38:17 AM
Old 03-21-2009
thanks Whiteboard Smilie
yeah you are right! a more simple code (if any exists) would be more interesting because it requires writing 26 *4 characters
anyways thanks a lot Whiteboard.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

binary to string conversion and vice versa

please let me know that in unix using c programming language we can do binary to string conversion and vice versa using ltoa and atol but how can we do it in c++ programming language. thank you in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kinnaree
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How convert lowercase or uppercase

It will only accept one argument where it should be upper or lowercase. if user choose to convert filnames to upper case than it should convert to upper or vice versa. if no action taken by the user then should not do anything any of the files in the current directory. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alex20
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Epoch Time to Standard Date and Time & Vice Versa

Hi guys, I know that this topic has been discuss numerous times, and I have search the net and this forum for it. However, non able to address the problem I faced so far. I am on Solaris Platform and unable to install additional packages like the GNU date and gawk to make use of their... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: DrivesMeCrazy
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pdf to text conversion and vice versa

Hi, I have a pdf file. i want to convert it to text file and do some work on it and later want to convert it back to pdf. Can this be done via unix? or Is there a way unix can directly work on PDF file? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saltysumi
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Appending from a file to a script and vice versa

Hi, I am new to Unix and discovered this example problem online that I believe will help my learning: Run the command's below env >> xx env >> xx env >> xx env >> xx env >> xx You will now have a file called XX with the env redirected into it 5 times Create a script named... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jimmy_c
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Uppercase to lowercase and vice versa

shell script to convert file names from UPPERCASE to lowercase file names or vice versa in linux anybody please help me out!!!! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacky29
5 Replies

7. Ubuntu

What is the advantage of ubuntu over vista and vice versa?

i am thinking of replacing my vista with ubuntu. Questions: 1) what will be the advantages and disadvantages of using ubuntu instead of vista? 2) what will be the setbacks of replacing my vista? 3) how hard is it to cope up with the new OS? what must i learn to utilize ubuntu? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anna Hussie
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert lowercase to uppercase

listprocs.sh contains ps -ef | grep "swikar" 1) Write a shell script to convert an input file to all upper case. Name your shell script toupper.sh. Hint: tr ' ' ' ' will convert all lower case letters to upper case To use your script, try the following command: cat... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: swikar
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with scp from one server to the other (but not vice versa)

Hi I have a system PRIMARY where I can push or pull files to/from STANDBY using scp. I can also ssh without entering a password. On the STANDBY system if I try and use scp or ssh it asks for a password. I checked in ~/.ssh and there was no authorized_keys file on the PRIMARY server. After... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrrossi
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED (or other) upper to lowercase, with first letter of first word in each sentence uppercase

The title pretty much defines the problem. I have text files that are all in caps. I would like to convert them to lowercase, but have the first letter of the first word in each sentence in uppercase. I already have SED on the server for fixing / tweaking text files, but I'm open to other... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dockline
5 Replies
TOUPPER(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							TOUPPER(3)

NAME
toupper, tolower, toupper_l, tolower_l - convert uppercase or lowercase SYNOPSIS
#include <ctype.h> int toupper(int c); int tolower(int c); int toupper_l(int c, locale_t locale); int tolower_l(int c, locale_t locale); Feature Test Macro Requirements for glibc (see feature_test_macros(7)): toupper_l(), tolower_l(): Since glibc 2.10: _XOPEN_SOURCE >= 700 Before glibc 2.10: _GNU_SOURCE DESCRIPTION
These functions convert lowercase letters to uppercase, and vice versa. If c is a lowercase letter, toupper() returns its uppercase equivalent, if an uppercase representation exists in the current locale. Oth- erwise, it returns c. The toupper_l() function performs the same task, but uses the locale referred to by the locale handle locale. If c is an uppercase letter, tolower() returns its lowercase equivalent, if a lowercase representation exists in the current locale. Oth- erwise, it returns c. The tolower_l() function performs the same task, but uses the locale referred to by the locale handle locale. If c is neither an unsigned char value nor EOF, the behavior of these functions is undefined. The behavior of toupper_l() and tolower_l() is undefined if locale is the special locale object LC_GLOBAL_LOCALE (see duplocale(3)) or is not a valid locale object handle. RETURN VALUE
The value returned is that of the converted letter, or c if the conversion was not possible. ATTRIBUTES
For an explanation of the terms used in this section, see attributes(7). +-------------------------+---------------+---------+ |Interface | Attribute | Value | +-------------------------+---------------+---------+ |toupper(), tolower(), | Thread safety | MT-Safe | |toupper_l(), tolower_l() | | | +-------------------------+---------------+---------+ CONFORMING TO
toupper(), tolower(): C89, C99, 4.3BSD, POSIX.1-2001, POSIX.1-2008. toupper_l(), tolower_l(): POSIX.1-2008. NOTES
The standards require that the argument c for these functions is either EOF or a value that is representable in the type unsigned char. If the argument c is of type char, it must be cast to unsigned char, as in the following example: char c; ... res = toupper((unsigned char) c); This is necessary because char may be the equivalent signed char, in which case a byte where the top bit is set would be sign extended when converting to int, yielding a value that is outside the range of unsigned char. The details of what constitutes an uppercase or lowercase letter depend on the locale. For example, the default "C" locale does not know about umlauts, so no conversion is done for them. In some non-English locales, there are lowercase letters with no corresponding uppercase equivalent; the German sharp s is one example. SEE ALSO
isalpha(3), newlocale(3), setlocale(3), towlower(3), towupper(3), uselocale(3), locale(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
2017-09-15 TOUPPER(3)